“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Florence, Kentucky
“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had the privilege of staying here twice recently. We can’t say enough great things about the staff and accommodations. The facility was impeccably clean and comfortable. Service was beyond anything ever expected. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and very patient with our many questions :). The lobby is designed to give you comfort and an atmosphere to relax and visit. Very well thought out! The staff is the friendliest and most helpful staff I’ve ever experienced. The food choices at the Bistro were ample and very fairly priced. You can tell the staff truly enjoys what they do. Not something you see everywhere these days. They should be very proud of the experience they provide. This facility sets an excellent example for other hotels.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms on our trips. The first time we booked a suite to have separate rooms fo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Lisa B,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Your review of our property and hospitality just made our day! I read your review at our team morning and afternoon team meetings, and I wish I had a photo to post of the beaming pride on their faces. It would show you just how much your words meant to us!

Often in hospitality you tend to hear more of what is wrong, and that's okay. That's why we are here, for our guests! However when our guests take the time out of their busy schedule to share with the world how we did it so right, well..... we just have nothing but gratitude!! And yes, we DO truly enjoy what we do.

Warmest holiday wishes to you and yours,

Christine and the Courtyard Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I'm a frequent business traveler and am a regular at the Courtyard in Waukegan. Needing to work in area, the location is perfect.

The staff is awesome! I love how Christine's energy in the morning is so contagious and a great way to start the day! And how Peter makes the perfect drink to unwind with in the evening! All of the staff is warm and welcoming!

Food is good and consistent. I love the Healthy Start breakfast sandwich!

Rooms are comfortable and roomy. My only minor compliant is that some of satellite tv channels sometimes get "stuck" ? I don't think this is something the hotel can control though. I think it's Dish related?

I enjoy the Hot tub and lounging in the courtyard area (in the summer) after a long day.

I will continue to stay at this hotel and continue to be a regular. Thank you to the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside. The courtyard view is nice (much better than the parking lot or highw...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robyn_in_DallaGA,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let other travelers know about the great service and hospitality they will also find here at the Courtyard, Waukegan and thank you for recognizing the team! That really made our day!

We not only love having you as our guest, but thank you for your loyalty! We will see you in the New Year! (2013 Resolution - Try the Breakfast BLT! My favorite!)

Warmest holiday wishes to you and yours,

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip in mid-December. The hotel lobby must have been recently renovated, as it looked fresh, included an electronic bulletin board and featured an upgraded dining area different from Courtyards of years past, offering breakfast, lunch and dinner with a slightly expanded menu. More on the food in a bit.

It was VERY quiet when I was here. I saw no more than a half-dozen other guests. However, when there are graduations at the nearby Great Lakes Naval Base, I'm sure it's a hopping place. The clerk was often in another room and I had to wait a bit for her to come to the registration desk. However, she was very friendly and I was registered quickly. After mentioning the new bistro area at the Courtyard, she gave me some other suggestions for dinner. There is not a lot of choice in the general area of the hotel, but the deep dish pizza at Anastasia's sports bar next door was quite good.

My room was a decent size, clean, with a king-size bed, couch, good work area and a flat screen TV on an articulating stand so I could watch it from wherever I was in the room. There was also a small outdoor seating area overlooking the courtyard between wings of the building.

The bathroom was relatively small, with the sink located outside the main bathroom and opposite the good-sized closet. The bathroom was spotless, though the door handle inside the bathroom was broken and should have been fixed or replaced. HVAC noise outside my room woke me at 4:45 my last morning, but I had an early flight, so I guess my mechanical wake-up call proved useful.

There is a very small gym with two treadmills and an elliptical machine, all of which have cardio-theater with earbuds provided. There are some light hand-weights, too. There are also towels, disinfectant wipes, and a water cooler. There is a small indoor pool and whirlpool.

Breakfast was unexpectedly good. I had the oatmeal cobbler, with brown sugar, cinnamon apples and dried cranberries. Tasty. They serve typical breakfast fare, plus soups, salads, wraps, ribs, burgers, beer and Starbucks coffee.

Internet access was free, if you didn't mind a slower speed. You can pay about $6 a night for faster speed, but if all you do communicate via email, the slower speed is fine. There are also two computer stations in the lobby and another station to print out your boarding passes. O'Hare is about a 40 minute drive, depending on traffic.

