“Not the Egg Harbor Cafe of other reviews”
Review of Egg Harbor Cafe

Egg Harbor Cafe
Ranked #4 of 143 Restaurants in Wheaton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: With 18 restaurants in Illinois, Wisconsin and Georgia, Egg Harbor Café serves the best breakfast and lunch around! Enjoy gourmet egg specialties, scramblers, skillets, frittatas, pancakes, roll-ups, sandwiches, soups, salads and more in a charming, inviting atmosphere at Egg Harbor Café. At Egg Harbor Café, you will find great service and eggs-traordinary breakfast and lunch creations – along with a children's menu, daily specials and seasonal menu selections, a gluten free menu, and delicious catering fare. You can always find healthy choices at Egg Harbor Café. Each location is available to host your showers, meetings and special fundraising events. Ask EHC Wheaton managers Doug Hager or Radeance Fenske for details.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Because of all the other positive reviews of the Wheaton location of Egg Harbor Cafe (#2 restaurant in all of Wheaton!), we (4 people) decided to go for our annual Christmas Eve brunch. To say the least, we were not thrilled.

We arrived a few minutes before our reservation time and they were quite busy, but we got our table immediately despite the waiting line which was a nice start. Now, I realize it was a busy holiday and expected it to be pretty crowded, and it was, but it had to be about the noisiest place I've ever eaten. I chalk it up to the interior which has a high metal ceiling which probably amplifies every sound, rather than a softer, acoustic-type ceiling material which would absorb sound better. Seriously, it was like a VERY noisy sports bar during a game broadcast, except that the one we go to sometimes, even when it's crowded, isn't nearly that loud.

Two of us who came in first were seated immediately. The waiter said he'd be right with us. The other two in our party who were parking the car arrived a few minutes later. Usually at a breakfast place, the wait staff promptly stop by to get coffee/drink orders, but we then waited for quite a while until our waiter made a 2nd appearance in the dining room to take our orders.

Then, "the Decaf Incident" happened. My spouse ordered decaf and when the waiter came back with the coffees and started to pour hers, she asked him, just to be sure, if it was decaf. (She's ordered decaf before only to get the real thing, so she checks.) He very sarcastically said he "thought she was joking" and went out of his way to comment about it a few more times, like we besmirched his family name or something. We must have breached sacred breakfast-place protocol because he made quite a big deal of it, like he was really insulted, and he wasn't joking. We thought that rather odd.

Otherwise, he did a fine job with the orders, everything was correct and he was ever-present, but that put us off a bit, unfortunately.

This is of course entirely personal preference, but I enjoy nothing more at a breakfast place than a great, homemade corned beef hash. I make my own (spectacular!) with our annual St. Patrick's Day dinner leftovers at home, and so it's a treat for me on the occasions when we do go out for breakfast, which isn't often. They don't have corned beef hash at any of the local Egg Harbor locations which means we'd likely not repeat there, UNLESS we were really bowled over by other items, which we weren't, sadly.

So in lieu of my usual, I got the Matt's Meaty Skillet, described in the menu as "loaded with bacon, ham and sausage." It was nowhere close. There was VERY little meat in my Meaty. There was easily 3 times as much potato as the combined meats. The "Harbor potatoes" are fine and all, and they were plentiful, but I didn't order (or expect) a skillet "loaded with potatoes" and then sprinkled lightly with meat. And I had to look carefully to see the jack and cheddar cheese topping as there wasn't much of that, either. Everyone else's egg-based dishes - an omelette, a Rösti, and a different skillet - were all very ordinary according to the others in our party. Worse, our food was just warm, English muffins included, like perhaps it had sat for a bit before being picked up. Nothing makes a so-so dish more unappealing than when it's simply not hot. That's something very basic any restaurant should get right, IMO. Their coffee was good, so there's that.

Oh, and as all the breakfast dishes are served with their English muffins, I expected them to be very special, like it's "their thing." But they're just average store-bought English muffins.

So, as a clever reader would have already guessed, we weren't that happy with our trip to the Cafe. Our day wasn't ruined or anything because of it, but it wasn't the nice experience out together that we look forward to for our Christmas brunch. Afterwards, I recalled that I'd been to their Geneva location several years ago but we had never returned because I don't think it wasn't all that great, either. We'd probably not return to any of their locations but we'll try somewhere new next time we dine out for breakfast.

1  Thank Tom S

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and daughter are GF. They love this place. I sampled their GF cinnamon roll and pancakes. I defy anyone to tell the difference between them and wheat filled versions. My egg skillet hot and delicious too. Server Emma was awesome. My first visit, won't be my last! Wish mgmt would expand to Florida.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is typically a busy place, so always best to arrive early, but we have consistently found that both the food and service to be very good. Our family sampled several different made to order, as well as stock menu items and all of them were excellent.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great breakfast places are sometimes hard to find when you travel. But, if you are in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, that is not the case. Egg Harbor has serveral locations but I have only been to the one in Wheaton, but I am sure the others are just as good.

Located in the Downtown district of Wheaton, the only problem is the parking but there are many public lots and side streets that offer something within 10 to 15 minutes walking distance. You will want to plan of a wait since this establishment is well known to the locals as well as travelers.

Once inside, you are attended to promptly and your order is delivered quickly, correctly, and hot! The egg features, of course, are their specialty and the skillet dishes are delightful and very filling! The entire staff sees to it that your coffee cup is never empty and your table is attended to for whatever your need.

After breakfast, you may want to 'walk it off' by touring the downtown area and, on Saturdays in the fall, stop by the farm market for more goodies and other trinckets.

Wheaton is a charming suburb and delightful to spend time there. Stopping by Egg Harbor Cafe is a must!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This Cafe looked very inviting and had some nice decor and added features such as pitchers with ice water w/lemon on the tables. The server we had was fine but the food was not very good and we had to ask for several items such as flavored coffee creamer and extra jam. I would have been embarassed to serve the omelet we ordered with awful, brown avocado on top! There are much better choices when looking for a place to eat in Wheaton, IL.