“Excellent Remodel!”

Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Dundee
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent the last 3 nights in this hotel, and was very impressed with their remodeled rooms. As a frequent business traveler, I tend to avoid most Courtyards ... while I love their new lobby and Bistro restaurant, the rooms were always very dated. This hotel has apparently been completely remodeled, and the new rooms were great. Plenty of light, plenty of electrical outlets, and wonderful bedding ... probably the best hotel pillows I've ever run across! (In fact, I might even have to buy some from their website!) Only slight negative was that I never could get the temperature right ... felt like I spent 4 days turning it up a degree, down a degree, and then back up again! Puzzled by the comments made by another reviewer on 10/23 ... when I checked in on the 27th, was told that all rooms have now been remodeled, and saw no sign of construction (and I was in a first floor room). I'd definitely return here on a future trip!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa A
Mabel C, Manager at Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hello Mrs. Lisa A

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, in regards your stay at the Courtyard in West Dundee. I am so pleased to see that you are very impressed with our newly renovated hotel, we as a hotel are very proud to have our guests happy to enjoy and see the new changes. We hope the next time you travel through West Dundee we will see you again, in the meantime we hope you have a great and safe holiday season!

Mabel C. Dieterle
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I struggled to not give this hotel a lower rating. The hotel lobby is beautifully updated. The cafe is beautiful. The room was just a bad experience. They have the same low quality sheets (compared to Hampton Inns) and pillows that I have experienced at other Marriott Courtyards so that wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was having a wall heating/air unit without a thermostat. As someone who stays in 5-10 hotels a month, I was shocked to see a wall HVAC unit without a thermostat in this level of hotel. Instead, you have low heat and high heat buttons and a temperature knob that you are expected to be able to manage temperatures yourself with. So, while the low outside was 28 degrees, we tried to set the system on low heat the first night and woke up at 3 AM suffocating from the hot dry air that had been pumped into our room for hours. The second night, we turned off the heat before we went to bed because we could already feel it getting stuffy. Then we woke up at 3 AM freezing cold and both feeling congested and sick.

Beware of these crappy old HVAC systems. I avoid hotels that have these and would/will avoid this hotel until they update those systems.

There were other disappointing parts such as the bathroom....which is in desperate need of remodeling and just seemed dirty because of age.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Hello Mr. Erik B.

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and dissatisfaction with the HVAC unit in room while staying on our hotel. I can certainly understand your disappointment. We started the project of replacing some of the old units this year, unfortunately we have not completed all the rooms.

I also want to apologize for your bad experience due to having one the rooms with the outdated units. I hope that you give us the opportunity in the near future to make it better!

Mabel C. Dieterle
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Took 4 calls to Marriott's central reservations to get 2 rooms for 1 night correct but that's not the hotel's fault. The front desk staff was very friendly.

Room warm & humid on arrival. Hit cool on the A/C, nothing happened. Found a light switch on the wall hiding beside the A/C. Turn it on and got cooling. Luckily the machine cooled the room down fast and was quiet. No rattles and groans like most hotel units.

Great room remodel, comfy bed, nice & clean. TV had lots of channels but picture quality on most was analog and not the greatest.

The lobby is nice but used to free breakfast not paying $10 for the same thing. Didn't check out the pool or fitness room but looked nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay R, Proprty Coordinator at Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hello BaldLoonie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our central reservation agents. It is very important to us that your experience with us is wonderful from start to finish. I am glad to hear that once you arrived at the hotel you had a very pleasant experience with our staff. We are so proud of our newly renovated hotel, so it is also great to hear that you enjoyed so much of the work that was put into the hotel. I understand that you really enjoyed our old buffet breakfast, but I encourage you to try the new food that we offer the next time you stay at a Courtyard, because it is really delicious! We hope the next time you travel through West Dundee we will see you again.

Lindsay R

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott West Dundee on Sat. night July 27, 2013. The young woman who check us in was very helpful. I needed only one bed instead of two, and she changed my request with no problem, saving me a little more money. My Son and his wife were able to be right next door to me and we were down at the end of a hall which gave us two quiet and comfortable rooms. We were in the area only one night to attend a family function. I will keep this hotel in my notes to return again. Nice little Starbucks coffee shop in the morning with fresh pastries was a welcome touch. Very happy with my Marriott experience.