This is your typical Marriott Courtyard with a couple of upgrades. If you're staying this far outside of Chicago, it's a reliable outpost of a standard chain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tim M,

Thank you very much for your detailed review! The team is thrilled you enjoyed your visit and found our Courtyard to be convenient, clean and hospitable!

We appreciate your taking a moment to help other travelers make their travel arrangements. (Especially our Navy families) It's not an easy choice when you are not familiar with an area.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Standard Courtyard look and feel. Reasonable location and rates. Staff was OK. The room itself smelled horrible. Had to open sliding doors on a cold night to be able to bear it.

Clear need for refurbish bathroom or to hire better cleaning staff. Would never return.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear California3,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I'm glad you found our rates, location and team accommodating during your visit; however I understand your frustration and I am very sorry that the comfort of your room was disappointing.

I did not see that anything was reported during your visit. On behalf of hospitality everywhere, we want to know when our guests are not comfortable. When we know, we can fix any concern for you as soon as possible; however it is our responsibility to catch that before our guests arrive and I am very sorry that we let you down.

In order to use this information to better train my team, I need to know what room number you stayed in. If you have a moment to give me a call, I would enjoy talking with you more.

847-689-8000
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My family and I stayed here for my son's graduation from Navy boot camp and I can't say enough positive things about Courtyard. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were treated with the utmost in hospitality. Staff members were courteous, helpful and went above and beyond to assist us. Other hotels could learn a lot from this team. If and when we ever have to return, I will not hesitate to book this hotel again. Thank you all so very much.

Room Tip: I would probably ask for a corner room the next time if they in fact are larger,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear LoveDems04,

Thank you for the "Fabulous" review!

I'm excited to post this on our, " Wall of Fame" for our crew to know how much their efforts mean to all of our guests; especially our Navy families.

Thank you for taking the time to share and we congratulate you on your new Navy Grad!!

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2012

To whom it may concern,

I am a brother of a Navy Graduate that graduated on 12/1/2012. My family and I flew in Thursday night from Dallas,Tx. From the get go the service was exemplary and polished. The kind lady upgraded our room to two beds to accommodate our needs. The Hotel was clean, nice, and cozy. Room service did a great job of cleaning and re-making the beds. I have stayed in many hotels and in fact I used to live at one for 3 months and I have never been treated so nice by a staff. The employees seem to love working there, therefore they show love back. The comfortability of our stay was a subject of conversation multiple times for the four days we stayed. The experience was awesome and there is no question to where I am staying when I return to visit my brother on base. Also, The Bistro restaurant/bar inside the the hotel was a pleasure to dine at. Peter was the head bartender and he was awesome! His service was the reason I must of ate at that place 10 or 12 times; not to mention the great food! The Restaurant manager was very nice to and went out of his way to tell us secrets about getting to the graduation on time. Ladies and Gents, I rarely write reviews but my stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Waukegan deserved as many characters as I wrote. Thanks Staff as I am in still in awe and humbled by my stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Colton T,

WOW! What a review! Thank you for taking the time to share this with our travelers. Our team, and especially Peter, will be thrilled to know how much they impacted your visit. It will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

As a leader, receiving letters such as this is my greatest pride and being able to share them with my staff is my greatest joy. Thank you for that gift!

Congratulations to your family on your new graduate and we hope to have you as our guest again!

Williamsburg, Va
Reviewed December 1, 2012

There are actually about seven of us who have stayed there on a fairly regular basis. Christine always refers to us by name and never stops smiling. She goes out of her way to make us feel at home. Her staff (Helen and Robert at the front desk and Minerva and Catina in the restaurant) follow her lead. They are always pleasant and willing to do whatever it takes to make our stay a pleasant one. I always look for Marriott Courtyards when I travel because of people like Christine and her staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Barney_Beans
Dear Dr. B,

I know you are a busy man and I appreciation your taking the time to share this with our travel community. It really means a lot to us to know we make a difference for you and your team while on the road. You made our day!

We look forward to another year of hospitality and BRAND NEW guest rooms!!

Warmest holiday wishes from our home to yours,

Christine and the Courtyard Crew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!