“Vistiting West Dundee Itilia Style!”

Francesca's Campagna
Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in West Dundee
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: RT 31 and RT 72
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Food is good, but it is a very small place. If you like your space and privacy this is not the place to go.

if you are visiting West Dundee and don't want to drive any where this would be the place to go for Italian......trust me I'm Italian and this is close to home!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Hands down our favorite place to eat, even with the kids ( 4&7)
The olive oil is seasoned to perfection and goes wonderfully with their starter bread. Nothing beats their marinara sauce which even if you think you hate anchovies, you will LOVE this sauce. Made with anchovies and lots of garlic. yummmm!
Pasta is always fresh and aldente. Their Calamari is always cooked properly with a light crispy batter. Fish is always moist and flakey. Seriously, not a bad thing on the menu. Pizza is more a flatbread-ish appetizer but non the less marvelous. The service is always wonderful.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We dined here last night and had a terrific evening. The restaurant is a wee bit crowded with small size tables; but, that is very typical of a European/Italian restaurant so it is fine. The restaurant is not noisy so while tables are close, intimate conversations are easy.

The service is attentive and our waitress was knowledgeable regarding the menu. They have a decent wine list of Italian and international wines. Their garlic and herb oil and bread are just super delicious.

The salad with the thinly sliced pears is wonderful. Between the 4 of us we had 3 different entrees which were all excellent. Their desserts are the perfect conclusion to a very nice evening.

I would suggest making a reservation as by 6pm on a Saturday evening the restaurant will be very full.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is the Capital Grille of Italian Restaurants - overpriced, mediocre service, and not worth going to unless you are on someone else's expense account. Comparing it with the Italian Restaurants I go to, there is no comparison. Tuscany's in OakBrook is much better as well as Mandile's in Algonquin.

At least at Mandile's, you get a salad and side potatoes with your main entree. Mandile's veal dishes are excellent and less expensive.

At Francesca's, you get nothing, save for some bread. So why is it $29.99 for a veal dish? Wife had the veal and had to send it back because it was too rare. It came back good - but who makes veal that rare to begin with? I had the Halibut and it was good - but not for $26.99. Again, how much would it be to put on some Vesuvio potatoes and a side salad? Overpriced!

We came in about 5:55PM and were seated at a bad table up facing the wall, so we changed tables (there was no reservations sign on the table we sat at). Then one of the servers said this table was reserved for 7PM. I said we would be done by then, and we placed our order.

Special priced Martini was $5 but was filled about 1/2 inch below the tip of the glass. I guess they did not mix enough liquor because other Martini drinks were coming off the bar filled to the top. So call Bar Rescue for them to learn how to make a full drink. My wife's Chardonnay was good and was $8.

We ate our main entree and left. No coffee or dessert because we did not want to go over our $100 Gift certificate, but more importantly, we wanted to make sure they got their precious little table back before 7PM. We left it was about 6:33PM so they lost money on their overpriced coffee and dessert because we did not have any.

As for coming back? They won't have to worry about the table as it will be empty as far as we are concerned. Bill was $81 and we left the whole $100 gift certificate. I would not go back.

Atmosphere reminded me of eating on a train car. Very narrow space with tables stacked up on oneanother with all the noise coming constantly off the bar. Ambiance for the money? ZERO.
Put in some acoustical tiles to muffle the noise.

Was here five years ago with my lawyer and we thought it was overpriced back then. I swore I would never come back, but decided to go because I received this Gift Certificate. My verdict - stay away, there are other places that offer just as great, if not better food, with more ambiance, service, and actual food on the plate.

Good Italian Restaurant? Maybe, if you're Irish.

1  Thank PROF_CONSULTANT
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Very poorly run restaurant. There on my anniversary in September and walked in to an empty restaurant on a Sunday. We sat at the bar and asked the bartender if we could sit at a specific table after our drink. The restaurant started to fill up and we decided to sit down. The bartender came from behind the bar to seat us when the manager seating patrons in a very loud voice yelled at us for sitting at this table. She said that very good costumer's just called and she promised them this table.
Most of the people seated around us were staring at her as she made a fool out of us. The bartender said he was sorry and then charged us for our drinks.
We called up Bistro Wasabi told them of the situation and they had seats waiting for us with a Champaign drink on the house when we arrived.
I will never go back to this restaurant ever again! I have eaten at their locations in Chicago on Taylor street and in Geneva and their management is first class as well as their food.
Stay away from the Dundee location!

1  Thank hipster41