“Everything was truly incredible!”

Clayoquot Wilderness Resort
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Clayoquot Sound
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We are one day back form our trip and it was absolutely fantastic. From the champagne as you exit the sea plane to the incredible food, fantastic excursions and wonderful people - the entire trip was top notch. Our sons left saying, "Best vacation ever!" We felt the same. The cabins are very comfortable, the environment is breath taking and the guides on each of the adventures are truly exceptional. There are not words to describe this type of vacation. We were looking for an adventure, but also not lacking in luxury - this was perfect. Something for everyone - spa, horseback riding, yummy food, fireplaces abound. The chef, Ryan, was excellent with our boys, who often ate dinner at the 'counter' while we enjoyed dinner with our new friends. Honestly, I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about this incredible trip. Thanks to everyone at Clayoquot who contributed to making this such a special time for our family. A special bonus - we made great friends, who we will hope to reunite with at the beautiful Clayoquot resort!

Room Tip: Rooms with the bathroom en suite are better for families - for sure!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We visited Clayoquot two years and ago and loved it so much that we had to return. This time we spent a week. I recommend a week to allow yourself time to enjoy all the spectacular actives and still have time to relax. On this visit we had three generations of our family, and everyone, from teenager to octogenarian, found activities that he or she enjoyed. Clayoquot is first-rate in every respect. The accommodations are exquisite, and the food is among the best I've had anywhere. The wines -- all of which are local -- are outstanding. The staff is amazingly accommodating and attentive. This place is simply the best.

Room Tip: Book an en suite tent. With this degree of luxury, who wants to have to use an outhouse?
1  Thank Terri M
Kathy M, Director of Marketing at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Oh Terri M we are alway so thrilled to see you and the family!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review that will help others with decision making!

Even better the 3rd time?? Only time will tell.

Hope this review has helped others. Drop me a line if you want to ask anything particular about what the experiences are like here at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. kathy@wildretreat.com

Cheers everyone!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We have traveled to many countries and have stayed at very upscale hotels but Clayoquot wilderness resort experience exceeded everything.This resort is magical and the service is perfection in every way.It was truly a unique and memorable experince.Kids cannot wait to come back next year.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Just wanted to thank you ameena c for being our first review of the 2014 season!

We are truly thankful for reviews like this that help others get an understanding of our resort. That while we are rustic and in the wilderness, we do not miss out on the luxury!

Warmly,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

As many have commented before, it really is difficult to describe a place as unique as Clayoquot. Our visit to the resort certainly ranks as our most memorable holiday and the reasons are many. The beauty of the Sound is breathtaking and the resort has been designed to maximise the impact of the stunning surroundings. All of the resort activities allow visitors to further explore and appreciate the wild and untouched landscape, which the knowledgeable and enthusiastic team go out of their way to share with their visitors. Anyone with any concern about the 'tents' need not worry-this is luxury at its best. As for the food and wine, we are still talking about both, now a year out from our stay! Undoubtedly a trip to Clayoquot is expensive but, if you're even at the point of considering it, go for it. It's a trip you will remember forever.

Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Sinead_3087
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We are an active, travel-loving family of seven. We are still glowing from our most recent and sixth stay at CWR. This place is magical. I don't know how else to say it. The scenery everywhere, even just walking from your tent to the spa, is breathtaking, and no photographs or videos can capture the magic and peaceful beauty of nature like this. The activities are more varied than at any resort our family has ever visited or heard of. This is likely because CWR sits at the junction of several, distinct microclimates that are compressed into a small area centered on the resort. One day, you go from dangling a lure 40 meters below the surface of a rolling sea to hiking up a fog-shrouded mountain to an abandoned gold mine. The next day, you go from white water kayaking to winding your way on horseback through a primeval cedar forest.

I highly recommend giving rock climbing a try at CWR. It is nothing like indoor climbing because you ascend a natural rock face. It is super safe. The guides are experts in safety and technique. We were new to rock climbing when we first came to CWR in 2005, but over the years some of our children have worked their way up to "the dyno", "the flake", and, the ultimate challenge, "the crack".

This year, our family had the special experience of heli-fishing at CWR. After a brief lesson on fly casting, we caught and released over a dozen cutthroat trout (we lost count at one point—a couple trout were 20+ inches long) and one steelhead trout from a wild river system that is as rugged and unspoiled now as it was 1,000 years ago.

For you foodies, be assured that the meals are incredibly good. Most people think of the activities that come from a wilderness experience. But food lovers will recognize that being in the middle of a wilderness and sourcing your cooking ingredients in a daily hunter-gatherer cycle from that wilderness can produce meals of stunning freshness and flavor. At CWR, our children actually panic if they think an activity we are in the middle of might make us late for dinner! When was the last time you experienced that on your family vacation?

