“Best in the Area”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Columbus, Ohio
“Best in the Area”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Was in the area for a short trip. I got in late at night and had another motel booked it was horrible as soon as we could the next morning we got out of there.
I tried calling Country Inn and it was booked so we went and ate brks. and I decided to drive the main road of the area to see if there was any decent hotels. There weren't. So I stopped at the Country Inn to see if maybe something opened up.
I explained the situation to the ladies working and they were wonderful. There was a suit available. The main room had a couch, table & chairs,closet, micro,fridge,coffee pot,sink area, tv and a king bed. then there were glass doors for a small room with 2 twin beds & tv. Really no view just parking lot and trees. Bathroom was a nice size. Everything was clean and new looking. I paid more then I wanted to but it was worth it. There was an indoor pool, wirlpool area with towels and an outside sitting area. The hotel is no smoking even in the front outside where the rockers are but they have a gazebo and swing area you can smoke in. It's also in walking distance of stores and food. It's about 5min. drive from the state park & beach.

• Liked — The ladies working there
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Justonia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Almond, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 14, 2008

every thing here was really great. the people at the service desk was really nice. The rooms were very clean. family friendly place.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Stayed in Zion the night prior to flying out of Chicago Midway. The hotel was clean and quiet. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate. Close to the state park on Lake Michigan which was a welcome suprise - nice beach and good walking. Do not take the walking path behind the hotel - there were several homeless/questionable people camped out back there. We decided to turn around and take the car to the park. The hotel was about an hour from the airport and a good value compared to hotels closer into downtown Chicago.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank FlTravel78
not available
Reviewed September 19, 2007

We arrived at the hotel and realized that the hotel is located, nestled in the back in a very quiet area. No heavy traffic at all. We went to front desk and was vibrantly greeted by Rachel. She was so pleasant. We had so many horrible experiences at our previous stays that we were surprised at her customer service. Finally, someone who knew how to do her job. We actually arrived for a wedding and after the wedding we could not wait to get back to the hotel because of its quietness and coziness. The rooms are actually very lovely and new. The matching of the decorations in the entire hotel is very lovely and very complementing. The hotel also has a small gift shop, which we had never seen in other Country Inn & Suites. After the wedding, we sat on the patio which has picnic tables and rocking chairs. Not much of a view though. But the quietness and tranquilness of the location, you will soon forget about the view. The pool area and the hot tub is kept up. The hot tub is huge. All of the cleaning staff actually greet you with a smile. The Hotel also provides a shuttle to local activities. Which was so cool! This hotel is definitely under rated! We will be back every year when visiting the Waukegan Area. This hotel is worth the drive to Zion. On our trip we stayed at 4 hotels and all of the other hotels were horrible experiences. It was so funny, because whenever we met a rude front desk person, my family would joke, "She is definitely not a rachel!" And we would all laugh. We absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Customer Service/Cleanliness/Coziness of Rooms
  • Disliked — No view
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tourwithme7
Kansas
Reviewed August 19, 2007

It was a good change of pace for me and my wife. We enjoyed the Jacuzzi room alot. It was nice and clean and we had great service for any questions we had. Breakfast was a great way to end a perfect weekend. I recomend it!

Stayed March 2006
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed here overnight while visiting some friends in nearby Winthrop Harbor. The check in was a breeze and the portable crib was waiting for us. We went to dinner and realized I had no clue how to set a portable crib up. One of the night clerks said "we'll go up and figure it out together". She helped me set it up for my sleeping baby and wished us a good night. The workout room is wonderful and breakfast, though the norm for a hotel was made wonderful by their cheery 'breakfast lady' with whom my son made immediate friends with. Checkout was a snap and we were on our way. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! I could not have asked for a better hotel!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My family and I (My parents, husband, and 3 children ages 12, 7, and 4) spent 7 nights in this nice, good as new property while visiting family in Zion.
For our purposes the location was ideal, situated right off of Sheridan road, which goes right through Zion. A grocery store and Kmart are just a couple hundred feet away. The Illinois Beach State Park is just a minute away. Although Chicago isn't an easy drive from Zion, there is a train station less than a mile away, off of Shiloh Blvd. The train ride to downtown Chicago is just over an hour.
One of our favorite features of this hotel is the free breakfast. We were surprised to find fresh waffles (pre-measured batter is placed next to the Belgian waffle maker,) yogurt, fresh donuts from a local bakery, muffins, bagels, bread for toast, English Mufffins, biscuits and gravy, eggs, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, milk, juices, coffee, and tea were all provided every morning for several hours. It saved us a lot of money and was considerably better than your average "continental breakfast" that many other hotels provide.
Housekeeping was great. Our room was cleaned and towels, shampoos, etc were replenished everyday. My mother, who is very friendly, introduced herself to the women who were cleaning on her floor and they often left friendly notes for her and layed out our daughters stuffed animals across the bed in a orderly fashion. My older daughter hugged them all and almost cried saying goodbye.
Although I'm not a fan of Country Style decor I was quite pleased with our room. Room 319 is an Executive Suite, with 2 queen beds in the bedroom which is separated from the rest of the suite by a glass-paned door. We had a separate sitting room which has a couch that folds out to a twin-sized bed. The sitting area has it's own television, which came in handy when the children wanted to play and watch TV while we watched our own programs in the bedroom. My mother stayed in a standard room with 2 queen beds and was pleased with the space and the price.
The pool is small but very clean and we enjoyed the Jacuzzi while the children played in the pool. We were able to access the internet from a computer in the breakfast room and there is a laundry room where you can wash your clothes.
The overall feel of the hotel is calm and serene. Many of the guests are cancer patients and their families. My father talked with many of the guests while rocking in one of the many chairs on the front porch of the hotel (my mother is a cancer survivor so we can relate) and found everyone one to be very friendly.
I will definately return to the Country Inn Suites and will most likely look to stay at other locations of the same name thanks to this experience.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Country Decor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank JackandSally
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zion
Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center
The Inn at Market Square
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion? Share your experiences!