“Great Hidden Inn”

Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had a little trouble finding the inn (even the GPS could not locate the address), but when I entered the place, there was a really friendly staff greeting me. The place might look quaint but they are excellent on customer service. I was there for my daughter's Boot Camp graduation in November, 2012 for 2 nights. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. I had to take some items to my daughter at the Chicago Midway Airport at 1:30 a.m. since she was not allowed to take her cell phone and other electronics on base. Transportation was going to be expensive for a 2 hours round trip, so Ken Hasty, the manager took me to the airport and back. He was great company. He really save my day! Hospitality was GREAT also. They offer continental breakfast which was fine with me. I highly recommend this inn & would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jean F

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had to go next door to McDonalds to buy my breakfast! Here is what the website promised-

"Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Inn the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors!"

Coffee was cold, no eggs, meat or yogurt as described above, not much of anything for that matter.

Problem with the fire alarm at 9:30 pm, all of the Waukegan Fire Department came out for this one! Nice to see how quickly they made it out even though it was only a false alarm.

I am a Gold Member and have stayed at a lot of Comfort Hotels across the country for business in the past., This hotel is not what I am used to getting at Comfort and will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
kenh777, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for your review. We view all reviews as an opportunuity to serve our guest better. In looking into your comments, I was able to find out that we had an extremely low occupancy that day you were here. And in order to assure top quality freshness for our breakfast items, we normally put out food by request.
We are always happy to prepare or get you any items you want, and we normally have a breakfast attendant there to assure you of that.

I will make sure however that the food levels are checked more frequently, so that even when we might have lower occupancy, that any and all guest still recieve the the same quality of breakfast. But the most important thing we want to do, is to make sure the food is hot and fresh for you. So allow me to apologize if we did not meet your expectations.

I hope if you are in the area again, you would consider giving us another chance to meet your expectations. Our goal is to get 100% satisfaction from our guest.

So thanks again for your feedback.

Ken Hasty

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here the end of September, coming in for niece's graduation from Navy boot camp. Motel offered discounted rate for military families. Ideal location for proximity to Great Lake Naval base. Staff was friendly and received excellent service, particularly from Jeremy and the motel manager. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Only complaint was room not being made up one day because we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up while getting ready in the morning. Even though we vacated the room by 10:00 that morning the room was still not tended to.
I would stay here again but on the 2nd floor. Our first floor room was right under the stairway and we were walked on late into the evening.
Restauant, GOJO's, near by with good food; good service.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the stairway in on first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We traveled to Waukegan to see my husband graduate from boot camp. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The hotel provides a shuttle to the graduation, but it is first come first serve so if you are using it make sure you are up early. The room itslef left something to be desired. There was a large stain on the comforter, the rooms were extremely dated and the bathroom was a little dingy. I was supposed to stay here from Thursday night until Tuesday morning, I ended up leaving to another hotel on Saturday morning. After being in boot camp since July, I think that my husband wanted to be somewhere a little more homey and comfy. I think that if they keep the same staff and do some major remoldeling it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here on Aug 2-4 for my daughters boot camp graduation. The employees were wonderful, room was clean and comfortable, location was excellent. Even though we only stayed for 2 nights, our beds made, room freshened, towels replaced.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Justaguccigirl
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I will be the first to admit (in our party of 7) that when we pulled up i was thinking, "Are we being punk'd? This is like "Vacancy" (the Luke Wilson/Kate Beckinsale movie), you can't really see it from the main road and it did look kinda deserted BUT our minds were immediately set at ease when we walked in a met the Manager. He went above AND beyond. He helped us unload our bags (we stayed 5 nights, rented 2 rooms) and walked us to our rooms. We were ecstatic about that BUT THEN he got in the car with my husband, father-in-law, & mother-in-law and SHOWED them where the Navy grounds were (we were hear to watch my baby brother in law graduate, special warfare...we're pretty impressed so it was worth driving the 12-13 hours from Oklahoma). But how many people can say they drove to a hotel, in another state even, and the manager give them a TOUR of the city? He showed us where to eat, where to shop, everything we needed to know. We were highly impressed and very relieved... I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The housekeeping dept. cleaned our room everyday while we were sight seeing and one day we decided to stay in and we went to my in-laws room and they cleaned our room, re-stocked the towels, soap, etc...then we all came back to our room and they cleaned their room. Breakfast was fine....nothing FANCY but hey, it's a complimentary breakfast. One morning the waffle maker shorted out and the same manager came and took it to the back and it was working again w/in 5 minutes. UNFORTUNATELY there was not a swimming pool =[ BUT they made us all feel right at home!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CiCi C
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Recently we traveled to Chicago to see my Step daughters graduation from Naval Basic Training. 7 of us stayed at the Hotel here for 5 days . The remodel was nice and clean but no one made the beds or brought us fresh towels the whole time! What's up with THAT? The toilet ran over, so the towels we did have available had to be used for that... that left hand towels and wash cloths ...We woke up Sat AM to NO HOT WATER!. in the middle of the night the power had gone off and no one knew how to fix it ! Finally , by that evening it was fixed. They need to pay attention to guest needs more or clean rooms just won't have the attraction to have repeat guests! One plus was the gym ...only one person in the hotel used it while we were there.

Room Tip: HMmmm: ask for a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meandmysister
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
1 mi away
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
3 mi away
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!