“Excellent !”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Paris, France
“Excellent !”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I booked this hotel to go to Gurnee Mills outlet and found it clean , spacious room , fre wifi as you get in Courtyard , pool etc ..
The staff is very friendly evrywhere in this hotel .
A very pleasant stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rv0365
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear rv0365,

Thank you for your fantastic review of our hotel and hospitality! We are thrilled you enjoyed all of our amenities, friendly team and clean rooms! Our team has some of the highest service and cleanliness scores in the nation and they are very proud of that honor.

There are so many fun area attractions here in the Waukegan/Gurnee area, and we hope to have you stay with us again.

Warmest regards,

Christine and the Courtyard Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I planned the trip for attending my son's Navy boot camp graduation ceremony last year but had to cancel the whole trip because he couldn't graduate in time. The only person that refunded me for the trip was the general manager who worked for Marriott. I want to put in this review to thank her again. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Summer1022
Dear wxwrg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We sure wish you could have come stay with us, however we are so happy that we were able to turn around your travel experience.

We hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Warmest regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recently stayed at this property, and it was nothing more than ok. I had a bus load of kids and adults, and the staff did rope off a section of the back parking lot for parking which I appreciated. But the property is hard to get around. There was one ice machine on each floor and being at the far corner of the building on the opposite side proved to be quite a walk just for a bucket of ice. I was assigned a room right next to the outside exit. Not my first choice. The first person went out the door at 6:05 am and it locked behind them with a loud bang which woke me. I'm guessing since I was right next to the outside door, that would explain the pill bugs(total of 3) that I encountered over the weekend. Again, not a real good thing. And the killer, no continental breakfast of any type. Period. $3.85 for a bowl of oatmeal? If the decision is mine, I will choose to stay elsewhere.

1 Thank Mark S
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Mark S.,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I'm happy you found our group management accommodating and orderly. We are very proud of how we welcome and manage our fabulous visiting groups. We always strive for a perfect 10, however sometimes miss that mark. Your feedback only helps us to identify ways we can improve. I would like to apologize if your room location did not meet your needs. It is our job to make it right, and I encourage you or any guest to call the front desk immediately, so that we can make you more comfortable.

The Courtyard brand initiated its new Refreshing Business concept as a result of such feedback from our guests. The consistent message has included a desire for healthy breakfast options that are cooked to order, Starbucks coffee, and technology-savvy living spaces outside of the room, just to name a few. This new refreshing change has been well received from our travelers. You may find on your next trip booking one of our breakfast packages would work best for you.

In order to make the most of your feedback, I need to know where you were located specifically. I would very much like to talk with you in more detail about your visit and would welcome a call or an email.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Christine Trippi
christine.trippi@marriott.com
847-689-8000
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My son and I had flew into Chicago for my daughter's graduation from the Navy and had booked a reservation at this hotel. The young man that checked us in was very friendly and was very informative about shuttle service and good restaurants. While he
was checking us in I heard a woman shouting in the office behind him using some rather vulgar language then heard a noise that sounded like a phone slamming down. My son has wandered off so luckily he didn't hear any of it. The woman appeared shortly afterward and her name tag said Tracy. She didn't attempt to say hello at all and she appeared flustered with red cheeks. I received my room key card and brought our luggage to our room. The room was very immaculate and smelled fresh. The bathroom was also cleaner than I expected so cleanliness was the best part of the stay. The next afternoon I took my son and daughter to the cafe in the lobby for snacks and drinks and came across the same woman Tracy from the day before at the counter. She didn't say hello, how are you, or even smile. Instead she asked me " What do you want " ? Seriously? ?? I found out later from the maid that brought us towels that Tracy was the General Manager. The rest of the staff were very friendly and prompt. Other than the 2 experiences with the General
Manager everything else was great. .

• Stayed September 2013
Dear NavMom11,

Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation from the Navy! I know how proud you must be! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hospitality, Navy-friendly amenities and found your room to be immaculate!

Our Navy families are our favorite guests and we are so honored to serve you! I was shocked when I read your comments about our Assistant General Manager and I know she will be heartbroken to know she let you down. It is certainly not the typical experience, as you can see from the many reviews. I would very much like to talk to you more about this experience, and I know she would like to apologize personally. If you could contact me either by phone or email. Chrisitne.trippi@marriott.com or 847-689-8000.

Thank you so much again and on behalf of the entire Courtyard Crew, we wish your family all the best!

Christine Trippi
Hesperia, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hotel has been redone, since I last stayed 15 years earlier. Check In & Out team is efficient. Room is clean and comfortable. There was paving work being done in the parking lot during the stay, and the staff did a great job managing noise and parking needs. Excellent service all the way around. Will stay here in the future. Great job!!

Dear John B.,

WOW! 15 years, that's loyalty! Thank you very much for your loyalty and fantastic review of our hotel. We are very proud to bring you all new refreshing rooms, Bistro, linens, and now .... parking lot!

We really appreciate your taking the time to spread the good word about the Courtyard Waukegan!

Looking forward to seeing you again,

Lincoln, Nebraska, Usa
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

It was fine. I stayed for one night for business and the location was great.

Rooms were your typical older courtyards. I sure like the showers in the new ones / please Marriott - get rid of those tubs!

What really stood out was the friendliness of the staff. Wow - they really seemed like they appreciated my business. They were having their parking lot replaced and went above and beyond apologizing for this (and it wasn't a big deal). I've stayed in courtyard that really have parking issues (check out Lincoln, Nebraska). Anyway - they had a free reception with some great good and free beer or wine. Did exactly what it was supposed to do. Made me forget about the dirty & smelly asphalt work outside.

When I come back to the area will for sure stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Kevin H.,

We REALLY do appreciate your business! :) Thank you so much for the fantastic review and we do thank you for pardoning our dust while we worked to bring you the very best in hospitality and accommodations! The new lot looks amazing! We are thrilled you were able to take part in our thank you reception.

We will look forward to your return visit,

High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Back in June 2013, an associate and I were told we were going for a four-week business trip to Waukegan, IL After the four-weeks, we were told the job was going to be an additional two weeks and that happened multiple times. We are now on our 11th week and travel can be frustrating and simply tiresome.

The brighest moments of my day when I am in Waukegan is seeing the staff at the Courtayard Marriott. I want to especially give recognition to Helen, front-desk extraordinaire, who week-in and week-out give EXCELLENT and OUTSTANDING service to her guests, by not just being kind and doing her job, but because she anticipates the guests' needs. For example, I recently starting working out back in March and lost some weight, after a few weeks of staying there, I sometimes forget to pick up passes at the nearest gym. Helen knows that I like going to the gym, she knows I need passes and instead of asking, she fills one out and hands to me during check-in.

Another person I want to recognize is Christine Trippi. I have three words, "What a manager." She is one of the nicest peeople I've ever met. She greets us in the morning during breakfast service and when we get back, she is still there working away. She is not only nice to her guests, but also her staff. There may be some people that do not care for bubbly personalities, but she pulls it off with grace and it is absolutely a plus in my book.

It's not the most interesting town, but as long as I am here in Waukegan for work, I will stay only at this Courtyard Marriott.

1 Thank Tony N
Dear Tony N.,

We are humbled by your generous comments and honored to serve our "Road Warriors!" We know your project is ending and won't be visiting as frequently, but you will always have a place to call home here in Waukegan!

All the best to you and your family,

Christine, Helen and the Courtyard Crew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!