“Well maintained, but showing its age”
Review of Willowbrook Inn

and 1 more site!
Willowbrook Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Willowbrook
Austin, Texas
“Well maintained, but showing its age”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently stayed here to attend a funeral in the Chicago area. Check in was efficient, staff was courteous, and the room was clean. Bathrooms were small, and had neither heat lamp nor exhaust fan; television was an old tube-type unit, probably 15 years old. I had a room facing 83 (the main road) so I had traffic noise all night; if you stay here, be sure to ask for a room facing AWAY from the road. Hotel is also following the trend of using relatively dim "energy efficient" lighting in the rooms. Oh, and if you wanted a small refrigerator in your room, that was an extra $10 a night.

Only ate at the restaurant once, for their breakfast buffet. Service was mediocre - one guy serving customers - and buffet was lukewarm.Denny's next door was MUCH better - and Denny's isn't considered a gourmet restaurant.

For $150 a night, one can do better.

Room Tip: DON'T get a room on the front of the hotel, facing 83.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HankBAustin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear HankBAustin,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,395 helpful votes
Reviewed March 24, 2013

When we have stayed here in previous years, there was always a crowd in the lobby bar, at the front desk checking in, 2-4 employees manning the desk, someone on the guest computer, and so on. We didn't experience that at all on this recent visit. A lot of smaller conferences are held here, but maybe that is not the case anymore. The front desk staff have usually always been most welcoming, efficient, and personable. There was one person working the desk when we arrived and one when we checked out. They were efficient, but not a glimmer of "personable" or "welcoming." We called down to the front desk 3 times during our stay, asking some questions or making a request, and twice they were short with us. We called twice and there was no answer after letting it ring and ring...

Our room was a king and it has been "refreshed" as the website states. It is a nice sized room, with newer bedding, a comfortable chair and ottoman, a good sized desk. No phone on desk however, and this was a "business king" room. The phones are old, along with the TV's, which has limited channels. The lighting is average, though there are 4 lamps in the room, as well as an entry light. If they removed the old , yellow lampshades, and put new white shades on, the lighting would be great! Bathroom was nicely tiled and in very good shape. You can easily hear every sound from the hall or outdoors; I highly suggest you bring a fan, or use the fan mode in the room, on high, to frown out any noise that may bother you.

The lobby lounge is nice and they now have a 3rd floor bar for "special" guests. My DH was up there and stated it was "underused."

I have written a separate review on the hotel's restraurant.

Overall, if they put some effort into this hotel like they once did, and remodel it, I can see a new start for everyone. If they keep up (no pun intended) with their current modes of busines, they will continue to go downhill, which is something I would hate to see happen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tymetraveler222
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear tymetraveler222,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments regarding your experience with us. I am sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret we fell short of rendering great service during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Is this hotel dated? For sure. But I don't need much fanfare and certainly am not willing to pay a premium to get it. Yes, the televisions are old, but the room was clean and certain met our needs. All in all, the hotel was pleasant. We came in for a funeral. The manager was nice enough to give us the bereavement rate. The staff was very accommodating of our loud large family, setting us up with tables and chairs just outside the lobby as to keep us from visiting in the rooms. (Smart move.) My only real complaint about the hotel was the computer for public use. It was not it working order for us to print our boarding tickets, however, the staff was able to accommodate and print the tickets for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LoquaciousColorado
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed December 27, 2012

For business, this hotel cost $150/night, and that was with a corporate discount. The only redeeming quality is the restaurant. The rooms are no better than any Holiday Inn Express room. The TVs are CRT and at least a decade old. The bathrooms are okay, but the showers were not anything special. I would rate this higher if this was $70/night, but $150/night is a rip off. At least the staff were very friendly and helpful to people new to the Chicago area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul D

Travelers are raving about these Willowbrook hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Old outdated Holiday Inn. Was "upgraded" to the "executive" level, but got stuck with a window with bent frame that I had to work for 10 minutes to actually get closed. Old furniture straight out of the mid 90's. Tube TV's, stained peeling wallpaper and our meeting room was freezing cold even after we asked to have the temp adjusted 5x. We wore coats the whole time in our meeting. POOR outdated rooms, carpet, etc. Desperately needs a refresh.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Matt C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear trumpetr,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I apologize that on this day we fell below your expectations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Pam G.
Rigby, Id
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

No pool. No hot tub. Exercise equip old mad nerds repair
Road noise woke me up. Could hear the neighbors t.v. all night. This am thought I could hear birds chirping but it was the squeak squeak squeak ogre the treadmill next door
Hot water all the way up made for a warm street
Barely.
Sound system I'm ballroom static

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank DoloresfromIdaho
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear DoloresfromIdaho,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Springfield, IL
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The property is large, but the hotel is very clean. It is in need of an update (worn carpeting, dated fixtures, etc.). The staff is excellent in all areas from the front desk to the bar to the wait staff in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet is simple, but adequate. I've stayed in this property 3 times so far and I have had a quiet night each time. My only issue, which seems to be a problem with all Holiday Inns, is the ice machines not working. I had to call room service to have ice brought up. I don't like to have to tip someone to do something I can do myself. Also the halls are very long and if you're at one end near the elevators, the ice machine is a hike from your room as there is only one per floor. I traveled on business, so I can't attest to the value as I did not pay for the stays.

Room Tip: As in all hotels, get a room that's not on the street side (this one is right off of I-55, but t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willowbrook
Champagne Lodge and Luxury Suites
La Quinta Inn Chicago Willowbrook
Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
#5 of 7 in Downers Grove
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge
SpringHill Suites Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge/Hinsdale

Been to Willowbrook Inn? Share your experiences!