“Restaurant Impossible inspired visit”
Review of Angelo's - CLOSED

Angelo's
Cuisines: Diner
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Restaurant Impossible inspired visit”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Saw this restaurant featured on restaurant impossible (RI) and since I happened to be driving from Chicago to Madison WI on business, thought I'd take a short detour off the Illinois tollway and check it out for myself. The restaurant is a bit tight on space and the metal chairs didn't quite look right. On the other hand, the service and quality of the food were both very good. I had the greek burger (as featured on the show). It lived up to my expectations with a generous helping of feta cheese and tzatziki sauce. The side dish orzo pasta was also excellent, albeit a bit on the petite side. The burger came with a cup of soup which was fairly average. In short I really enjoyed the burger and the friendly service and found it somewhat ironic that restaurant impossible was showing on the TV in the restaurant (shame it wasn't the episode about this restaurant).

• Visited July 2013

Woodstock, Illinois, United States
“New out of sync, too modern decor, poor service”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Loved Angelo's. It was a typical small town American diner with a giant menu, great standard fare meals with solid mid-level quality food.

Going back after the remodel was an unpleasant experience even before ordering. The original counter that ran along the wall behind the two sided entrance is gone and a small podium stands just inside the door for a hostess to seat you. No hostess was at the door and there is very little room for people waiting to stand-all possible space has been dedicated to seating. The decor is updated and would fit just fine in Evanston, but this is Woodstock and this place no longer has the small town feel. From the reviews it seems some people like it, but not anyone I've talked to who's lived here a while. The seating is probably 1/2 to 2/3rds of what it was because of the removel of 90% of the booths and setting up small 4-toppers with very uncomfortable metal "modern" chairs. Our server was sullen and made us feel like everything she did was a favor to us. The food (breakfast) was, IMHO, not as good as it used to be and is more expensive. Do like that you can use a charge card now, but that's not a reason to go some place that just doesn't reflect in decor, food or service what our town is about. It's one thing to upgrade, another to lose sight of what makes small town restaurants charming. Irvine totally blew this one. IMHO

• Visited June 2013
chicago, IL
“Food was alright, decor nice, but service and price - eh?”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were going through Woodstock for during breakfast time and found Angelo's in the town square area. Nice square area so we went in.

The decor was nice and I see some here of commented it is new. We were seated quickly and the place was about 60-75% full.

Upon looking at the menu, some of the pricing was a bit high we thought for breakfast. For example the 3 pancakes were around $6, but that didn't include anything else and if you wanted to add eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast, etc to that it was like $2.49 for each - not an add on of $2.49 for eggs and bacon or eggs and toast, but each. The omelet may have been the better deal on the menu for approx $8 you received an omelet, hashbrowns and either toast or 2 pancakes.

I ended up with the Denver style omelet which was good (maybe a bit heavy on the onion - but good). My wife said she enjoyed her pancakes. So, the food was alright in our opinion,

The kids meals were good size with 6 smaller pancakes and bacon or sausage, which was nice and a reasonable price on the kids menu.

Service was not the best. No one ever came by for refills on drinks, see if anything additional was needed and only 1 time on my coffee. Waiting for the bill was a bit long when the table had been cleared already and everyone is just sitting there.

Food alright, but price overall high for what you get I think and I wouldn't avoid here or anything, but it wouldn't be my first choice either.

• Visited May 2013
Illinois
“The decor is updated but the food is the same....”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

After hearing that the interior and
menu were completely made over for a TV show, we went back to Angelo's. It is nicer inside - less like a diner - and the printed menus are new. However, the actual food is the same. This is good for me because I like the sweet potato pancakes, but they really would be better with the cinnamon glaze promised in the menu description. Also, this shows me that I don't want to go back for lunch because it will not be an improvement over how it was a year ago (poor service and a sad, skimpy grilled ham & cheese slapped on a plate).

Visited May 2013
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The food was fine although one of the diners with me had an order delivered wrong. We ordered sandwiches and eggs and waited an hour for a party of four. I love a sit down for a couple hours restaurant, but this is not a two hour experience restaurant. Seating is tight.

Visited May 2013