“Incredibly Expensive Long Distance Charge”

Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Ottawa, Canada
“Incredibly Expensive Long Distance Charge”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Travel Date - early December
Rate - Corporate Rate, $109++, include free breakfast

Spring Hill down the street was fully booked, so I stayed at this location for the first time.
Friendly reception.
Building is up to date.
No free coffee available outside breakfast time.
A small gym with 2 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines. The TV is located at the back of the runner. Go figure.

Room and the amenities are good. I got a good corporate rate, otherwise a full breakfast can easily set you back $10 - $15.

Basic free internet is available. Don't expect to do any intensive YouTube, or VPN through that. It's meant for checking email.
Courtyard will offer you the premium internet at a charge. My feeling is that Courtyard is nickel and dime their guests. Compared to Spring Hill, their internet is free, fast and reliable. No question asked.

Made one phone call to Canada each morning during the 3 nights I was there. Turned out I was charge more than $1 per minute to Ontario Canada. That's ridiculous in these day and age.

Overall, the stay was fine. Will I come back given the choice? My preference is Spring Hill suite just down the road.

Room Tip: Ask reception for discount coupon for Anastasia next door.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Batu8,

Thank you very much for your detailed review! I'm thrilled you found our crew friendly and hotel accommodating. The best thing about Marriott is there is a brand for every traveler. I'm happy that you also find great lodging at our sister property down the street.

Here are some differentiators the Courtyard offers that will help travelers make the best choice for them:
* Bistro with cook to order breakfast, dinner, cocktails and 24 hour Starbucks
* Large swimming pool with hot tub
* Concierge luggage service for our regular guests.
* Fitness room and LA Fitness passes to help you keep your fitness routine on the road.
* Recently completed a 20k internet upgrade that offers 1MB complementary or an upgraded package up to 3MB good for streaming videos and such. (Upgraded package is complimentary for all Gold and Platinum Elite members.)
* You can also look forward to our room renovation beginning in February!
As for the long distance calls, in any hotel brand, I recommend using a cell phone to avoid additional charges.

I would really love the opportunity to serve you again. If you have a moment to give me a call, I would enjoy talking to you and learning your personal preferences so that we can personalize your visit.

Warmest regards,

Christine and the Courtyard Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this month for four days. We went to our son Navy Graduation. I was amazed for the good services and good hotel. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The room was excellent very clean and nice. The hotel is very well maintain and very modern with nice decoration. The place was very very close to Navy Boot Camp Graduation. The hotel is very well located. There is a Walmart super store and very good place to eat very close. We stayed in a lot of hotels before but this one definitely was the best. Also if you are worry about safety in Chicago this area is very good and safe. Also the staff can tell you where to go and be safe. We went to Gurnee and the mall and places to eat were excellent and very close from the hotel. We rent a car however we took the shuttle to the graduation and we just pay $3. We definitely will stay in this hotel. Excellent services and staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilyily123
Dear ilyily123,

Congratulations on your new Navy Grad!! How proud your family must be!

Thank you very much for sharing such and excellent and detailed review of your visit to our hotel! We are honored to serve our Navy families and look forward to their arrivals each week! (Friday graduation is our favorite day of the week!)

Best of luck to your family and your new graduate,

Kenedy, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard by Marriott twice during the holidays. Once was to Adopt-A-Sailor for Christmas and the second time was for our sailor's graduation. We were beyond satisfied with our stay. The staff was very helpful and we felt safe, which was a plus because my husband wasn't able to travel with my daughter and I (from Texas) and he was worried about our safety. The staff, the rooms, the location and the price were top-notch! On our last night there our Sailor decided to propose to his girlfriend (my daughter) of three years. As she went to get dinner with his family, we snuck downstairs and asked the desk clerk if we could have the proposal in the lobby in front of the fireplace. Within seconds, he had balloons, a helium tank, ribbons and streamers. He was so excited for us and he went above and beyond to make the proposal a special one. As we were decorating, one of the guests asked if we were having a party and when we explained to her what we were doing she informed us that she was a photographer and she was sweet enough to take pics of the proposal. It was one of the best days of my life. The Courtyard will always hold a special place in their hearts and I'm positive they will be visiting occasionally during their married life. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ninaescandon72
Dear ninaescandon72,

When I read your review, it was the first I had heard about the big proposal!! I was just beaming with pride that our crew took such good care of your family! What a heartwarming story! The crew member that went the extra mile for you is Steve and he is sensational!! He is such a warm and humble, he didn't even tell us all about it! :)

I have also shared this story on our Facebook page. Thank you a million times for sharing it with the Trip Advisor community, we REALLY appreciate it!

