Clayoquot Wilderness Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsan adventureworth every pennycoho salmonhorseback ridingsea ottersexceeded all expectationsleft us feelingexceptional foodtravel insurancevancouver airportseaplane flightvarious activitiestentcampluxurybearsaccommodations
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Just returned from Long Weekend with family for a post Alaskan cruise adventure. From the moment we stepped out of the seaplane, I knew we were in a special place from the vast beauty and the warm reception of the entire staff! The accomodations, food, endless options of activities made this a memorable trip leaving each one of us (teenagers included) wanting to return soon for a longer visit. Don't be fooled by camping....the dining and "tent" accomodatoins rival any five star resort!!

Room Tip: Get an tent with bath ensuite.....the floor is heated and the outdoor private showe is a novelty!!
1  Thank jmc007
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My first time 'visiting' Clayoquot Wilderness Resort was about nine years ago. I was staying at another of their properties at the time. I loved what I saw at CWR, but because I wasn't a horse person and had already slept in tents as a child, I did not think I would enjoy the experience to the fullest. Fast forward to three years ago --- my travel agent recommended CWR as a first stay on an around the world trip I was taking my 6 year old and his teacher on. She was not aware that I had visited the property already, but when she suggested it, I remembered how wonderful the people were and decided to give the experience a try. We had an amazing time and there was something for everyone to do and enjoy. Then, two years ago, I came with my brother and his wife and this year I just returned from a trip there with my niece. I just can't get enough of the CWR people and experience. From the beautiful and luxurious atmosphere with five star service, superior food preparation and service with special wine parings and an open bar with high end beverages, spa with the most relaxing massages and facials, horses, wildside adventures (including bears, whales, eagles and sea otters), rock climbing, zip-lining, fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, hiking, skeet shooting, archery activities and on and on. Pick and choose all or none and just chill by the fire with a great book or get some work done on your laptop. Yes, they do have WiFi in the wilderness. I have been to over 55+ countries around the world and stayed at many, many hotels/resorts. The only thing I regret about going to Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is leaving there.

2  Thank ladydeepellum
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was one of the best family vacations we have ever taken! Everything about the resort was amazing and the staff was awesome!! The activities were well planned with excellent guides and we had the best time. It was relaxing and a true vacation. We will definitley be going back very soon!!

The Keller Family, Argyle, TX

1  Thank vickeller
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Upon arrival a member of the welcome group dragged my backpack with my fleece on it on the floor, not caring much. Not a good start, then we were sidewashed, as if we werent there at all. Bear in mind this is an upmarket resort. Then had to 'fight' to get onto the horsecart, that made us feel very uncomfortable-a resort staff should have stepped in to sort people out. Upon arrival we were left with no choice of drinks, but one! The setting/scenery is amazing, food superb with minor mistakes (food allergy), open bar with great selection, waitresses were rather ignorant on occasions. Our table was dirty quite a few times, at one point it took us 10mins to get the attention of a waitress!That changed though when a gentleman was our waiter. Activities are well planned, a bit careless on occasions, ie. going out on the ocean fishing in complete fog(couldnt see a meter!) Guides and restaurant staff could do with a bit of training. Native staff were amazingly knowledgable and friendly.
It is a remarkable family run resort, wish they also treated it as a business and found that great balance between.

Room Tip: No room service due to bears, no pool either, no phone in tent. Try to choose a tent nearer to the Cook House, those are noisier but you wont have to walk a mile in the evening in the dark in an environment whee bears are around!Choose a tent with a bathroom!The resort is also a go and get it yourself kind of place, dont expect anyone chase you for anything.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iverano
Kathy M, Social Media and Marketing at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We would like to take this time to acknowledge your review and thank you for pointing out some very important mishaps that happened during your stay here with us. We sincerely apologize for any kind of unpleasant moment that you had with us and would like to extend an invitation for you to join us again here in the wilderness for our 2013 season. Please contact myself, Kathy MacRae Social Media and Marketing, directly at kathy@wildretreat.com so that we can plan a return trip for you and your partner.

We feel that you have pointed out some very useful things that we will take into our training and review with all departments to ensure that this does not happen again.

We are extremely sorry that you felt unsafe in any way on your fishing trip with us. We do find it necessary however, to let you know that all of our fishing guides are professionally trained boat captains with boats that are equipped with GPS and Radar. While we, management, were not on your boat at the time, we can assure you that you were not at risk at any point with our staff and boats. Dense fog is a common occurrence on the west coast and with that in mind; all of our fishing guides have been well trained and prepared for those marine conditions.

We thank you again for your review and look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to Clayoquot Wilderness Resort again.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We have been twice - the second time was even better than the first time - which we did not think was possible - as the first time we went we were on a world trip for a year and it was one of the best 3 places we visited - so we had to go back - expected to enjoy it but not be blown away - but again we had a brilliant time - great for all the family. All the staff team are brilliant, nice, helpful, great with kids but enjoy the various experiences with you as guides. John and Adele - the owners/hosts run a great ship and have loads of charisma thrown in as well. The kids may not let us go anywhere else again! just promise not to miss out if you have read this but i am afraid you won't be able to book when we want to go again! It is true Wilderness and up there with Galapagos and Amazon as experiences for the family.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the ensuite bathroom tent !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family