Room Tip: Third floor was great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay R, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Hello ToniBeth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you had a great experience with our staff and that we were able to accomodate your room requests. I hope that you and your family had a great time while in the West Dundee/Eglin area! We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was thoroughly pleased with the entire experience. The hotel was recently renovated and it is stylish, open and modern. Beautifully appointed. The lobby area is terrific---flat screen TV, plenty of informal seating, WI-FI access, cool music being piped in, a fireplace. The Bistro is great for informal breakfast or a late-night snack. The workout room was well-maintained. My room was immaculate when I arrived---it even smelled clean, which doesn't happen often with hotels. Again, the impact of the recent renovation clearly seen. My bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very clean, and always kept clean during my stay. I got good sleep at night. The staff was was friendly and enthusiastic---they genuinely seemed to enjoy their jobs. I would definitely stay in this hotel again, if I am ever in that area of far northwestern suburban Chicago. Easy access to the tollroad (I-90). It is also a great value----less than $100 per night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hello Applegirl57,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed all we had to offer from our clean rooms, delicious food at The Bistro, and all of our other services provided. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our bathroom was not clean at all upon check in. There was urine on the toilet seat and hair on the bathroom floor. The rest of the room was clean. It appeared that the housekeeping staff just missed the bathroom entirely. Yuck!
I never saw a single smile or friendly greeting from any staff member during my stay. I stood at the bistro waiting for an associate to help me for about 4 or 5 minutes. The associates were in the kitchen, which of course was fine, but there was a front desk clerk standing at the front desk making no attempt to see that someone was helping me. The front desk clerk was not talking on the phone or assisting anyone at the desk. The lobby was empty. Just standing there watching me wait in front of the bistro register for 4 to 5 minutes. Absolutely no since of urgency. The kitchen staff did come out to assist me but I noticed that it wasn't just me. Another guest came and stood at the bistro for at least 3 minutes before even being acknowledged. One kitchen associate was making a latte for me and the other was just standing at the register while the man waited. Perhaps they couldn't take his order yet for some reason or another but you would think they would at least smile and say "Good morning, we'll be with you in just a moment. Thanks for waiting." or something like that. Nope. Didn't even say hello to him. A staff member who appeared to be a manager or supervisor of sorts came over, made herself a coffee, and also did not offer any smiles or a "Good morning" so perhaps this is a learned behavior with the hourly staff. I actually felt bad for the staff. In addition to the lack of urgency they seem so glum. Nobody seemed to like there job. It was as if everyone hated being there and only showed up for a paycheck. I have stayed at many Courtyards and this by far was the most disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Erin W

Hello Erin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I do apologize for your bathroom not being properly cleaned. It is our goal to provide you with a wonderful experience, including a very clean room. I am also sorry that our service was not at the service level that we also strive to achieve. I hope that you give us another opportunity to show you what a great stay you can have with us. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm very pleased I chose to stay here for my long weekend in the Elgin area. Check in was smooth (room was ready early) and front desk staff was very friendly. The touch-screen monitor in the lobby has a lot of helpful information, including info on the surrounding area (restaurants, shopping, directions, etc). My room was very clean and pretty spacious, and the wifi worked great (I was on the 3rd floor). Hotel and surrounding area was quiet, especially being relatively close to 90. I did not try the bistro, but the food smelled good and I did see other guests eating there so I'm assuming it was good. The pool and hot tub were clean and centrally located. I was impressed to see both the pool and hot tub had a lift available to make them handicap accessible (something I haven't seen before). They were doing a bit of work on the exterior of the building (painting, I think?) so the parking lot was a bit cluttered, but nothing that would inconvenience guests. It's about a 5-10 min drive to get to the bigger shopping area, but it is easy to find and totally worth it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay R, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hello Keldozer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided. We were painting the outside of the building and we greatly apprecaite your understanding! We hope to serve you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Dundee
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Comfort Suites Elgin
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin

Been to Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee? Share your experiences!