Finally, I have to say that the staff is the most earnest, heartwarming, and humorous bunch of people you will ever meet. I can't write much more on the staff because I can't do them justice, and I get kind of broken up inside thinking about them like this. If you are lucky enough to stay at CWR one day, you will know exactly what I mean after you hug the staff good-bye and sit down on that horse-drawn wagon that takes you back to the float plane.

Room Tip: The ensuite tent are the ultimate luxury wilderness experience, but are relatively more closely spac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JSeoCT
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Where to start?? Usually after a great trip, there is a handful of staff that you want to thank. In this case, it was the ENTIRE staff. And I mean the ENTIRE staff. I would put each one of your names here, but just know all 50-ish of you were each so very much appreciated.... First off, the food is truly AMAZING. Each and every meal and snack is just perfect. Sommelier-paired with wines if you like (Thanks, Tereza!) Whether you are a meat-lover, seafood lover, or vegetarian...you will find that each meal is better than the average 5-star restaurant. Not only that, but the staff prides itself on knowing your preferences and ensuring that everything is perfect every time. I'd tell you what my favorite meal was, but it would take 5 pages as they were all amazing. Oh, and the baked goods are made fresh every day, so don't plan to lose any weight here! (PS Caris makes the most "deadly" chocolate-cappuccino cookie in the world.)
Now...for the activities....It rained almost every day we were there. It took us a few days to figure out how to deal with the rain, but once we did it was amazing. The best thing to do in the rain is....head for the water! The paddle boarding, kayaking, river kayaking, fishing was all so much fun. But so was the running with a guide, hiking, Walk on the Wild Side, horseback riding, etc etc. Hardest part of the trip was having to decide. And, then there was the spa. Our package had a few free massages (amazing) but don't stop there! We also sampled the facials and the wraps - even dreamier than the massages if that's possible. Housekeeping - THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LAUNDRY! Being active, you will change clothes a lot more than in real life, and in our case we usually did 3 things a day (like a run, kayak, horseback ride). (Sign up for activities the night before) Don't come with a preconceived notion about your day. Just go with the flow and listen to John's suggestions for your day. He watches the weather and gets to know you fairly well and will help you put together the most amazing days. The housekeeping staff is so so sweet and handled our sloppy laundry bag with elegance and grace. They ensured we had clean clothes as often as we needed as well. And coming back to the candlelit tent after dinner is so amazing. Things to remember to pack for sure....extra wicking t-shirts, extra workout capris or pants, a non-down puffy jacket and rain jacket, hat, and extra socks. Hadn't anticipated changing 3-4 times a day!! Trail runners and water sandals are the only shoes you need. I did need to buy a jacket and Adele showed me the best one (thanks!). However, they do have great rain gear, rain boots, overalls for riding when wet, dry suits, wet suits, riding boots, neoprene water booties....As for dinner attire, some folks dressed up and some folks did not - and nobody really cares what anyone else does. It is the most relaxing and fun place ever. As to previous TA comments on kids and noise...we had a number of kids at the Resort while we where there - and they only added to the fun. Everyone seemed to have a good time whether honeymooning, proposing, spending time with family, being there as a couple, or with a group of friends. We will miss you all...!

Room Tip: Really appreciated the ensuite bathroom. All the tents looked amazing....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank addax12
Kathy M, Director of Marketing at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you addax12!

We are constantly being overwhelmed by great reviews and this is no different! We are truly thankful to each and every guest that writes a review here for us and is able to outline everything that they felt exceeded their expectations.
Each and every staff member here thanks you for being wonderful guests! As you can tell by other reviews, each of us love our jobs and love where we are. John and Adele have done a wonderful job of finding staff that appreciate the outdoors, people and everything that goes into a making this an extraordinary wilderness experience.
I am sure I can speak for Chef Ryan and his team when I say, thank you for your kind words about the food, the atmosphere and the staff. We are incredibly lucky to have the staff in our cookhouse that work as hard as they do and always do it with a smile on!
With that I say, I hope that we are lucky enough to see you again in the future!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Possibly the most difficult thing is to put this experience into words, because from the moment you arrive there, it renders you speechless.

