“Stick with the Pub Food and you'll be SO HAPPY!”
Review of Gilson's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gilson's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Charming Restaurant/bistro, With Outdoor Seating, Wonderful Food, And Good Wine List - Children's Menu Too
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We have been to Gilson's twice and have had a pleasant time on both occasions. I think the first time was better though.

The stand out item are their Brewmaster fries tossed with hand grated parmesan cheese and fresh herb mix . Worth every stinkn" calorie. We had these on our first visit along with some burgers. We also had a Dogfish 90 minute ale for the first time here. We loved the ale and went out and bought some later. Beware though their beer list changes all the time and it wasn't available on our second visit. Everything was so good on this first visit we looked forward to coming back.

The second visit wasn't quite as stellar as the first. I decided to branch out and try some other items that weren't quite as successful. Instead of beer I had a glass of what turned out to be a very mediocre rioja wine. I skipped the fries, a big mistake that I won't make again! I chose the Pappardelle Pasta Carbonara with grilled chicken, fresh peas, pancetta in a cream sauce. It wasn't bad but completely average. The husband had the Skirt Steak Barcelona with romesco sauce which comes with a side of red pepper and onion cous cous and sautéed green beans. This was excellent! I would stick with the grilled meats and pub food here. I think that is where they really excel.

Service is okay but far from refined. Our waitress couldn't place a plate or glass to save her life.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I now know why they had to resort to Groupons to entice customers. This was our first visit here. My husband and I each ordered The Gilson burger ($11.95) and he also ordered a cup of tomato bisque soup ($4.95) His cup of soup was half full & below par. I substituted their potato fingerlings instead of French Fries and they were greasy and inedible. I would have flagged down our waiter - IF - I would have seen him, but he didn't come around until it was time for the check. My burger was fair....I asked for it to be cooked medium rare and it was a very bland, dry, medium. Will not be returning. Had high hopes for finding a new restaurant in the area but it was not to be.

2  Thank SUSAN C
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This a burger that should be eaten rare, and is so large, it could be shared. Moist, juicy, tasty. Atmosphere is sort of rustic, but we found the service helpful and fast.

The Tuna nicoise salad is also a good choice. Perfectly prepared tuna on fresh greens and veggies.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fresh! Fresh! food! This is my favorite spot to meet friends. I order something different every time because everything on the menu is so appealing. Whether I'm in the mood for an "adult" grilled cheese sandwich, a fresh salad or soup, all my meals have been delicious. The service is always friendly and we never feel pressure to leave once we've finished. It's a nice atmosphere to sit in and chat. There's outdoor seating available too. It's on the sidewalk next to parked cars so not the most scenic but if the weather is clear and the bees aren't buzzing, it's a nice change of pace.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been to Gilsons' many times. The food is always good. I like the Gilsons' burger and their Carbonara.
The Menu has a great selection of meals. From time to time they will have offers on their wine which works out to be a good deal. All the staff who work there are very friendly and always very attentive to everyone. We love going there but we tend to go without a reservation which works most of the time but occasionally we have to look for an alternative, The atmosphere is always friendly and relaxing.

1  Thank S0uvlaki