“Good place for lunch”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Scott
Transit: Metra
Description: O'Neils restaurant is a casual yet elegant neighborhood hot spot where you can always find reliable delicious food and familiar faces. We have a full bar, outdoor dining and wheel chair accessibility. Copious free parking available behind the restaurant. O'Neil's in Winnetka is the ideal place for your special occasions and your daily Lunch and dinner.
Chicago, Illinois
“Good place for lunch”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I came here for lunch with a couple of friends. While what we all had was good, I would hesitate to rate it higher since we really only had a couple of salads and a sandwich. But having said that, my friends both ordered the Cobb salad which was shredded ingredients piled onto the plate with hard boiled eggs on top. One ordered dressing on the side. She had the ranch and it tasted very good, probably made in the restaurant. They both said it was very good and there was enough there that one friend could bring home leftovers. I had the Bacon/Lettuce/Avocado/Tomato sandwich on toast which was very large and delicious.

While we were here for lunch, they also have a very nice dinner menu so I can definitely see myself coming here again.

• Visited October 2013

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Fun happy hour food and wine”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stopped by for appetizers and drinks following a business meeting. Great outdoor seating. Ahi tuna, sautéed shrimp and crab cake appetizers all get a thumbs up. Will be back.

• Visited September 2013
Herzliya, Israel
“Excellent casual dinning”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The restaurant was fully renovated few months ago and it now looks very elegant and inviting. The food is perfect for a casual dinning setting with some really brilliant specials under chef Ramiro. For instance I had a black bass carpaccio with soy souce, thin slices of green apple, thin slices of jalapeno, and wasabi. Very simple on the one hand but then a brilliant combination of ingredients. I then had a rib eye stake and was really impressed with the quality of the meat which was first rate. For desert I had the Praline Basket which is a classic here: praline shell filled with vanila ice cream topped with raspberry sauce. This is a huge serving that can easily be shared. The price range here is very reasonable for this quality of food (main course goes for $20-$30 . If you wish to have a comfortable casual dinner in an elegant setting and very friendly and attentive stuff you can do no better than this place.

• Visited September 2013
Glencoe, Illinois
“O'Neil's updated its space and forgot about the menu...”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Many years after abandoning O'Neil's due to its hum-drum but pricy menu, I returned with great expectations after hearing about its extensive renovation. Kudos on the re-do, but thumbs-down on the disappointing food. Lots of the same old stuff, but with catchier titles. We pounced in around 8 p.m. one evening hoping for something special after all the hype. The bartender mixed up a nice, tall mojito for me and an IPA for my dining pal. Good start. After our server explained a few items, we decided to split a "special," seared ahi tuna appetizer, some gazpacho, and the Thai duck salad. Although beautifully plated, several 1"X1" slices of the ahi tuna were practically cooked through. Oops. The bland tomato-based gazpacho tasted more like congealed V-8 in bowl, and the Thai duck salad appeared with chicken, not duck, and was served on shredded iceberg lettuce. A fair amount of iceberg lettuce, I might add. Not exactly a gourmet treat. Considering the proliferation of amazing greens and lettuces available in the markets these days, and especially from local producers, couldn't the chef pop out of the North Shore bubble and stir up a little greenery trouble with the patrons? Sadly the only entertaining trouble being stirred up was some staffer (owner? maitre d'?) carrying on a loud, 15-minute argument on his cellphone while gesticulating and pacing behind the bar. A bit disconcerting to witness that and realize he didn't give a rat's attitude whether patrons could hear him or not. Hmmm. I guess I'll be going on hiatus from O'Neil's for a few more years, until I hear that they've renovated their menu and their attitude about taking patrons for granted.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank mcdeux
Chicago, Illinois
“North Shore Diner”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Contrary to other recent reviews, we were disappointed on our return to what had been a nice neighborhood fall back restaurant - especially good to walk to in a blizzard or enjoy the outdoor patio in late afternoon summer sun. We disliked the renovation, finding it noisy and squeezed, with diner benches and no privacy. The food is the same - nice salads and seafood - with the addition of a $14 hamburger. Neither in the past nor now did we consider the prices reasonable, but the quality was even. One complaint we have this year is that they issued a Groupon offer and proceeded to close for three months! We bought one hoping to use it for our "blizzard treat," but ended up having a few weeks in spring before it expired. Head's up for your $30 Groupon, they will only credit you $15 (what you paid them 6 months ago) unless you use it certain times.

• Visited April 2013