“Good value for the money.”

Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband, oldest son and I stayed here June 4 for my youngest son's graduation from Navy bootcamp.

We received a military discount which was good. I booked 1 room with double beds.

When we arrived it was late and the young lady was nice during check in although she could use better customer service skills. The lobby was clean and quiet. When we got to the 2nd floor where our room was located and we opend the double doors into the hallway the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. The room and bathroom was clean, bathroom was small and it served our needs just fine.

The breakfast buffet was sparse but it also served our needs fine since we needed to make our way to the graduation. The coffee was hot, orange juice was available and there was varieties of bagels and danish and you could make waffles, toast and have cereal.

My only complaint is the cigarette smoke. The smell was so overwhelming that the 2 nights we were there I couldn't sleep. I had to sleep with my head covered and a towel covering my nose to keep from inhaling the smoke.

I did mention to the manager during checkout about the smoke and he gave me some lame excuse about smoking rooms on the other end and smoke drifting down the hall and I told him that might be the case but not this time, it was the lady staying across the hall that kept chain smoking the whole entire time.

I read the bad reviews and it is what it is. I knew I wasn't getting a 3 or 4 star hotel room for $68, a swimming pool and all the amenities when I booked the room. We needed a clean place to stay while spending time with our son and the Comfort Inn accomplished that.

If you know what you are getting going in then you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We booked this hotel because our son was graduating from Navy Basic Training and they offered a special rate for that of $69 per night. Upon arrival we discovered that this hotel does not have a pool (my own fault for not checking). The hotel itself is old, worn out and in definite need of a face lift. Not sure what "upgrades" were made in the rooms, but our's was still old style, smelled musty and I was appalled that they charged $69 per night (with the non-military rate being over $100!!!). This hotel is a discredit to the Comfort chain, which I have come to expect high standards from. This hotel offered more along the lines of a Motel 6 or Super 8. Not that I mind those types of hotels, but if I want that type of hotel, I STAY in that type of hotel.
To the hotel's credit, the front desk staff are very friendly and always smiling. That is about the only good thing to say about this location. We originally booked 3 nights but checked out after one and moved to the LaQuinta in Bannockburn where, for $74 a night we got an indoor heated pool, jacuzzi and wonderful breakfast layout.
There are so many other hotels in the area (the LaQuinta is also convenient to the Navy Base), just say no to this Comfort Inn and go elsewhere. For your money, you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
kenhasty, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

I am sorry you felt this way, but I am glad our staff was friendly and helpful.

We work hard to make everyones stay as comfortable as possible, and the majority of our guest leave here more than satisfied.

We hope you would consider us again, we will try to make sure your stay is to your satisfaction.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

Perfectly adequate for a budget hotel. Rooms have been upgraded and were spacious and comfortable, well within expectations. Breakfast a bit weak on quantity and variety, but other than that, a perfectly acceptable stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I just want to give you and your staff a heartfelt thanks for taking care of my family during our stay. We truly appreciated the genuine kindness and sincerity because that is hard to find these days. There is a tremendous difference in the service provided when you know that someone is doing it because they really care and not because they have too. That is what I felt from you and your staff. Danas, Daisy, and the young lady who works the graveyard shift (I can't remember her name, I apologize) were all so helpful in making sure we were comfortable and welcome, please let them know they exceeded our expectations and that they did an excellent job. It's the personal touch that was added that makes me go from being a one time customer to one who may possibly be lifelong customer. You all were fantastic, thank you again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Quoted on the phone for $115, total for the stay came to $245. i confirmed and reaffirmed the quoted prices, the totals added while making reservations. Cleanliness, affordability, and value pales in comparision to other hotels in the area.

Will be making an attempt to take this hotel off of the flyers sent out to family members seeking to attend RTC graduations.

Stay away from this place. Management was unable to fix the problem.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Zen651
Reviewed April 22, 2009

My family and I needed a room for my sons navy graduation so i was informed about this hotel because it had free shuttle to and from. When i called the person that answered the phone had me on hold for a very long time. I hung up. When i called back the person that answer put me on hold once again. When they finally answered they were rude. The gentleman claimed to be the manager but he was very rude and unprofessional. Being that i really needed a hotel that provided shuttle to and from i decided to just book the room. The price was reasonable. When my family and I arrived we were greeted by a african american gentleman that was very nice but that smelled like if he hadnt showered in days. When we went up to our rooms we realized that they gave us a smoking room when we requested a non-smoking. We called the from desk and they said that it was a non smoking room but the room smelled very much like someone had been smoking in there right before we arrived. Well ok... we just ignored all that trouble and decided to go get some dinner when we arrived we decided to go to bed. Little did we know that we were not sleeping alone. The hotel room had bed bugs and my little ones had gotten bitten all over there body when we brought it to the front desk attention she looked at me as if she knew and was just acting like if she didn't. We tried to get our money back but they refused. SO PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL THEY HAVE BED BUGS AND THEY DON'T CARE AND THEY WILL PUT YOU IN A ROOM WITH BED BUGS.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family

Our staff here at the Comfort Inn goes above and beyond to give top customer sevice, and we care greatly about the needs of our guest.

At any time any guest has any concern, I am the General Manager, and I am available 24 hours a day.

It is unfortunate that when people want discounts and you don't give it to them, they will strike out any way they can.

Reviewed January 28, 2009

Great place to stay for RTC graduations. The shuttle is the way to go, hassle free. Get the discount rate if you are there for a Navy Grad.
Rates are reasonable, room was clean, staff helpful.

For what it is (not five star), this is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
1 mi away
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
3 mi away
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!