“Great location!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wood Dale
ofallon
“Great location!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This hotel was located less than 10 minutes from LEGOLAND and Medieval Times...easy to find, nice, clean, and quiet. The only real complaints I have are small, but worth noting. First, we were charged $5 for "complimentary" bottled water. I have never stayed somewhere and been charged for this. Second, my two small children were excited to go swimming, but less than 5 minutes into it, a group of 15 middle school girls with 1 chaperone joined us, screaming loudly, and quickly taking over the whole pool to play volleyball. This resulted in one of my kids getting hit in the head by the ball. We left shortly there after. Other than those two small complaints, we overall were happy with The Courtyard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad we were so close to your activities. We apologize for any confusion regarding the in-room water - they have a blue tag on each bottle explaining the cost. The pool situation is disturbing as it should be available for everyone and not taken over by a select group of guests. We do apologize for this and hope to see you again if you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Dunoon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

New to the area.. And the hotel is quite nice..

Lobby appears to have been refreshed recently and is quite hip in its decor

Area is drab... As expected not having a car is a huge limiting factor in any type of good time in the US..

Back to the room for more nothing

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Synkuk
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Welcome to the area! We're glad to see that you enjoyed the hotel, though we would like for you to enjoy the area also. Please keep in mind that we do offer complimentary local shuttle within a 5 mile radius of the property so our guests can get out, if needed. The local Metra train station is just down the road that we can take you to if you wanted to ride on the train into Chicago downtown sometime. There is also Woodfield Shopping Mall and the new Fashion Outlets of Chicago Mall in Rosemont, though these would be a short cab ride away. Hope this helps!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had to stay here for a few days while visiting the Chicago land area. It's about 6 miles from O'Hare airport. When you first arrive the lobby is very modern and looks great. There's a boarding pass area to print tickets, tons of seating, a cafe, and a fireplace. But going from the lobby to the rooms there is a huge disconnect in style. The rooms look like they're from the '90s! I'm aware the hotel is in the midst of a remodel and haven't updated their rooms yet but still, it's a bit odd to feel like in one part of the hotel it's very stylish and modern, yet the rest of it isn't. Not a huge deal but just something I noticed.

The staff and price is what makes staying here such a great value. I think I got my room with a nice patio on Priceline for $50 a night. The hotel staff go above and beyond and are all extremely sweet and informative. Everyone from the cashiers at the cafe to the front desk workers to the housecleaners - everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

The cafe has great food and serves Starbucks but is only open in the morning until 10 a.m. for breakfast then reopens from 5p.m. - 10 p.m. for dinner. They have a shuttle that will go anywhere within 5 miles to take you to restaurants in the area.

The location is not great if you're here primarily to be in downtown Chicago but if you need a hotel near the airport this is a great value. Would recommend if I had to stay in the area again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. You mentioned many of our up to date items and yes, our rooms will be renovated shortly and will make us completely fabulous!. We appreciate your comments on our staff because they truly are here for our guests. You are absolutely correct to mention our meal periods and the availability of our free shuttle service because it really is a nice convenience to get out and about, if needed. Chicago is also a short train ride away, as the Metra station is only down the street and we can shuttle you there and back.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hotel needs some serious upgrades... My double lock on my door didn't work at all and it seems like things were constantly being fixed....
The bistro was only open for breakfast and dinner / drinks until. 10pm so food is very limited here. Good food although and the staff is BEYOND accommodating and very very friendly, very happy to meet your needs. I had two occasions where I was driven to the store and pharmacy by the shuttle and that was greatly appreciated . Free wifi which was awesome!! I would stay here again just based on the staff although the hotel needs a serious renovation and more food options :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
We did investigate your door lock issue and did want to let you know the double lock deadbolt feature is operational. When we previously upgraded our door locks to automatic double lock (when the door is closed), the old turn knob/button is still part of the lock case in the room but does not activate anything because the lock comes out automatically. This turn knob was left on to not have an empty hole on the case and a decal stating "automatic deadbolt" was also added. We are excited to see that our staff members stood out for you and thank you for noticing. While we are only serving food for breakfast and dinner meal periods, we do have our complimentary shuttle available for our guests to visit outside restaurants in the area within a 5 mile radius. We also have many menus available at the Front Desk from restaurants that will deliver to the hotel for our guests. We do look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Copperas Cove, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel on 3 occasions, each has been a disaster. We choose this hotel for the location. Each time the staff was lacking. The last stay was so bad, the manager credited our stay. Yes, that is a good thing, but overall, the issues we dealt with did not enhance our vacation time, it created unwanted stress.

