“A little disappointed!”

Public House of Woodstock
Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Owners Brian & Kathryn Loprino, veteran restaurateurs opened their first Public House Restaurant in 2003. By holding true to their creed - Exceptional Food - Great Spirits! They opened an additional location in 2008 serving Crystal Lake.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

After spending an afternoon shopping and perusing restaurant/bar menus along the way, we decided to stop at the Public House because it looked like their menu items were more upscale than your typical bar fair, which is what we found at several of the other places in the area. But while their menu was more extensive and included some pretty pricey steaks, it was a bit of a disappointment. There was really nothing special about the appetizers or entrees we ordered and felt it was overpriced for the quality. The next day had a better (and cheaper) meal at DC Cobbs before leaving town.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We always eat at the Public House when we come back for our annual visit to see my mother-in-law . There is a wide variety of options that will suit every palette. Vegetarian options are a little bit limited but still there. Excellent selection of draft microbrews including many of the locally brewed beers. Cozy atmosphere below street level.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The wife and I stopped in this past Sunday on the recommendation of a friend in the area and were not disappointed. There were maybe a handful of patrons during the bears game. Service was prompt, polite and professional...the hostess "Caressa" was genuinely cheerful. The atmosphere was nostalgic, I love craftsmanship and the older buildings. Although downstairs, we found no disadvantage...it was almost reminiscent of a 20's speakeasy

As appetizers, my wife had the baked French onion while I tried their seafood gumbo. My wife commented that the BFO was great and the gumbo was above average.

She opted for a Pub burger that was served on a nice homemade egg bun with a set of fries. Both the burger and fries were above average in taste...not greasy.

I had the Rueben with their smashed potatoes (stovies). The Rueben was served on butter toasted marble rye and the corned beef was lean and tender. The stovies were fantastic.

Overall the dinner comprised a good atmosphere, good service and quality food. I had a beer to complement the dinner which came for 48 with tip. It was a good experience that I wish was a little less pricey...but for a night on the town it was tolerable.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday I wrote my review and sent a few pictures but needless to say I think hit wrong button oops , so I'm redoing as close a possible because this place is well worth the trouble of reviewing , a good friend had recommended highly so I took a local friend , I am visiting from Texas and wanted something I couldn't get back home , this was definitly not back home kind of place and missed . The people were friendly the min we came in and we had the best service from Steve who recommended the perfect drink to start and wine to go with the meal , very attentive even at the end recommended a dessert that he had us try , a fresh raspberry sauce over the New York style cheesecake and oh so good , he was right. If I lived closer I would def. make it a regular place for me to go to . The dress attire is from right off the lake after boating or in the mood to dress up which makes it quite easy to decide where to eat at , loved the feeling of the place. Mark it on ones trip ! :-) thanks again Steve!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Today was our first visit to Woodstock Public House. Not sure how old the building is, but we liked the genuinely old feel. Atmosphere was dark, to be expected with so much beautiful wood. A scented candle had a sickening fragrance; my husband blew it out so we could enjoy our meal. The menu offered a nice variety, including some unusual salads like lobster, which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. He also got a shrimp gazpacho soup, which he couldn't finish because it tasted like diluted shrimp cocktail sauce. I got a tuna salad sandwich with gluten-free bread and smashed potatoes. On the menu, the tuna salad comes with a croissant and fries, so I was grateful for the substitutions of gluten-free bread and smashed potatoes. The chef had grilled the bread, and it was too greasy to finish. The potatoes were good, not great, but I ate every bite. The waitress had asked us if an up-charge for the gluten-free bread was okay, and we agreed. When the bill came, it turned out to be $2 more, which is outrageous for two bread slices; I felt like I had been penalized for having celiac disease. Service was cheerful and prompt.