“Mid-century cool decor with great food”
Review of Louie's Restaurant

Louie's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 149 Restaurants in Waukegan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My family has visited Louie's for years. They catered my sisters wedding 42 years ago. It has changed hands since then BUT after a couple of recent visits back, not much has changed. It is excellent. Decor is dark and cool. Waitresses are efficient and know the menu and what to recommend. My husband had the Fresh Walleye Pike both times we have visited. He said he has never had better. I have had the Spaghetti and Meatballs (the sauce is superior) and the Round of Beef Sandwich. The beef was homemade and fork tender. Order your sides and if you get a salad you might want to try their creamy garlic dressing. Delish! Prices are ridiculously reasonable. It's in a nice section of Waukegan, they have a parking lot and a full bar and package goods store as well. i love this place.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

A neighborhood restaurant that maintain the old charm. When you seat the first think you get is a bazket of warm bread you have to be careful because you can eat as much as you want is so delicious that is hard to stop. My favorites are the greak salad and the ribs although my friend had the meatloaf and she said is better than the one she has have in a long time. They have a very good bar and the price is very reasonable .

1  Thank dorachicago
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I don't go very often anymore. I frequented this place in my twenties. The items mentioned in the title were my favorites.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

When I grew up in Waukegan in the 1960s (back when dinosaurs walked the Earth) my dad was a regular at Louie's. Louie even gave me my first job washing dishes when I was a teenager (I lasted about 2 days). Since then, the world keeps changing, and not always for the better.
I moved to Europe in the early 1980s. My parents moved out of Waukegan by 1990. But a few months ago I had a chance to go back with my mom and some friends and we dared check out how Louie's was doing.
I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked the same!
But more to the point, I couldn't believe my taste buds!
We had a meal that back then was just tasty. In today's world it was tasty and completely honest Italian-American food. No frozen microwaved industrial food product here.
The basket of dried bread was classic. The thin crust sausage pizza was greasy and fantastic. But the bombers, my friends, oh, the bombers...they are still the sublime, messy, bursting with flavor treats that haunt my dreams. The caraway-spiced sausage, the stretchy melted cheese...but first and foremost, that incredible tomato sauce that no one comes close to.
Louie must be long since gone to Restaurant Heaven. But whoever is in charge now, my compliments. And, don't touch anything!

3  Thank jfnelson61
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Here in town for Naval Graduation, so after a long trip we went for some simple Italian food. Very clean and nice restaurant. My wife had the lasagna and loved it! I had the Veal Parmesan which was very good. Our sons girlfriend has spaghetti with meatballs. Service was fast and friendly. Very laid back old school place. When traveling we prefer places like this. Will eat there again if ever in town again.

1  Thank Mark P