Housekeeping heads the issues with this hotel. We found remnants of previous guests food scattered on coffee bar area, touching the coffee cups. Bathroom towels looked as if they had also been used and had stains on them (see photos). There was hair on the shower wall, soap scum in the shower area. And this was after the manager agreed to check our room before we arrived to make sure it was in good shape. He did have the whole room re-cleaned but we had to put our luggage back into the car which was another annoyance.

Also, the desk clerks need better training on the Marriott rewards program and customer service. When I requested an upgrade (and the hotel was only about 10% full during our week long stay) the desk clerk argued with us and I even showed them the website showing this as one of the perks of membership. Staff gave my husband attitude when he asked why the lobby coffee was gone 15 minutes before the indicated time, the hot tub was "out of order" but that was never mentioned when we checked in, usually this is made clear at check-in in other hotels.

The whole staff needs to be re-trained on what customer service is and this hotel could also use a remodel. The carpet every stay was very smelly, like it had never been cleaned. The updated lobby doesn't help with guest room condition nor the service aspects here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cubgirl65
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
We do show your 3 stays with us and actually 2 have been complimentary due to issues that you have expressed even after checkout. We value all our guests, and take very seriously any and all issues brought to our attention in order to correct or improve an issue if present, which we previously have done. The availability for free suite upgrades for our Marriott Rewards members is always based on availability and on the fact that no matter how full the hotel may appear, we still only have 10 suites for sale in this property. During the holidays, these larger suites are sold rather quickly, as was the case when you requested the free upgrade back in Dec 2012, as you referenced above. Our lobby was remodeled to upgrade to the new Bistro concept approximately 2 years ago and we will be renovating our rooms to the newest Marriott Courtyard design version later this year.
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located for my recent business meetings. The price was great (company negotiated rate) but there are some issues. The room is very basic. When I arrived the toilet was constantly flushing and I had to get it repaired. The noise of the heating was very very distracting and very loud, you have to balance 'do you want to be warm and have the heat kick in and out multiple times an hour' or do you 'freeze'. The coffee machine is small and pathetic, and there are no tea bags offered. When I went downstairs the onsite starbucks wanted to charge me for tea bags, but then went and found me some basic ones for free. My room was next to the ice machine, and the elevator but wasn't really that much of a problem. Ironically the room was indicated bya sign outside the room as 'handicapped room' - I didn't ask or need it - but as far as a handicapped room it would have been total fail - the door ways were normal not wider, no lower sink for wheelchair access, no grab rails at the toilet and the solitary grab rail for the bath was poorly positioned - and I would have thought a wheel- in open shower would have been more appropriate. The desk and extremely large wardrobe were poorly located and would have meant a strange angle should I have wanted to watch tv besides making it impossible to get a wheelchair around. The noise of the airport and the wind was quite loud, indicating poor insulation and windows. The staff at the bistro were nice and accommodating. Menu choices (I ate 3 dinners in the hotel) were okay but very limited by night 3 I was struggling to find something I liked. The bed duvet was the thinnest I had ever experienced, another reason I had to have the room temp cranked up. Overall this hotel is mediocre. But the location is perfect, so I would use it again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We apologize for any mechanical issues but am glad to see we got things repaired for you. The coffee makers in our rooms are a 4 cup unit, as we chose this over the 1 cup individual units some hotels have chosen. For Marriott, we always have tea bags available on request. Due to licensing with Starbucks, we would offer their items for sale first, with the option for others complimentary second. The Accessible Room that you were in was actually accessible for 'hearing impaired' and thus not set up for wheelchair access, etc. as you were referencing. We have both types of rooms available, wheelchair accessible and with roll in showers or rooms that have other functions that are available to meet the needs of others possibly with another disability. Again, your room was a hearing impaired accessible room. I'm glad our Bistro staff stood out for you and thank you for your patronage. Our menu can become limited for some but we do offer room service options in the room and other recommendations with outside restaurants for our guests also, with delivery or a short complimentary shuttle ride away.
central Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here recently with the "Bed and Breakfast" package which we paid extra before. But after we got there they said the restaurant was closed for Christmas week. So we paid for the breakfast package but they wouldn't supply us breakfast or compensation even after we mentioned we paid for it at the front desk. We ended up eating at McDonalds. I wrote to the hotel a few days ago telling them they we'd like some compensation since we paid for something that we didn't receive. So far I've gotten no response.

Room Tip: Do not order the breakfast package