I am born and raised in British Columbia and am all too familiar with the spoils of this great place but nothing prepared me for this side of our stellar province. My boyfriend managed to surprise me, so I had no idea where I was going or what to expect. I am deathly afraid of flying but our pilot gave us the view of a lifetime flying us over and through the mountains, and the hidden lakes within. We had a family flying with us from North Carolina and we are were all chatting away and expressing our excitement, and collectively with the pilot, my boyfriend and this family my fears of flying dissipated. We landed in the middle of nowhere and came to a dock. The first thing that happens when you get off the plane is see the staff and owners waiting to greet you with a hug and a big welcome. They take your bags, tell you not to worry about a thing, and warmly guide you to a horse-drawn carriage where appetizers and drinks await you while you settle in. In that first few minutes of arriving, they set the tone for world-class service while treating you like a member of their cherished family.

As you arrive to the main lodge called the Outpost/Cookhouse, there is the staff holding trays of drinks, smiling and waving at you. They guide you in, and the sommelier begins talking to you (Tereza) and getting to know you. I call her the ‘mind reader’ for her ability to pinpoint what appeals to your palate before even you do!

It is magical, to say the least. I’ve experience all-inclusive resorts before, but never have I experienced an ALL-ENCOMPASSING getaway. The service is unparalleled, where they mirror the joy and excitement you feel in the way they interact with you. The guides are knowledgeable and kind, and so open and friendly that you feel like you’re part of this beautiful secret that is their lives. Especially Eugene who took us to go whale watching and looked genuinely concerned for me when I asked him to suddenly stop the boat, when I realized I had not yet gotten my ‘sea legs’!

The Executive Chef, Ryan Orr, has a gift for food where just eating becomes one of the best parts of this vacation. I would go ‘off menu’ and ask him to create things for me, and if he had time, he would do it! I recommend the elk salami and brie grilled cheese ;) Possibly the most exceptional food I have ever tasted in my life, and I have experience a lot of fine dining. The entire cook staff will talk to you and hang out, while they’re prepping the food if you sit at the bar. They are geniuses, humble and cool, all the while creating masterpieces… it’s sensational to witness, and taste!

I wish we had had enough time to experience all that this resort had to offer!! But we managed the following; Healing Springs Spa, there are tents on the water with a main spa in a little lodge. It is already a stunning place to stumble into but then you get your massage (hot stone and deep tissue for me) and you hear the rain gently tapping on the tent and every masseuse there (I experienced 2 of them!) has the ability to render you more relaxed than you even thought possible. I’m a spa junkie, and never have I had a massage like these. Horseback riding, I haven’t been on a horse since I was 9 and was terrified. Take a look at the Facebook page and you’ll see my face. I was reassured by the owner who took us out, John Caton, that I would come back from my ride as if I have always ridden. Yeah right, I thought. Elle (my horse) and I weren’t too sure about each other to begin with. Every step of the way, John reminded me what I should be doing so that I didn’t have the chance to panic or worry. We went through the old-growth forest trails and through the river! It was exhilarating! I came back ‘at one’ with Elle ;) We went whale-watching, skeet shooting, eagle feeding, and sea kayaking. We got to see a pod of Orca’s on our whale-watching tour and it was like witnessing a miracle. Eugene was on that radio, taking us all over the water to make sure we got to see this.

My boyfriend had planned a proposal here, and many of the staff and the owners knew what was up, and were all a part of the secret plan. No one gave anything away!! I knew once we got there, that this place was my gift for the year, and did not anticipate a ring. Knowing I didn’t want an audience for this kind of special and intimate moment, my boyfriend took me to our tent in the rainforest, on our big patio overlooking the water and fell to bended knee. After a lot of tears and laughter (so much so that the guests in the hot tub down below thought I might be dealing with a bear!) and a resounding YES, we returned to the cookhouse where everyone waited to see if I knew. Once they realized the question had been popped, out came the champagne and cheers, and hugs and congratulations! And the whole group, staff, owners and guests celebrated with us. Just writing about this is bringing happy tears to my eyes… again.

John and Adele know what they’re doing because they love what they’re doing, and that’s making their guests a part of this enchanted world with a graciousness you have yet to experience.

Kathy is a rock star because no matter how many times you change your plans, she’ll find a way (and a guide) to make sure you still get to do what you want. Although sticking to the planned activities would probably be preferred by her, she’ll never let you know it.

You don’t have to worry, rush, settle a bill after a meal… nothing. This is your time and they will make sure you remember that this is about you and your experience here. It’s unreal, it’s a fairytale.

Leaving was the hardest part, and I’m a woman who loves to go away, but loves coming home just as much. I actually cried like a baby upon leaving. You experience the same hospitality leaving as you do arriving. Everyone stands in a line and hugs you or shakes your hand, and John and Adele hold you tight and thank you for being there, and then you board the plane, sad but infinitely thankful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 47 in Victoria
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville

Been to Clayoquot Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!