“Service levels need lots of work - don't order the breakfast package”

Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wood Dale
central Illinois
“Service levels need lots of work - don't order the breakfast package”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here recently with the "Bed and Breakfast" package which we paid extra before. But after we got there they said the restaurant was closed for Christmas week. So we paid for the breakfast package but they wouldn't supply us breakfast or compensation even after we mentioned we paid for it at the front desk. We ended up eating at McDonalds. I wrote to the hotel a few days ago telling them they we'd like some compensation since we paid for something that we didn't receive. So far I've gotten no response.

Room Tip: Do not order the breakfast package
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
We appreciate your previous communication that we responded to with compensation as you requested, but needed to reiterate that we were indeed open for breakfast on the dates of your stay. Our Bistro restaurant was only closed for the dinner period, as we are required by Marriott Corp. to never close our breakfast in any Courtyard hotel. It looks as if there was a misunderstanding on what actual meal periods were open and closed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Staying on the west side of O'hare is less glamorous than staying on the East Side, but when you are here to get things done this is a solid choice. The lobby was renovated to the new Modern Courtyard design about a year ago, yet the rooms are the same from the previous renovation about 5 years ago. Still plenty nice, large, and comfortable.

The staff is always friendly, and the food selections are more than adequate. I am writing this review while enjoying an Egg Sandwich in the dinning area right now.

Great for business, trips, but I wouldn't come here for a Chicago Experience (just because of location).

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside towards the Common Courtyard are usually a little less noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We may be on the west side of O'Hare but we are also a short drive to the other sides and very close to the new outlet shopping mall and casino on the east side of the airport, as well as just down the street from the local train station that goes directly downtown Chicago! Our rooms are scheduled for a refresh renovation in the first part of 2014 so we will be all up to date. Our Courtyard rooms are typically quieter and have a more appealing view. We definitely are available for any business trips anyone may have in the area with so many corporate headquarters of local companies just down the roads here.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Courtyard Wood Dale is in suburban Chicago. The stay was planned in a way that I could spend weekend in Chicago to do a bit of sight-seeing.

The check-in process was smooth and I was in a room closer to the elevator. I requested for a drop and pick service from wood dale station at the reception (I did not have car and local phone hence needed help). Although, I was given a drop to railway station, there was no pick up from station in evening. This was very disappointing. I could not find a taxi and had to walk for 2 miles to reach hotel. I was very upset. The reception staff said that he had forgot about it. This was the last thing that i expected.

The breakfast at courtyard is quite basic - starbucks coffee and other standard items - not a large variety. The hotel does not have a restaurants and dining is a problem if one does not have car.

Overall, not so good experience even though the room was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I am so sorry for the mix-up with our shuttle service. Normally there would not be a problem dropping off or picking up our guests. Our proximity to the train station to downtown Chicago is one of features of our property and we also can shuttle to local restaurants and shops within a 5 mile radius of the property for our guests as a complimentary service.
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We were pleased with our stay. The room was lovely, liked the layout of bathroom area. Beds were comfortable, lobby nice. Ap preciated the boarding pass station so we could print our passes. Wish you had shuttle service to airport!

• Stayed September 2013
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We are so glad to hear that your stay way pleasant here at Courtyard Wood Dale. The Boarding Pass station is convenient and was a great addition for us when we renovated the lobby. We do offer a local complimentary shuttle but unfortunately the airport run is still just far enough away that we must limit ourselves. We do apologize and look forward to hosting you again in the future at our location.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on business.Hotel was average and service was hit and miss. At breakfast, which we had included in the room, they would change the rules daily. Burdha, who served us at breakfast was rude when I asked why implying I was stupid!

Pro's:

-Close to airport
-Internet in rooms

Con's:

-Not close to anything else
-Rooms dated
-No food options at night
-Airport noise

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
I'm terribly sorry that our service levels were less than what you should have expected. It is obvious that our associates were not on the same page regarding the breakfast included, causing you difficulties. For those companies that have breakfast included, we need to make sure we are more clear and consistent on our answers and service.
Lincoln, Nebraska, Usa
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times. I usually do when I need something kind of close to the airport, which it is.

I stay at a lot of courtyards - this is a pretty typical older property. The lobby has been updated. But it is spread out and starting to look a little old.

The room still has a tub (strongly prefer the step-in shower in newer courtyard. The room and the beds are comfortable. The AC in the room is really load. When it kicks on, you really hear it.

I'd stay here again, but really it is just okay. Nothing great, but nothing really bad, either.

• Stayed August 2013
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to see that our close proximity to the airport helps you out. Our lobby had been recently updated as you said with Marriott's new Bistro concept and we have plans to work into the rooms in the near future. I do want to apologize for the noise from the AC unit. We did go ahead and make some adjustments. We would love to see you again.
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three days and while the staff is very nice. As soon as I got inside the room the door didn't work properly. Then my son went into the bathroom and the toilet didn't flush, I called the front desk. They sent a poor old lady up but she couldn't fix the problem. Needless to say I avoided the bathroom. For what I paid I expected better. Usually all the Marriott I stay are up to date, was dissapointed:(

• Stayed August 2013
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced. While our hotel is not brand new, you still shouldn't have issues as you mentioned. I certainly hope that they were resolved accurately before your checkout.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wood Dale
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk Grove Village at I-290, IL
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#3 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Courtyard Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village - O'Hare
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village - O'Ha...
#10 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca? Share your experiences!