“Worth the price....maybe”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Willowbrook
chicago, il
“Worth the price....maybe”
Reviewed March 15, 2009

My husband and I came here to celebrate our 1st anniversary. The massage we had was great! The jets in the whirlpool did work contrary to belief but each one has to be adjusted to the pressure of your liking, which can include the off position. The rain shower/steam room was friggen great too! The lights above the bed are a bit star trek voyager-ish but that was the only corny thing about it. For the price, as we stayed in the executive suite, the bath ammenities should have included something beyond, bar soap, shampoo and shower gel...where was the conditioner and lotion? Well, I asked and they didn't have any. For the price of the room, they should have gone to a local drug store and replenished their supply for their guests. Another draw back was a faux fireplace....didn't realize it wasn't real as nothing indicates so on their website. Finally don't waste money on a package like champagne, strawberries, and meat/cheese tray as they are just placed in your fridge. I can bring my own, stick it in there and call it a day. It would have been worth it if the champagne, cheese, etc were out on display upon arrival but they are not. No napkins were provided or little plates so we ate off the big hormel cheese/meat platter. Classy right? The champagne however was good at least. (I lied one more thing, there was an in room coffee pot, no coffee, just tea and plain old white styrofoam cups....they could spring for some dollar store mugs.) I think they have a few things to work on if they are going to call it a boutique hotel. Overall, I would go back. Now I just know what to expect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scrawlz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 11, 2009

This experience started off bad and just got worse and worse... First we requested a non-smoking room and as soon as we walked into our room we realized that someone had smoked in it. It smelled so bad that we had to wash all our clothes once we got home because they smelled like smoke, and while we were there my eyes started to hurt. It was clearly just a room that they made non-smoking by putting up a sign that said "Non-Smoking Room". Putting up a sign does not make it a non-smoking room. When we filled up the jacuzzi tub (the entire reason we went the Champagne Lodge over a regular hotel) we found that only 2 of the jets were working. We didn't even bother using it. I had booked their nicest room to celebrate our wedding anniversary and requested their wine and cheese plate. The wine was basically grape juice (I cannot fault them if the wine isn't something I enjoy but this was just plain disgusting, I've had better $8 bottles of wine!) and the cheese tray was the $15 Hormel one you can get at the Jewel - they charged me $45 for it. It was still in the Hormel packaging in the fridge. We didn't get any silverware, plates, napkins or anything to eat the food with and we had to go get our own (cheap plastic) wine glasses from the front desk because there weren't any in our room and no one would bring them to us. We weren't given a bottle opener, and then we had to use our car keys to open the plastic on the Hormel cheese tray, and the plastic on the champagne glasses. Eating a party tray snack on the lid it came on after opening it with your teeth and car keys is not exactly the romance I was going for. It was such a disappointing experience that we didn't even stay the night. When I sent an email telling the staff how disappointed we were all they offered was 50% off their cheapest room to come back - I had paid over $300 and only spent about 3 hours in the room because it smelled so bad and the jacuzzi didn't even work, why would I want to come back??

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Buffy37
ogden, IL
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Great room. We stayed in the Executive and will definitely be back. The tub was HUGE and I mean HUGE, really HUGE. The shower/steamroom was AWESOME. I could barely get my hubby out--I think there were 5 different shower heads and it was more of a room than a shower---huge and beautiful. The room was exquisite--and actually looked even better than it did online. The tiling is wonderful.

We had a great time here....I read alot of reviews before we left and had a few concerns (we've had bad hotel experiences before) so here are some comments on the bad notes I've seen before:

Noise -- We know that there were people in the rooms around us as we saw them going in; but never did we hear anyone. When water was running you could hear it in the pipes---I assume there is a shared water heater in each buidling which causes the sound.

No windows--this creeped me out initially but it works out great. You can sleep in easily this way. One thing I never understood from reading reviews was that these are not all in one building with a corridor---these are like duples/quadraplex units which gives you an outside door which made me feel better about not having a window. I like the design, very nice.

Staff---we found the staff to be very professional and friendly and they were available every time we went to the lobby or whenever we called for pillows or towels.

Tile floor---after about 30 seconds int he room we realized that the tile was a great idea. Yes its not as "warm" feeling as carpet but we spent most of our stay in between the shower and hottub and the carpet would have been completely nasty if people walked back and forth wet over it.

We had a great time and definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tammyvallee
Utah
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I just spent four nights in the Lodge which is very difficult to describe, but I would not call it luxurious or romantic unless you are having a flash back to the 80's. There is a giant tub in the middle of the bedroom and open shower to the bedroom. That's a bit odd unless you're there for a lunch quickie with someone you shouldn't be.

