“Probably won't stay here again...”

Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wood Dale
Albany, New York
“Probably won't stay here again...”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'm usually a Hilton guy, but in this case they all seemed to be booked so my assistant put me in a Courtyard. Generally Courtyards equate pretty well to a Hilton Garden Inn and I'm OK with either. In this case this Courtyard is very long in the tooth. It needs major investment in a makeover. There are a lot of little things in the rooms that are broken or missing. The rooms are poorly setup and the furniture is well worn.

Also something I found extremely annoying is that the internet connection (included with your stay) requires you to go back to their home page to re-engage the internet connection. Once I log onto their network they should just let me use the connection without their interrupting my work.

This just solidifies why I'm a Hilton person.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 133 which is by one of the back doors. Good location although you hear people coming...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I'm very sorry that your stay was not better and more pleasant. While we are an older Courtyard property, our renovations should have shown better. Our lobby and Bistro restaurant is only a little over a year old and the rooms were renovated back in 2008. There should have been nothing mising or broken in your room, and obviously we need to address this issue. The internet should have stayed connected and not forced you back to the homepage. I see that I definitely have some areas for us to correct and assure you this information will help me make the necessary changes. I do appreciate your input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Clean rooms, great location only minutes away from the train station and right next to O'Hare Airport. Hotel has been updated to the new Courtyard standards, but seems like it is a little more plush than most. Feels brand new. Cafe staff is very friendly and food is good. Front desk is friendly, professional and very helpful. I did notice a small amount of noise from adjacent rooms, but not unreasonable. Overall very nice. I will stay here anytime I am in the area.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms may be somewhat quieter and will have a better view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you Mr. Tretick for your pleasant review and comments regarding our property. We do like to promote our close proximity to the train and O'Hare Airport. Your recommendation for facing the Courtyard is a good one, and even more perfect in the warmer months as we have the 2 patios available along with our gazebo. Our Bistro and lobby are both just over a year old now and these areas are very welcoming. I'm glad you mentioned the staff as they truly are here to service our guests. We definitely will look forward to a return visit from yourself in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed one night at this property because it was close to a nearby conference I was attending and I prefer Marriott branded properties. The room was clean and comfortable (though the walls between rooms were thinner than I expect from a Courtyard as I could hear the guy in the room adjacent).
The hotel claims to have complimentary shuttle service within 5 miles of the hotel. I asked to be picked up at from the Holiday Inn Elk Grove at 9pm (3.8 miles away) where I was attending a conference. I was told it was outside the pick up area and I would need to take a cab. On checkout the following morning, I again asked for the complimentary shuttle service to the Hoilday Inn Elk Grove at 7:30am and was told the shuttle would not start until 8:30am. I had chosen this hotel specifically for its excellent rate, proximity to my conference, and complimentary shuttle.
Otherwise, the staff were fast and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I know we have spoken personally regarding the difficulties with our free shuttle and I have apologized for the error - we should have provided the service you requested as the location of the conference is actually within our driving range. Being a Marriott Rewards member you knew what to expect and we did create a mishap for you and for that I apologize again. After our conversation, we agreed that you were satisfied with our resolution to your issues. We definitely would love to have you stay with us in the future, if the need arises.
Alabama
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Clean rooms, great location only minutes away from the train station, wonderfully helpful front desk, highly recommended! We stayed here for the Ryder Cup and are very glad we did. They have a nice small cafe on site and a front desk very willing to make reservations at Chicago restaurants. We'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your wonderful recommendation. I'm glad our staff was able to help with all your needs regarding the transportation, reservations and any questions. Ryder Cup was keeping the whole area busy and a little crazy. We would love for you to visit us again in the future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a seminar in Chicago. I chose to stay outside of Chicago for price and quiet. The hotel is located beside O'Hare airport and is close for those people who have to catch flights as it can take upward of an hour to commute from Chicago. The hotel itself is quite nice. It offers free wired/wireless internet (with fairly good service) and free parking. The rooms could use some more soundproofing as you can hear the planes when they fly overhead. There is a small restaurant on site with limited hours, however there is not much selection. There is a pool, hot tub, fitness center, and laundry area available. There is also a little courtyard area in the middle of the hotel which offers a nice place to relax. Commuting into Chicago usually takes about 30-40 minutes, so if you are planning to go there allow yourself lots of time. Overall, this is a nice place to stay for those people who are looking for a budget place that is not right in Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give a review. I'm sorry the airplane noise was disturbing for you. Our Bistro restaurant concept is the new package rolled out from Marriott and does have a limited menu but with a variety. Our local shuttle is also available to our guests to frequent some of the local restaurants in the area. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy our new patio in the courtyard area - it really is a very relaxing area. We do always have competitive and good value rates available for those, such as yourself, that are looking to stay just outside Chicago. Come back again and see us!
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Easy to find, if a bit out of the way. Classic Courtyard quality - great facility, well appointed rooms, spotless and very well maintained bathrooms. Room was nice and quiet, I slept very well. Wish I'd stayed here the next night too. No hotel shuttle to O'Hare. It's not in an interesting neighborhood, but it is a great place to crash for the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dan N, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am so pleased to see that you observed how much we take pride in our property. We are in an area more prone to weekday businesses in the area, but also are close enough to the local commuter trains for the city and short cab rides to O'Hare. We do offer a complimentary shuttle within a 5 mile radius of the property but do have to recommend a local cab to the airport. Now that you know where we are, we would love to see you stay with us again in the future.
california
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This one is out in the boon docks..away from downtown/shopping centers although it is easily accessible from the freeways (290/294). It is behind O'Hare airport. They used to have free breakfast a long time but I guess all the courtyards have now started the "Bistro" cafes so you now have to pay. The plus side is that you do get Starbucks coffee without having to drive out. We checked in very late on the day of our arrival and were given a one king bed room despite us showing the attendant our reservation that says two double beds. She was not helpful as she kept saying the hotel is full..after what seemed to be a endless argument, she yielded and gave us a room on the second floor with two double beds. With two sleepy kids we drove around the side of the hotel, parked the car, carried the kids up an old elevator, walk up to the room only to face a door that won't open..not with the key that was given. I had to go back to the front desk leaving my family standing in the hallway and ask the attendant for another key. She slid the key I gave into a small gizmo that she had on her desk and gave it back to me saying it should work now (apparently she gave me a wrong key). We entered the room which appears to be a decent size only to see a left over sock (apparently they did not do a good job of cleaning the room). Not a big deal for us as we were too tired to notice anything else and hit the bed. Next day morning I made my way to the bistro cafe which seemed good and had a decent menu for breakfast. OK for a night we thought but will not stay here again if we were to visit Chicago and its downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our property. I would agree that we are a distance into the suburbs but we do have a local commuter train that can get you in and out of downtown Chicago if needed. All of the Courtyard Marriott's are required to change their restaurant to the new Bistro concept and it has been well received. Yes, we do have Starbucks with that change! Your arrival experience was not what should be at a Marriott property and for this I apologize. The leftover sock obviously should have been removed upon cleaning by our housekeeping staff. If you did prefer to be farther out from the city, I do hope you will keep us in mind for the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wood Dale
Westin Chicago Northwest
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
#2 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
SpringHill Suites Chicago O'Hare

Been to Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca? Share your experiences!