Howard Johnson Waukegan Great Lakes
$179
Orbitz.com
$60
$65
All reviewshour restaurantreset the routerboiled eggsdollar treeopen hoursnaval basewanted somethinga great place to staysix flagsroom was clean and comfortableshuttle servicecoffee makerhousekeeping staffbagelswould definitely stay here againminute drivefree breakfast
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Unfortunately, we stayed here for three nights for my son’s graduation from the Navy boot camp. I would have rather stayed in his barracks than in this dump.

Upon arrival, after I had called twice to ensure we had a suite with separate bedroom and living areas, I was quite surprised to find a hot and musky lobby that smelled like somebody had spilled a 55 gallon drum of Lysol. After getting our keys and asking where the elevator was, which they don’t have, we made our way up the stairs to find an even worse smell than the lobby. The ice machine we passed was loud and connected by two power strips attached to each other. Not sure how this place can pass a fire inspection. The hallway carpet was disgusting and smelled like somebody had used it for a toilet.

We opened out room to find more of the same smell and a very noisy air conditioner. The bathroom door would not stay shut. The fridge never got cold. The carpets were a mess so we kept shoes or socks on the entire time. The wiring is a maze of power strips all connected. After flying from California, this is not what you want to see after a long day of travel.

The next day we left for Navy graduation. I had left a Navy pin on the bathroom counter so not to forget it. Unfortunately, I forgot it and left for graduation without it. I remembered half way there but figured I would show my son afterwards. That never happened because when we got back, the maid had already stolen it. I went to the office immediately and was given the run around. I told the manager I wanted an answer the next day after the maid was there. I never got one but was told upon check out that she remembered seeing a navy pin with red on it. I guess she sold it to another guest.

This place is a complete dump and I would never stay here again. If you are looking for a place for graduation, look up either Outback Steakhouse, Cracker Barrel, Joes Crab Shack which are in a complex about 5 to 10 minutes away from this dump and there are many new and name brand hotels with restaurants and shopping nearby. This dump has nothing close that appears safe. I was in charge of hotels for this trip and my parents and other family members stayed here, three rooms total, they each said their room was worse than mine.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NavyDad1965
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived for Navy graduation at 8:30 to check in. The lobby was dirty and smelled musty. After checking in, we found the room to be filthy with stains on the bedspread and gross, disgusting carpet. There was mold in the bathroom grout. We did not expect four-star accomodations, but we did expect a clean room at the very least. We told the manager that the room was unsatisfactory and that we needed to leave. Our total time on premises was only 40 minutes, but they refused to give credit and cancel the reservation. In the following days, I called again to discuss credit but again was refused because it occurred after 6:00pm. I followed up with a complaint to Choice Priveleges program of which they are a part of, and they said it was up to the hotel to resolve. I am a frequent traveler and understand that there can be isolated problems from time to time. But this experience was completely unsatisfactory. Never again will I consider this location and frankly, I will think twice about any other Choice Priveleges property for future accomodations.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard G
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked with priceline and got what I thought was a great deal! It is humid in the lobby, as you try to get someone to care that you've arrived. It was raining and I was traveling with my parents, which would have been no big deal, but dad was on crutches. I parked at the side door after checking in to make it easier for dad to get to the room. No one told us, and there was no signage (just a slider for our key card) that stated that the slider didn't work and you can only use that door to get out, not in! Left dad standing in the rain while I tried to figure out what the deal was!! Unacceptable!! Got to our room, mind you we had been on a cross country flight, and then 2 hours in traffic to make a 40 mile drive to this hotel. Anyway, got to the tiny, dark room (I've seen pictures of brightened beautiful rooms for this hotel) and found out that the toilet didn't flush! We didn't do anything about it at first because it was late, we were hungry and tired. We got settled and went next door to the restaurant (and I use the term loosely). Not too good. Oh well, we are tired, let's go to bed. Next day, I complain about the toilet and the lady at the desk shows up with a plunger....not gonna do the trick, lady! It doesn't have the power to take anything down, it's NOT a clogging problem. Anyway, we stayed for 2 nights with unresolved toilet issues. Stay away from this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank navymom64
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I had to stay in this area and some of the reviewers praise this location. I wonder how many worked there. The greeting with Fran was good, Access to the room was quick. Once in the room it was musty. The air conditioner never got the room below about 72, even though it was on the entire visit. The window opened onto a weed and trash filled little alley, so I kept it closed. When I moved the curtain above the air conditioner the mold on the right side of the window frame covered have the base area and went up the wall up 18" on the right side and less on the left side. Also when taking a shower there were black mold and mildew spots on the wall above the shower and below the ceiling. The room did have lots of things like the refrigerator and microwave, but now plugs were available in convenient locations to use at the desk. There was no light on the desk and you had to unplug the light on that side of the room to use the outlet that was not daisy chaining everything else. In this location's favor was the firm mattress and clean bed and linens. The floor on the other hand appeared to have been vacuumed with a vacuum that could not get anything off the floor. Due to smells and mold I will not return here in the future. If you do choose to stay here there is an Aldi for reasonable groceries just down the road.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that was not on the dirty alley, at least then I could have opened it for fresh air.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank MichaelinNH
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This place doesn't deserve a rating, but I had to give it at least one to post my review.

We got 2 rooms - one for myself, husband & kids and one for my parents. We were in Waukegan for the Navy Graduation. My room, the air conditioner was broken. We were told they were going to replace the unit, instead of giving us another room. Needless to say, this was going to take some time My parent's room was at the end of the hall, just next to an unsecure outside door and smelled like someone had recently had a bowel movement in it. It stunk so bad, it was impossible not to gag when you walked in the door. Needless to say, we asked for a refund and left immediately.

This place was dirty, dirty, dirty. I have stayed in my share of not so nice hotels, but this BY FAR was the worst.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family