“The Good the Bad and the Craft Beer Report” 4 of 5 bubbles

Salt Creek Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Wood Dale
Schaumburg, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The Good the Bad and the Craft Beer Report”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Good - I like Salt Creek Golf Course. It has two nine-hole courses that are just right for early morning golf before work and at a price that is the lowest I've seen in the area. It's not a real challenging course, but it's enjoyable. I prefer the white course over the blue, because there are no power lines to deal with. This year, as of mid-June, the course is in particularly great condition... this is saying a lot, because after a hard winter, it was in pretty rough condition at the beginning of the year. The grounds crew has done a really good job making the course beautiful this year.

After nine holes you can get a sandwich and a beer and relax outside on the patio, enjoy the scenery for a while, then head out for another nine holes if you're in the mood. Salt Creek Golf Course has a really nice... clean facility. I'm actually pretty surprised more people don't have lunch or a craft beer here and enjoy sitting outside on the patio... it's really enjoyable to kick back after a round of golf.

The Bad - I've never experienced this before today, 6/28/14... the grounds crew was completely inconsiderate of the golfers, and not just to the party I was in. The guy running the power rake in the bunkers didn't seem to give a rip that there were golfers waiting for him. He took his sweet time and drove around as if the golfers weren't even there. I was surprised; usually these guys are very polite and attempt to not inconvenience the players. They usually try to stay out of the way, let players hit, then do their work while you're walking and try to get out of the way when you're ready to hit again. Not this guy... oblivious.

The two man crew treating the greens was just as bad, except they weren't mowing, they were spraying chemicals. I know this because one could taste the mist in the air as you got coated with it from the wind. Who does this? I've never experienced this before on any golf course in my 40 years of playing golf. Perhaps this is the norm and I've just been extraordinarily lucky, but I don't think so.

The food and service is normally very good, they've got some really good sandwiches and a wonderful patio outside to enjoy your food and drinks while looking out over the course. I've done this many times... tee off at 6:30am for nine holes, then grab a meal and drinks, then head out for another nine holes. Today however, our party was informed that the kitchen didn't open until 10am. Looking for an early morning Bloody Mary after nine holes?... well you'll just have to wait, because the bar wasn't open either. Rather than wait an hour, we took our business elsewhere.

Someone needs to re-evaluate how "paying customers" are being treated at Salt Creek Golf Course. That said... I still love this course and the facility.

***The Craft Beer Report***

You've got a few choices here for craft beer. Not a great selection, but certainly better than a lot of places that have yet to embrace craft beer. Although it's striking that this "publicly run course" doesn't have any local beer on its menu. After all Church Street Brewing Company is a mere 1.5 miles away and there are many other local breweries to choose from. I can't help but wonder why, but then I've got a "support your local brewery/local jobs" mindset.

Current selection...
- Snapshot by New Belgium Brewing
- Purple Haze by Abita Brewing Company
- Blue Moon by Blue Moon Brewing Co... or more accurately MillerCoors. So craft beer?... you make the call.
- Bully! Porter by Boulevard Brewing Co. - This one is nice, it's surprisingly difficult to find a good stout or porter.
- Mad Hatter Indian Pale Ale by New Holland Brewing Company

It would be nice to have some local brews such as...
- Jack Stout or Phat Chance - Wild Onion Brewing Co.
- Secret Stache Stout or Golden Wing Blonde Ale - Finch’s Beer Company
- Omega Midnight Stout or Municipal India Pale Ale - Ale Syndicate
- Pyrros Red Farmhouse Ale or Butterfly Flashmob Belgian IPA - Solemn Oath Brewery
- Continental Lager or Shony Scottish Ale - Church Street Brewing Co.

Visited June 2014