The Lodge rooms also do not have any windows from the inside. Yes, windows appear to be on the outside of the cabins, but there is no natural light or view to the outside from inside the bizarre rooms. Good for rock stars? Vampires? Star crossed lovers hiding from the world? Yikes....

The bed looks like the spaceship enterprise with lights above in a strange ceiling mounted apparatis? The floors are very cold tile and slippery when wet. Good in Mexico, not in snowy climates. Not too cozy, but good for hosing out. It was pretty clean.

The linens are very poor, lumpy comforter and lumpy, bumpy pillows. Extremely cheesy sheets, not cozy at all. The towels are perfect for removing any possible dead skin on your body. Very scratchy - no Downey.

The desk was a nice afterthought, but no light above it? Worked under the spaceship bed. Plenty of strange lighting options and yes, mirrors available there. Did I mentioned how great the 80's were?

The jets in my tub did not really work - one did. I loved the TV? The shower was nice. No restaurant, bar, vending, etc.

Not my cup of tea, but neither is a Star Trek convention.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank lollyjomartinl
Lexington, KY
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I could go on and on about the CL, but will limit my thoughts to the highlights.......
The room, overall, has an amazing yacht-like set up. Every time I looked up, I noticed something wonderfully different....the bedside fireplace, the plasma flat screen, the bedside light switches, etc....
My friend and i were in town for a concert at the United Center...which was about 30 minutes away. But thanks to the outstanding staff, we were provided detailed directions. They were also helpful with recommendations for dinner, the best movie theatres, etc. We were full of questions and they obliged every one!
The steam room / shower was heavenly. We spent quite a bit of time in there * . The bed was comfy, although a few more pillows would have been nice.
i can't wait to get back!!

• Liked — The seclusion, the amenities
  • Disliked — Not enough pillows on the bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank gaylefranklin
Chicago
Reviewed September 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I wanted a weekend get-away. He had seen the "Lodge" advertised and looked nice. We were disapponted when we approached the Lodge. We also arrived 2 hours early and were told we had to pay $30 extra because we were early. She checked and our room was available, I told her we were mis-lead so she checked with her "manager" (who we did not see) and told us we could get into the room for an extra $15. Then we asked about the scheduled massages, everything was messed up....they had all of our times confused and did not know what was involved in each massage. We had asked for additional hand and stone massage. This looked like a separate massage but actually was included in the total massage.......not worth the extra $$$. The massage therapists were great ( they were hired on contract). and they knew more than the lodge people. Room was small, nothing special, I guess the shower was the best with steam and mist. We will never go back.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank ChicagoGeo
ChampLodge, Owner at Champagne Lodge and Luxury Suites, responded to this review, October 31, 2008
We do our best to ensure that each guest has a great experience at The CL, and we need time to prepare for your arrival to ensure this, including planning your spa and event schedule. Check-in time is 5:00pm. We can accomidate early check-in, however, we prefer to to have advanced notice so we may prepare for your arrival. The rate is $15 per hour as stated on our website. Please keep in mind that we have 38 suites and typically are not able to switch guest/suites around due to limited availablity. On another note, our therapists our employees, and I encourage this reviewer to upgrade to the Premium or Executive Suite if suite size is an issue. Thank you.
Elmwood park,il
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Last night was our 1 year wedding anniversary and after dinner we were just searching some hotels online and came upon this one.
We liked the way the rooms looked and the price was right, so we decided to book a room. We booked the room really late and did not arrive at the location until around 11pm. We entered the lobby and the employees were a little surprised that we had reservations because they thought everyone had already checked in.
But she clicked the computer and saw our reservations and checked us in right away. She was very nice and it was a smooth transaction.
We didn't think that it was that hard to find, it just seemed odd that there is a place like this in a residential area, so at first we thought that the directions were wrong. You either have to look up the directions on mapquest or their website. The GPS will not let you put in that address, but you can put it the intersection of BONNIE BRAE LANE and Sunrise ave or even Central ave and it will be easier to find.
We went to our room and it took us a while to figure out where all the light switches were since it was covered by a pillow on the bed, but no big deal.
We found that only one of the jets were working well in the tub, but didn't care that much.
I agree with the other reviews that the "bench" in the shower room/steam room is in an awkward position and we wished that it had two shower heads instead of the one above. It might be great for men, but for someone with long hair and staying only one night, I did not want my hair to be soaked. Also, agree that it should be better sound proof as we heard people turning on their tub and the radio, but it wasn't too loud. It also should have at least one window to the outside world.. ha ha
The bed was pretty comfy, wished it had more pillows though.
Overall, we had a good experience and no problems as the others had.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willowbrook
Near North Side
Downtown / The Loop
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
#19 of 187 in Chicago

Been to Champagne Lodge and Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!