“Ok stay”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Toronto, Canada
“Ok stay”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My spouse was on business in Illinois and we stayed in Westin North Shore in Wheeling, where the conference took place. This hotel is about 35 miles from downtown and 15 miles from O'Hare airport. Taxi or rental car would be the only way to get there from the airport. They have Metra train stop in Wheeling 2 miles from the hotel, but there is no service on weekends.My suggestion is to rent a vehicle, it will be definetely cheaper than the taxi.
When we called Westin reservations line, they offered us a free shutttle from the airport,however we chose to book through Expedia (their web- site showed shuttles available for a surcharge). When I called the hotel directly to book a shuttle, to our surprise they told thatt they don't send shuttles to the airport at all. There is nothing special to see close to the hotel, there is a Mall about 5 miles away and Botanical Gardens 10 miles away. There is a number of restaurants on Milwaukee St to choose from and there is one in the hotel.
They have a beatiful trail next to the hotel, so if you like to run, horse ride or bike you can't find a better place. I went for a walk in the morning and saw 4 deer crossing the trail.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, it was clean but the view was disappointing.Ask for top floors when you are there. They have a pool, gym and a spa- very clean and lots of towels, but no shower in the pool area.We had breakfasts in the hotel restaurant, I found them a bit too expensive.The stuff was friendly, but not well organized. We chose to cancel housekeeping and get food vouchers instead,I spoke to front desk and they assured that I would get my vouchers in the morning.The maid still came both days and, of course, no food vouchers. Overall, it was an OK stay.

Room Tip: Ask for 10+ floor for best view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank torontasha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've always felt like the Westin chain is on the high-end of standard business hotel chains across the country. This Westin is just a bit on the lower scale compared to other Westins I've stayed at. There are two main reasons for this feeling. One is a lack of bar scene (but you're way out in the burbs). The lobby is tiny and just not welcoming. Second is the boxiness of the room. We were upgraded to a junior suite. It didn't feel like a suite at all. The room was a complete square and just had a couch and chair thrown into the room next to the bed. That's not really a suite. It did provide more room for getting around but just didn't feel welcoming. There really is no view from any angle since you're way up north and just a little too far inland to see any water. The rooms were very clean and had the modern/transitional decor you expect from any Westin. Additional things to consider:
- no mini bar. There is a fridge that's empty.
- single sink in the bathroom.
- traditional "Starwood" double shower head is always a nice touch

Really, you can stay here if you are in and out for just one night or for business, but don't expect anything luxurious and no pleasant surprises. Just your basic business hotel with nice bedding and well cleaned.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed at this hotel during my business trip to Chicago; Was recommended by a fellow colleague; The rooms were very spacious and the restaurants in and around the place were extremely good. It had a separate club room for SPG members which was well stocked and organized.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I'll keep this short. I was at this hotel for a conference. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We checked in late(2am)but the woman working the front desk when we checked in was incredibly pleasant and accomodating (as were all the employees we interacted with). We needed a fold away bed for one of our teens and we were expecting one of the beds with springs poking you in the back all night. Not so. It was the same bed as the ones in the room only a twin.
And the beds, ahh, the beds. Best hotel bed I have ever slept in. I have never slept in a hotel bed and wanted to take the bed and the ohh so soft comforter home with me. Large showers with double heads. And they must have one super water softener because I didnt even use conditioner and my hair was as soft as could be :)
I can honestly say I was not expecting anything near this nice when we booked the hotel. I cannot recommend the Westin enough.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank landyr1
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The staff at this hotel, including front desk and restaurant, were very rude and unhelpful. The room rate charged on my bill was $40 more per night than it was supposed to be. When I went to the front desk to correct my bill, the front desk person was very rude, would not even look at me, and made the whole process more difficult than it needed to be. I wasn't even mad or trying to cause a problem, but she made a simple change into a very uncomfortable situation. I was also promised a $5 credit for selecting the "green" option of not having my room cleaned each day. When I went back to her to ask for the credit, she told me I couldn't use it even though the card clearly stated that I could. She claimed she had to ask the manager, then went to the office in the back for over 10 minutes, came back and did not even say a word to me. She finally gave me the credit but, again, made it a very uncomfortable and difficult situation. The restaurant staff was also rude and didn't seem to want to take my order... at dinner time. I cannot understand why they were all so rude. It ruined our entire stay. I would never stay there again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank krhan
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The staff is polite and friendly. Hotel is about a hour drive from Chicago center.

A complimentary shuttle service is available for transportation in the area. We used this each day to the train station where we caught the train down to Union Station. On the return, they would come and pick you up if you called ahead. They also gave our group a ride to a local restaurant and came and got us when we were finished. This shuttle service really makes this hotel.

There are great restaurants in the area. Some are within walking distance while others are a short drive away. We never tried the restaurants in the hotel.

In room coffee maker and coffee in the lobby each morning. Bring your own bottled water. The bottles in the room are $4.50 each. The in-room coolatron (cooler) is purely ornamental and will not keep anything cool. Ice is available.

The bed was comfy and room kept very clean. Plenty of water pressure on the 4th floor. The elevator is quick but hated the buzzing sound for each floor.

Parking is free but way over to the side of the building. Valet parking is available for $15 per day.

We used the pool and hot tub. Both were clean and uncrowded. The change rooms are just washrooms with no change stalls.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!