“Quiet and breakfast was great!”

Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Wisconsin
“Quiet and breakfast was great!”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

So the positives, staff was friendly, the bed was comfy, it was quiet, the room looked pretty clean, and the breakfast was GREAT! Breakfast included your typical bagels and muffins, but it also had scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, make your own waffles and other assorted things... and we paid $59 to stay.
The one negative is the roomed smelled funny. It smelled like they were trying to cover up a smell with a lot of cleaning supplies... but the mixture was not pleasant. The problem I believe was from the heating/cooling unit in the window. The carpet underneath it was whitish.
I would stay again for the price and the breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Accomodations weren't bad except the hotel shares a very small parking lot with a restaurant and the DMV. Needless to say, if you're coming in with at 20' trailer, good luck!!
Believe it or not, the room was smaller than the parking lot. Quiet, comfortable bed but the room was beyond small.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Vevey, Switzerland
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I had been there in the past, and liked it. But it seems that they have stopped maintaining it. The corridor carpets are beyond cleaning, my room's carpet was not much better. The stopper in the bathroom sink was missing. There was a general feeling of "why bother? who cares?". One wonders if the chain's quality control is asleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mojave
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Quality Inn, Waukegan, Il. Our stay was fine, except we got a call at 9:00 pm from the hotel "housekeeping," reguesting to look at the bathroom mirror in our room for maintenance. I told the man " no, don't think so". He said okay. I opened our door to go complain to the manager and he and two other gentlemen were right there. He told me that it was okay, he would look at the mirror later. I'm sorry but that is just too creepy for me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goksucats
Michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Unfortunately we made reservations at the last minute, so I won't complain too much. Because for what we got, it was good.
We were there for our oldest son's pass-in-review from boot camp and the experience of graduation was awesome!!
We traveled from Michigan with our 2 other teenage sons and booked a room online that I didn't know was a smoking room until after I confirmed, but the night manager claimed it would not smell since they are the least requested rooms. So at first we thought we could all stay in the same
room since there was a sofa sleeer, but my husband and I ended up getting our own room across the hall
after we checked in. We got a good
Navy discount, used shuttle service, (which was fairly quick especially if you got down early to catch one) enjoyed a nice continental breakfast
and the day shift manager, Tracy, was great! So I'd recommend this hotel for last minute and a decent stay.

• Stayed June 2010
amayaandmorgane
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I just spent four nights at this hotel. Thanks to this website I did some research and had a wonderful time. The best part of the trip was the housekeeping staff. I have never been to a hotel where they take time with their work. The towels and washcloths were folded into ships and caps, which was sweet since my husband is in the NAVY.

The breakfast was very nice for being a continental with hot and cold foods. Which kept coming hot and fresh up to five minutes before they shut down for the morning. I stayed in a non smoking room and did not smell smoke anywhere in the hotel room. It was very clean, cute, and again the housekeeping staff was friendly and just amazing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
vermont
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for the weekend for my sons Naval Graduation. The rooms
are decent, clean the house keeping staff is fantastic! The day front desk staff was very professional and courteous. The complimentary shuttle to the base convenient but ours was late very late and then when it did show up there wasn't enough room for everyone so we had to wait another 10 min for another one. If you stay here rent a car, and either bring your own GPS or rent one. Nothing is close enough to walk to and for what I paid in taxi & airport shuttle fees I could've saved a few dollars and had the convenience of a vehicle. Leave for graduation early there is one road to get in and if you drive in they search the vehicles so that takes additional time. I also recommend ladies wearing comfortable shoes you are going to walk a long way and we saw so many ladies hobbling in there stilettos, not a good idea.
The ceremony was incredible and seeing your loved one is worth any of the expense and aggravation that you may have to deal with.

• Stayed July 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Super 8 Gurnee
Super 8 Gurnee
#8 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes? Share your experiences!