WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Villa Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zion
La Villa Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I won't be back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

We were in a pinch for hotels in Zion, IL. If you look here on TA, every property has up and down reviews. I really have no idea why. The only consistently reviewed property is the Country Inn, but that costs upwards of $170 per night.

We were going to be in Zion for a funeral. We wouldn't be in until midnight, and we'd be checking out at 8:30AM or so as the visitation was a 9AM. We really only needed a place to stay and $170 is just a bit too expensive for us for 8 hours of use.

So we tried La Villa.

Let me preface this by saying that predominantly I stay in the big chains when I travel. Hawthorne Suites most often then other big chain suites from there on down. I am used to the cookie-cutter cleanliness of properly kept properties.

La Villa is your typical mom and pop roadside motel. I really don't mean to give it only 1 star, because it wasn't the worst in the world. The room was cleanish, it just smelled a little funny. The water worked, the beds were made. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

It just SEEMED and LOOKED like a dive. I didn't know "for sure" whether the sheets and pillowcases were washed since the last occupant, or just the bed made. Though we didn't find any evidence to suggest this is the case, it just "SEEMED" like it MAY be the case.

Again, you don't "know for certain" in the big chains either, but I sure feel better about my chances. It wasn't MY typical motel and it certainly wasn't a big chain.

My mother and father in-law stayed in the same place and my wife said that their room was much, much better than ours.

I hate to give the folks running the place only one star. I mean, to make our room look more professional, it'd need major renovation and I'm sure it isn't high on their list.

This really isn't a bad review of the property. I just can't recommend it to folks, like me, that are used to that "big chain" feel. But if you are used to sleeping in bargain motels, I imagine this wasn't so bad.

The neighborhood was nice. Compared to the other reviews you read for other hotels in Zion, the La Villa is quite nice.

It just isn't "my brand" of nice. To each his own I guess. I guess I'm going to give it two stars, but only because this type of motel isn't my thing. I'm sure there are MUCH worse places that deserve the title "Terrible" that is the one star definition.

Myself, if I'm back in Zion, I'll just go to a major chain in North Chicago that will be only a few miles out of Zion and just commute.

• Liked — It was close to the funeral home we were going to.
  • Disliked — I just felt like I had failed in life "having" to stay in such a place instead of a major chain.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
6 Thank JSmails

Travelers are raving about these Zion hotels

Couples
Solo
Business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion
The Inn at Market Square
No photo provided
Sun Inn Motel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop Harbor
Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center
Harborside Inn & Kenosha Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha

Been to La Villa Motel? Share your experiences!