“Authentic authentic”

Good for: Families with children
Wheaton, Illinois
“Authentic authentic”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The best Mexican food in Wheaton, bar none. Best if you appreciate a more authentic taste of your Mexican food. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Rozbo

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“El Zarape Good Value”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

El Zarape has very good food for the price. The food is basic mexican fare done well. It's s no fuss kinda place.

1 Thank Jwl1055
Winfield
“Muy Bueno!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This family owned restaurant not only serves authentic Mexican food, the price is extremely reasonable as well. Whether you are waiting to have some excellent enchaladas, tacos, or frijoles, you can't make a bad selection. Waitresses will help you with your Spanish if you are so inclined to use it.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank DuffleBag2go
“Reasonable Cost”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I like the vegetarian options, and the smoky-flavored sauce. Their margarita is my favorite in the area.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank M P
Wheaton, Illinois, United States
“The worst experience of my dining life!!!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have eaten at El Zarape and enjoyed the Tacos Longy on many lunch occasions, but today was extremely different. I will not be eating there again. (partially because the "owner" said "don't come back." To make a very long story shorter, my wife and I's bill was almost 10 dollars higher than the menu said. I had asked for the lunch special to be changed to a combo. I asked the waiter what the upcharge was and he told me it was 3 dollars. That changed the total from 6.95 to 9.95. Not a big deal considering the extra rice and beans. I also had ordered a tea, which was a little strong for me. After being frustrated by no waiter returning after more than 20 minutes, I decided to drink the tea anyway since no drink with tacos isn't the best combination. When he finally returned, I politely asked if I could switch my tea drink for a coke the next time since it was a little strong for me. The waiter politely said "sure." He brought me the coke and we finished our meal. At the end of the meal, I left a 20 percent tip, despite the poor wait staff service (because we always tip 20 percent minimum). I then received the bill which had charged us extra money for the combo, extra money for the drink and had changed my wife's order to a combo, despite us requesting for it not to be a combo twice. I said to the owner that the charge was much higher than expected. He told me that since I had two drinks that I would have to pay for two drinks, and that "ALL businesses charge extra if you change drinks, especially when that first drink was almost empty." I responded saying that I had asked the waiter if I could switch, and he had said fine. I said that if it was going to be an extra charge to switch that they should inform the customer. He then said, "well then why was your drink almost empty if you didn't like it." I said that I had been waiting for someone to come back to the table for 20 minutes so that I could switch the drink but no one came so I drank it anyway so that I could enjoy the food. I didn't even get the chance to talk to him about the additional upcharges and discrepancies before he said, "can you just be quiet and listen to me!!!???" I said I am trying to explain to you what happened so that you can understand the situation. He then raised his voice at me, and said "stop talking." I then said "excuse me. I have never been treated like this at a restaurant before." He interrupted me, and said, "you need to leave right now and don't come back." Not sure where the hostility came from. Overall, food is pretty good, price is a little high for lunch, make sure to ask about all of the charges ahead of time (not that it helped me any) but since I'm not allowed back anyway, good luck to any of you that try it out.

• Visited August 2012