Best of luck to you and the happy couple, we certainly hope your travels will bring you back to Waukegan again!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and i stayed here in Nov 2012 for Navy Graduation. This place is wonderful! The staff is wonderful! The rooms were very clean and the beds sooo comfortable. They were helpful with information on graduation. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to stay in the area.

1 Thank kolibri1011
Dear kolibri1011,

Thank you so much for the outstanding review of your visit! We are proud and honored to serve our Navy families and we certainly appreciate your spreading the good word!!

On top of an already clean, comfortable hotel, you can let your fellow Navy families know that all of our rooms will be remodeled, beginning in February! (Including beds!)

Conratulations to your graduate and hope to see you again soon,

Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My family and I stayed here in November-December 2012. We were in the area for a Navy Graduation. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The rooms (we had 2) were very comfortable and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any family traveling to the area for a Navy Boot Camp Graduation. Your staff made the weekend very special for my new Sailor!

1 Thank JBS71
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear JBS71,

Congratulations to your new Sailor!!

Our team is thrilled you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be comfortable, clean and friendly!

We appreciate your generous review and thank you very much for passing on the good word to other Navy families!! We are genuinely honored to serve you and hope to have the opportunity again soon!

Happy New Year,

Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had the privilege of staying here twice recently. We can’t say enough great things about the staff and accommodations. The facility was impeccably clean and comfortable. Service was beyond anything ever expected. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and very patient with our many questions :). The lobby is designed to give you comfort and an atmosphere to relax and visit. Very well thought out! The staff is the friendliest and most helpful staff I’ve ever experienced. The food choices at the Bistro were ample and very fairly priced. You can tell the staff truly enjoys what they do. Not something you see everywhere these days. They should be very proud of the experience they provide. This facility sets an excellent example for other hotels.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms on our trips. The first time we booked a suite to have separate rooms fo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Lisa B,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Your review of our property and hospitality just made our day! I read your review at our team morning and afternoon team meetings, and I wish I had a photo to post of the beaming pride on their faces. It would show you just how much your words meant to us!

Often in hospitality you tend to hear more of what is wrong, and that's okay. That's why we are here, for our guests! However when our guests take the time out of their busy schedule to share with the world how we did it so right, well..... we just have nothing but gratitude!! And yes, we DO truly enjoy what we do.

Warmest holiday wishes to you and yours,

Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I'm a frequent business traveler and am a regular at the Courtyard in Waukegan. Needing to work in area, the location is perfect.

The staff is awesome! I love how Christine's energy in the morning is so contagious and a great way to start the day! And how Peter makes the perfect drink to unwind with in the evening! All of the staff is warm and welcoming!

Food is good and consistent. I love the Healthy Start breakfast sandwich!

Rooms are comfortable and roomy. My only minor compliant is that some of satellite tv channels sometimes get "stuck" ? I don't think this is something the hotel can control though. I think it's Dish related?

I enjoy the Hot tub and lounging in the courtyard area (in the summer) after a long day.

I will continue to stay at this hotel and continue to be a regular. Thank you to the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside. The courtyard view is nice (much better than the parking lot or highw...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robyn_in_DallaGA,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let other travelers know about the great service and hospitality they will also find here at the Courtyard, Waukegan and thank you for recognizing the team! That really made our day!

We not only love having you as our guest, but thank you for your loyalty! We will see you in the New Year! (2013 Resolution - Try the Breakfast BLT! My favorite!)

Warmest holiday wishes to you and yours,

Christine and the Courtyard Crew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!