“#1 Hotel Staff of the hundreds of hotels I've visited”

Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“#1 Hotel Staff of the hundreds of hotels I've visited”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

For the past 6 years, I have been staying at over 20 different hotels a year. (Usually 1 to 2 hotel reservations a week). These range from some of the nicest hotels in the world to your "average" hotel. I have yet to stay at one where the staff was this friendly. Everything at this hotel is above average but nothing compares to the attitude of the staff from the general manager, bistro staff, front desk staff, engineers, and house keeping. One new benefit.... LA Fitness passes that you can get for free if you are an elite member or for $5 for everyone else.

Staff: Unmatched

Lobby: The "pit" is awesome. There is a nice secluded area where you and some friends can watch TV and hang out in a relaxing area.

Food: Great.

Internet: They have recently upgraded their internet so it is dependent and capable of streaming video/tv.

Pool Area: This is a very very big indoor pool area for a courtyard with nice furniture and tables.

I have stayed at the Residence Inn and the Springhill Suites in the same area.
I found that the Residence Inn is very outdated and the rooms carry a very strong smell of food that the previous guest cooked in it. The Springhill Suites is okay with nice rooms, but I'm not a fan of the lobby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cody D
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Cody D,

Thank you so much for making the Courtyard Waukegan your home away from home!

Wow, Wow, Wow! I couldn't pay for a nicer review! We are humbled and honored by your generous comments! I'm thrilled you are enjoying our new internet and fitness package.

As the new General Manager I really appreciate your taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay! I am excited to share your thoughtful review with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

I thank you in advance for telling all your friends and colleagues about the wonderful service and amenities we offer!

On behalf of all of us at the Marriott Courtyard Waukegan, we look forward to making your return visit a perfect stay!

Christine Trippi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Wonderful breakfast with best egg whites and whole wheat toast I ever had. Such a friendly staff too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank akaka36854
Dear akaka36854,

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard as your home away from home!

As the new General Manager I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay and have breakfast! I will give your compliments to the "Chef!" I’m thrilled you had a wonderful visit with us and I am excited to share your generous comments with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

Northern VA
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The friendly service at this hotel set it apart from other Courtyard Hotels and made up for a couple of minor inconveniences. Several of the front desk personnel offered suggestions for restaurants and had discount offers for their favorites. The staff at the breakfast bar seemed to love their jobs, which made mornings a bit more cheery than usual. Unfortunately, the side doors did not unlock with room keys - each evening there was a parade of guests walking around the parking lot from their cars to the front entrance. Also, the lobby internet connection for printing boarding passes was painfully slow. They did say they were going to be upgrading that.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side near (but not next to) the one elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank novaguest
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Novaguest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard as your home away from home!

As the new General Manager I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback for other guests to view and see what a great place the Courtyard is to stay! I’m thrilled you had a wonderful visit with us and I am excited to share your generous comments with my team. This will certainly motivate them to continue delivering exceptional hospitality!

Yes, our internet is currently in process of an upgrade and it will be lighting fast within two weeks! We are all very excited. Thank you also for letting us know about the issue you had with the outside doors. I have our engineering team on it and I appreciate your feedback - it only helps us to continue delivering the legendary service Marriott is known for!

White Salmon
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We spent a week at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel in Waukegan while attending our son's Navy Boot Camp graduation at Great Lakes. The staff was superior and made us feel at home and welcomed. The General Manager Christine and Front Desk Staff Helen and Dan were standout employees, but everyone treated us well. Our Navy Grad was welcomed at the Hotel, and they even put out decorations for the weekend to celebrate and recognize the sailors accomplishments. It was fun visiting with other "Navy Moms' and dads as we were all so happy to be there and were all so excited to see our sons/daughters. The staff shared in our excitement which we really appreciated. Having Starbucks next door and available in the hotel was a bonus. The location was perfect for us as we didn't use a rental car, but had easy access to many restaurants and a super Walmart for basic needs. Loved the pool and hot tub. They gave us a refrigerator since we were staying extra long which was nice. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Donna C
Dear Donna C,

Thank you so much for that FABULOUS post! I am so excited to share this with Helen, Dan and the whole team!

We enjoy creating a warm, welcoming environment for our Navy families and we are so honored you chose us to celebrate this exciting event! An event like this will be remembered forever and we are thrilled to be a part of it!

Congratulations to your Navy Grad and we hope to see your family again soon!!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We recently had a weekend stay at this location and the staff took the extra steps to make the "young" guests feel at home. The Nickelodean touches really made a difference with the set of 5 yr old triplets! My sister and her family needed a break and this was a fabulous getaway...

The rooms are spacious and the well maintained. The front desk staff is quick to respond and very attentive! I would highly recommend this hotel for the family on the go who simply want to relax for a long weekend. The front desk staff is also very helpful with pointing out local attractions and events tthat will round out your stay!

The breakfast bar is cost effective and you have the option of a simple bowl of oatmeal or a breakfast scrambler (yum). All in all a great stay...make it your mini-vacation getaway..

Much appreciation from a Happy Auntie!

Room Tip: The front desk is very helpful with selections...depending on the season try to get a room with a ba...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SpringFling2011
Christine T, General Manager at Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Happy Auntie!

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We enjoyed having your family visit and it is ALWAYS fun to host triplets!! I am thrilled to share your comments with our team, it will certainly motivate them to continue delivering the legendary hospitality Marriott is known for!

On behalf of all of us at the Marriott Courtyard Waukegan, we look forward to making your return visit another perfect stay!

Much appreciation from a Happy General Manager! :)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This is what the typical Courtyard has become, unfortunately. They do have the newer lobby with The Bistro 'restaurant', which is at least a help. The placement of elevators in Courtyards is always frustrating, because they are only on one side, and you have to walk quite a ways to get to it. If your room is on the opposite side of the elevator - plan extra time! The rooms are typical. They are okay, but the beds aren't comfortable, the pillows are very lumpy, and the bedding looked dingy, flat and old. The room was clean mostly though, except for the sofa which was spotted. I wish the Courtyards would update their rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WJ2011
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2011

For a family of six, the two queen room was rather spacious. We had enough room for two sleeping bags on the floor too boot. The bathroom in our room was extremely quiet. They did a fantastic job of soundproofing the living space and the bathroom walls. We couldnt hear our toliet flush, let alone the upstairs or downstairs rooms.

The pool area was nice and clean. It didnt have an overwhleming smell of cholrine like you get with some hotel pools.

It was in a very easy location with a lot of restaurants in walking distance. Denny's is literally right next door and open 24 hours. There is also a detactched Starbucks coffee infront of the hotel.

Everything was very clean and comfortable. It was nice to have your own numeric air condition control panel. My husband loved that we could maintain a constant temper in the room with so many kids.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank soccermomof4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!