“Like a civilian BOQ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
West Virginia
“Like a civilian BOQ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

I've just returned from a trip to visit a relative graduating from Naval Basic Training at Great Lakes Naval Station. Let me begin by saying my family and I would stay at this property again. Our stay was satisfactory. Having said that, I have to add there are some caveats that might make a reader stay elsewhere. Read this review for more details, as my caveats may not apply to you or your family.

First, this is an "extended stay hotel." Those with military officer experience will recognize a hotel like this as a civilian version of Bachelor Officers' Quarters, or BOQ. Consequently, maid service happens weekly, not daily. Towels can be exchanged at the front desk, if you're so inclined. This type of inn is meant more for those on an extended corporate business stay, rather than a family vacation. Also, don't count on a spa, swimming pool, or restaurant on the property. The rooms have a two-burner cooktop, dishes, dishwasher, silverware, refrigerator, and so on. We found the kitchenette adequate for fixing snacks, sandwiches and the morning coffee. A grill is provided for summer cooking. There is a room with several treadmills and exercise bicycles, which has complimentary newspapers daily. The hotel has a convenience store near the front desk (the "Candlewood Cupboard") offering C-store items on the honor system. Alternatively, drive over to the Wal-Mart about a mile away, and stock up on those food pantry items you'd like to fix. Washers are free, but laundry detergent is $1.00/box; better to pick that up at the Wal-Mart also.

The other big caveat to me, is that families need to book the rooms with a sofabed in order to have room for kids to sleep. From what I understand, the suites without a sofabed have no room to put another bed in for kids to sleep in. One of the suites with sofabeds handled my family of four with preteen kids -- but my kids are used to sleeping together. The sofabed suite also had a CD player, and a combination VHS/DVD player connected to the TV in the room with the sofabed. DVDs and a limited selection of paperback books may be borrowed from the front desk. We did not feel cramped, and the adults could close off the bedroom door for a bit of privacy. Those with teenagers may want to consider booking two rooms. We paid $89/night for a sofabed suite, which appears to be in line for this area, that size room, and class of hotel.

We found the staff attentive, but somewhat "kicked back" and also overwhelmed, at times. This could be owing to the type of guest and guest traffic they deal with mostly: those on extended assignments for business reasons. I felt the staff were as helpful as they could be, given the situation they would sometimes find themselves in. (The toilet in our room was plugged -- something IMO newer hotels seem to have happen more often -- and the desk took two hours to find a plunger. It was fixed, though.) The desk seems to be thinly staffed.

One nice plus of this location is the free shuttle van which runs between 6:00a and 5:00p. One does have to have the initial outbound trip booked in advance, though. We took advantage of this shuttle van to travel to the base for graduation. It was a great deal less hassle than bringing a car onto the military post. A person with business (or tourism) in Chicago could take advantage of this service to get to the Metra station at Great Lakes (on the Union Pacific-North line) and avoid the hassles of driving into Chicago. The Metra commuter rail trip to Chicago takes about an hour, and currently runs a bit over $4.00 one-way. Trains run seven days a week.

Overall, I felt I got my money's worth on this stay. I would recommend this hotel for others looking for a clean, comfortable room to stay while visiting the Great Lakes Naval Station area, or the Chicago area -- as long as one remembers the caveats outlined above.

• Liked — Location, shuttle bus
  • Disliked — Overwhelmed staff
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Sam_Damon1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2006

I found the Candlewood Suites in Waukegan an odd mix of the very good and the very poor. I do not think I will stay here again.

The good: The building is newly constructed, and feels very spacious and clean. The room was large and had a window that opened, and the "full kitchen" (full size fridge, stovetop, microwave, cooking pans and pots, two sets of table settings, etc.) was nice. The bathroom LOOKS good, and the fitness room is very nice. Lots of laundry machines are available for free (though you have to buy laundry soap at a premium).

The bad: The staff is totally inattentive. I walked in with my bag at around 3:30 PM to check in, and there was a woman on the phone right in front of me who did not bother to look up. Someone else came around the back counter about two minutes after I walked in, and checked me in. The water in the sinks and shower never got hot. It was tepid and took about five minutes to get there. The information in the hotel guestbook said that newspapers were available, but they were not. The front desk was never staffed when I passed by during the day, so I was never able to find out if they could hold my bag for half a day after I checked out.

Considering the look of the building, I expected that the service and fascility would be nice. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank fenwayman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan? Share your experiences!