“Wonderful Chicken - lives up to the hype!!”

Dell Rhea’s Chicken Basket
Ranked #1 of 54 Restaurants in Willowbrook
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket is a historic roadhouse on the famous Route 66 specializing in fried chicken and American comfort food. Enjoy a vast array of dining pleasures including the Famous Fried Chicken in a Basket - a half fresh Grade-A chicken cut into four pieces, hand breaded, and deep fried! We have all your favorite sides including mashed potatoes, green beans, onion rings, and Mac & Cheese, just to name a few. Our birds are special! Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket fries in trans-fat and cholesterol free soy bean shortening. The birds are cage free, non-GMO, antibiotic and hormone-free. We only use USDA Grade-A birds that are fresh and never frozen. They're marinated for 24 hours and always cooked for your order. It's this kind of quality that sets Dell Rhea's apart from the rest! Every day you'll find special mouth-watering deals like Saturday's Roast Prime Rib Dinner. Friday's Lobster special, and 50% off a second meal on Tuesday! Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket has been in countless Route 66 documentaries and travel books on Route 66 and has visitors from around the world on a regular basis! Our goal has long been to serve our customers the freshest, most outstanding food. We also promise to provide you with the best service in the world. We would like to thank you for 60 plus years of loyalty, and we would like to ask for another 60 years of that same loyalty.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were passing through Chicago on the way to Indy and wanted to stop and a Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives place. We searched and found the episode with this place in it and it looked great. We went with the chicken dinner and mac and cheese and shared it. Both were out of the ball park good for sure. The mac and cheese is not a great meal though. It should be a smaller portion and have some veg with it or something. We shared so it was no prob. The chicken dinners come with 4 pieces of chicken and a good portion of sides. Way more then one person would eat so plan to share. The chicken was crazy juicy and the coating like nothing we have ever had before. It was very light and delicious and much better then any chain restaurant for sure. They were real mashed potatoes and fresh green beans cooked in something yummy. Mac and cheese was $10 and the chicken dinner about $14 I think. The chicken basket is cheaper and it would be easy to eat for less then 10 bucks there. It was well worth the side trip to get there and I would go back for sure.

There are newer reviews for Dell Rhea’s Chicken Basket

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The best fried chicken I have had. The mac n cheese was creamy and good. Hope to return! Service was great too.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The buffalo wings were delicious and the service was pleasant. Mac & cheese needed some seasoning, chicken needed to be fried harder.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

As always the food and the service were excellent. Worth the wait to get the fresh fried chicken. And add the soup and salad bar to hold you over while you wait :)

Reviewed July 11, 2012

During a trip to joliet, we decided to drive into Willowbrook and try Dell Rhea's. We got there early on a saturday so it was not very crowded yet. We ordered two chicken baskets, two orders of fried mac and cheese balls and a cup of the chicken and dumplings. The mac and cheese balls were delicious! They were smotherd in a big bowl of cheese that was oh so tasty. I do have to say though that out of four of us I was the only one who really enjoyed them. My father in-law had the cup of chicken and dumplings which he said were very good. I did not try so I can't be positive but I'm sure he is correct. Now for the chicken. We waited the full 30 minutes like the menu said and it was worth the wait. It came out pipin hot and has this nice little bread crumb crust that they get from a bakery in Chicago. It was tender and juicy and the next time I get up that way I will be back. Our server was very friendly and a little quirky and the owner even came and sat at our table and talked with us while we waited for our food. I told everyone about that great chicken we had when we got home. You should try for yourself.