“Good hotel”

Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hotel is designed for people spending a number of nights, not for transients like me. there is a kitchenette with a vast refrigerator in the room, and no breakfast is served. Rooms are serviced on a weekly basis. But even for a one-night stay like mine, it is a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mojave

Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed here 4 times over 4 weeks for work. The price was reasonable and the room was clean and quiet. Each room has a kitchenette with refrigerator, 2 burner electric stove and microwave. No complimentary breakfast or restaurant on-site. However, restaurants and a WalMart with full grocery are nearby.

The best thing about this hotel is that they provide a complimentary membership to a local LA Fitness Healthclub nearby. The club is new and has all you could want and more if you are a fitness person.

Improvements that could be made at this hotel:
1. Slow wired internet. I think they are in the process of implementing wireless.
2. Outdated TV. Good selection of TV channels however the TV was old and no High Def.
3. Noisy, inefficient hair dryer. The hair dryer was old, made alot of noise and took forever to dry hair.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank tooo_many_shoes
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in June, while visiting family. I typically perfer to stay at more plush hotels and therfore, have pretty high standards. Given our budget and the price here compared to other hotels in the area, i booked this 2 star hotel with low expectations. But I was pleasently surpised, the room was very clean and decent. The bed was comfortable and shower worked great. We didnt get to try the Continental breakfast, but the frontdesk staff was friendly and we had absolutely no problems. I would say, if you are deciding between this hotel and another in its same class for a higher price, definately pick this one! It is conviently located, near highway, near Walmart and several eateries. About a 10 min drive to Gurnee Mills Mall and Six Flags.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank DG83
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This was the perfect location for access to Great lakes Naval Base. The country store was great value. Free shuttle, everyone else charges. Shuttle does need to leave earlier however. I travel all the time, this was a customer friendly and service oriented hotel and clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mascutt
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My sister and I were here for my son's Graduation from bootcamp. We booked the trip not knowing he was a Grad & Go, which means he went from graduation straight to Texas! I spoke with the attendant and was told I could NOT recieve any kind of refund for my stay! I was so dissappointed I would be stuck here w/o my son. We then went into our room which looked clean enough at first but smelled horrible! That night we heard the people above us walking around at 2 AM!! It woke us both from a dead sleep as we were exhausted from our trip from Florida. We had to lay awake and here this stomping for a good 45 minutes!!! We had to get up at 4:30am to get ready for the graduation!!! You can hear everything your neighbors that are 2 doors down are doing as well as the ones upstairs! The internet is ethernet!!! I couldn't believe this!! I asked for another ethernet cord as my sister and I both had important projects due while we were there... I was told they only had ONE access line into each room!!! I had rented a suite.. it had a seperate bedroom, living area and kitchenette so I expected to at least have 2 access points since they do not offer wireless. When I asked about wireless I was told they didn't have it because it was unsecure and unstable!! WHAT!!! What planet were these people from? When I asked for extra shampoo they were not very nice, didn't even want to "look" for any. We would have been happy with a voucher for a future stay at another Candlewood suites hotel but these people just did not care about our situation or that we were totally UNHAPPY with our stay! The halls SMELL horrible as well and there was not one person there that I would say was nice, friendly, helpful, or smart enough to let try to make this a better stay! I would NEVER send anyone here and would strongly recommend that family of military stay onbase... they will be treated much better! Oh one more thing... we had a foldaway bed and NO sheets, we called the front desk and asked if they could bring us some sheets for it, they were rude and brought then to the door and walked away!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The room was clean, the people friendly. and the price was reasonable. Had one teenage son with us and having a separate bedroom was very nice. I like having the option of eating in so having a small kitchen is nice too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I booked this hotel on a last minute decision to visit my nephew at Great Lakes Naval Base for the Thanksgiving holiday. After recieving the name of the hotel from Hotwire, I did a little research and came up with some negative reviews. I was a little concerned. The biggest complaint was the lack of customer service. I have to disagree.
After checking in in the evening and unpacking in our first room we discovered the microwave wasn't working and then the front burner of the stove. When my children realized that the tv/vcr was broken I knew I needed to face the so called "horrible" service. In the morning I went to the front desk with my list of issues. I wasn't finished when the girl behind the desk apologized for not having a maintenence guy on for Saturday. She then asked me if I would like to switch floors to an immediate available room, or if I would like to wait until housekeeping could clean one on my floor. We chose to move immediately but appreciated the offer. Within 10 minutes we were all set up in our new room.
The kitchenette is a great addition and definately saved us money on food. Everything was clean and well stocked for our stay, in both rooms. The location of the hotel was about 10 minutes from base and directly across the street from a Walmart Superstore, a McDonalds and several other restaurants. The location was great for our trip. I would stay at Candlewood Suites again. The price was great, the hotel was clean, the staff was helpful and the location was great. If I'm not paying for 5 stars, I don't expect 5 star service.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff

Been to Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan? Share your experiences!