“Great stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Athens, Georgia
“Great stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We chose Red Roof Inn for the price and location for the graduation of my son-in-law from Navy boot camp the weekend of 2/1. We were not sure of what we were getting, had not read the reviews before hand. It was just the location we needed. My daughter and I could not have asked for a better stay. The manager, Ken, treated us like royality. We arrived in about 7 degree weather at close to 8 PM. He came to our car after we had parked, carried our luggage up the stairs to our room, insisted. That was beyond the call of duty. We stayed from 1/31 thru 2/2. As we were getting ready to leave, we pulled to the front to load our luggage, he loaded it for us, wiped all snow (about 3" had fallen over night).Totally cleared our car of the snow. He was so helpful as to restaurants, places to go for the graduation, etc as was his staff. We ended up needing to leave to be near MIdway earlier than planned due to getting to visit with sailor at the airport for 5 hours on Saturday. We told him of this and he said he thought it to be the best idea and did not hesitate to cancel our planned stay for the night of the 2/2. What other manager would have said that. He cares about his guests and it shows. His assistants (mgrs) or just staff, not sure, but if you had a question, they were there to answer as best they could, doing very well concerning the weather or the best place to eat or where the walmart was. I even noticed the morning of the PIR graduation, each recruit was only allowed 3 guest due to the size of the graduation so many people had to stay behind at the hotels. Breakfast time was to be over with but when a group came down, the food was immediately put back out for the guest. The breakfast room was open to all who wanted to sit there and visit during the day. The rooms were clean, no smells, fresh smelling towels and linens. The hotel has recently been upgraded to new TVs, pillows and looked really nice. I think it would make your stay enjoyable whether for a Navy graduation or overnight stay. I would definitely stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Grandnet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Beaumont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Excellent choice for us! We come for our sons graduation from Navy Boot Camp. They offered a discount for military families as well as information about the graduation and directions to the base. The staff was friendly and the manager treated us like we were family. He helped us find our room and made sure everything was to our liking. When we returned from our daily outings, he came out of his office and asked how our day was and if we needed anything. His staff members were also very accommodating and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable and only a few miles from the Navy base. They offered a shuttle to and from graduation, a complementary breakfast with great coffee. After graduation we brought our new Sailor back to the hotel to visit and relax. Other hotels and business should treat customers the way Ken and his staff treated us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had a little trouble finding the inn (even the GPS could not locate the address), but when I entered the place, there was a really friendly staff greeting me. The place might look quaint but they are excellent on customer service. I was there for my daughter's Boot Camp graduation in November, 2012 for 2 nights. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. I had to take some items to my daughter at the Chicago Midway Airport at 1:30 a.m. since she was not allowed to take her cell phone and other electronics on base. Transportation was going to be expensive for a 2 hours round trip, so Ken Hasty, the manager took me to the airport and back. He was great company. He really save my day! Hospitality was GREAT also. They offer continental breakfast which was fine with me. I highly recommend this inn & would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jean F
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had to go next door to McDonalds to buy my breakfast! Here is what the website promised-

"Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Inn the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors!"

Coffee was cold, no eggs, meat or yogurt as described above, not much of anything for that matter.

Problem with the fire alarm at 9:30 pm, all of the Waukegan Fire Department came out for this one! Nice to see how quickly they made it out even though it was only a false alarm.

I am a Gold Member and have stayed at a lot of Comfort Hotels across the country for business in the past., This hotel is not what I am used to getting at Comfort and will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
kenh777, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review. We view all reviews as an opportunuity to serve our guest better. In looking into your comments, I was able to find out that we had an extremely low occupancy that day you were here. And in order to assure top quality freshness for our breakfast items, we normally put out food by request.
We are always happy to prepare or get you any items you want, and we normally have a breakfast attendant there to assure you of that.

I will make sure however that the food levels are checked more frequently, so that even when we might have lower occupancy, that any and all guest still recieve the the same quality of breakfast. But the most important thing we want to do, is to make sure the food is hot and fresh for you. So allow me to apologize if we did not meet your expectations.

I hope if you are in the area again, you would consider giving us another chance to meet your expectations. Our goal is to get 100% satisfaction from our guest.

So thanks again for your feedback.

Ken Hasty
Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here the end of September, coming in for niece's graduation from Navy boot camp. Motel offered discounted rate for military families. Ideal location for proximity to Great Lake Naval base. Staff was friendly and received excellent service, particularly from Jeremy and the motel manager. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Only complaint was room not being made up one day because we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up while getting ready in the morning. Even though we vacated the room by 10:00 that morning the room was still not tended to.
I would stay here again but on the 2nd floor. Our first floor room was right under the stairway and we were walked on late into the evening.
Restauant, GOJO's, near by with good food; good service.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the stairway in on first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We traveled to Waukegan to see my husband graduate from boot camp. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The hotel provides a shuttle to the graduation, but it is first come first serve so if you are using it make sure you are up early. The room itslef left something to be desired. There was a large stain on the comforter, the rooms were extremely dated and the bathroom was a little dingy. I was supposed to stay here from Thursday night until Tuesday morning, I ended up leaving to another hotel on Saturday morning. After being in boot camp since July, I think that my husband wanted to be somewhere a little more homey and comfy. I think that if they keep the same staff and do some major remoldeling it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nassau, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here on Aug 2-4 for my daughters boot camp graduation. The employees were wonderful, room was clean and comfortable, location was excellent. Even though we only stayed for 2 nights, our beds made, room freshened, towels replaced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Justaguccigirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!