“Disappointing”

Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Recently we traveled to Chicago to see my Step daughters graduation from Naval Basic Training. 7 of us stayed at the Hotel here for 5 days . The remodel was nice and clean but no one made the beds or brought us fresh towels the whole time! What's up with THAT? The toilet ran over, so the towels we did have available had to be used for that... that left hand towels and wash cloths ...We woke up Sat AM to NO HOT WATER!. in the middle of the night the power had gone off and no one knew how to fix it ! Finally , by that evening it was fixed. They need to pay attention to guest needs more or clean rooms just won't have the attraction to have repeat guests! One plus was the gym ...only one person in the hotel used it while we were there.

Room Tip: HMmmm: ask for a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meandmysister

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights during a recent Navy RTC graduation for our son.I was hesitant when we first got there because the whole place looked deserted. That feeling only lasted a few minutes. We were greeted by the hotel manager and staff. The staff were very nice and very helpful our entire stay. Our room was a standard room with 2 double beds but everything was very neat and clean. Housekeeping did a great job. The free breakfast was just "ok". This hotel offered a free shuttle service to the Navy graduations but we chose to drive our own vechile. Overall, the hotel was comfortable, clean, and near the places we needed to be. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Request corner or end room if available
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TNTraveler68
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Convenient to Recruit Training Center. Wonderful staff. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Divergw
Reviewed October 11, 2011

i was in waukegan for my nephews graduation. i was booked for the red carpet inn which was totally disgusting there were nats in the bathroom and the room smelled so bad. I called the comfort inn and they gave my sister and i 2 rooms.This hotel was a godsent the place was clean. The manager KEN HASTY was so nice . he went out of his way for us.I smoke , he did not have any smoking rooms that night but he called me the next day and gave me another room. He also gave us directions to any where we wanted to go.All the staff were accomidating. We had a great stay. I would reccomend this hotel to any military family. Thanks KEN!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Louise H
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We were in Waukegan for our sons navy graduation. We originally booked at Americas best which turned out to be the worst. Just when I thought our trip was ruined I called the comfort inn in a panic andd spoke to Paul. He held a room for us and upon arrival we were so relieved to see a clean, well taken care of lobby that had a nice clean smell to it. The manager Ken went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable, he even carried our bags for us. The place was quiet and close to the base, and very accomidating. My family will stay there again and I would definatly reccomend it to all the military families out there.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 23, 2011

we first made reservations across the highway at Quality Inn (which was totally disgusting) and this hotel was a godsend. our whole trip thus far had been a "griswold vacation" and the quality inn was the topper. comfort inn was just the place for us---it was very very clean, the rooms were nice and extremely quiet (we never heard anyone else) and the grounds were pleasant with no trash around. connected to internet very easily, breakfast was good, service was excellent, wendys was located next door for convenience. very good location to access the boot camp graduation ceremony and located by a kmart and several good places to eat. hubby had pizza delivered and loved it. our only regret was that we didnt reserve here first, but were thankful we could be accomodated at the last minute. no pool, but we didnt come to swim....everything was great and we had a nice visit. we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is the first time I have written a review. We booked this hotel before looking at previous reviews. When I read what was written I tried unsuccessfully to change to another hotel (all were booked). To my surprise and delight the hotel was very good. It was very clean and friendly with professional young men attending the front desk. Honesty might be taken a little too far. We left a tip for the maid the first day and she didn’t take it. I guess better safe than sorry. There were two small issues that I have to admit, I was looking for. A missing drain cover and I wanted more of a breakfast variety. I am sure if I had addressed these issues with management they would have been remedied. I should be clear there was a large variety of breakfast items, not just the usual pastry and coffee-oj but I am a very picky eater and I always diet and ramble on. I just want to let you know it is a great hotel and forget the bad reviews because they are not warranted.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee
4 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!