“A little Taste of Italy”
Review of Fiamico - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 27, 2012

At the corner of Grand and Sheridan at the Gateway of the piers of Waukegan to the mighty lake Michigan is a nice little taste of Italy. A former owner of a local Italian Restaurant I can appreciate a great wine list and wonderful food and this fills all of the requirements. A warm hearth oven greets the space as you walk in. A copper top small bar is an attraction before or after your mea. I often enjoy wine and an espresso at my visit which often begins and ends at the bar. The dining atmosphere is warm and comfortable with theme music at a comfortable level. The Crotch Mahogany veneer tables are inviting and a different feel. To begin they have 4 different choices of Bruschetta which covers all the different regions of Italy. They have a great selection of Woodfire pizzas which will satisfy in taste and in size. My favorite dish is the Capellini al Pomodoro which is Imported angel hair pasta topped with Italian tomatoes marinated in an Extra Virgin Olive Oil with garlic and basil. My first visit was the classic Lasagna which is always my test for an Italian restaurant and it passed with flying colors. I always choose the marinera for it reflects the detail of the menu and it was perfect as the choice for the lasagna. The wine list is great and they have a great patio during the warm months that has a great view of the lake. Make this a stop if you are in town or is worth the drive up. Highwood and Lake Forest beware..

2  Thank Jay S

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Fiamico has a great atmosphere and serves wonderful Italian food. But the real winner is their pizza. Their pizza is homemade and wood fired! Plus, they now serve some great craft beers.

1  Thank ashelizabeth06
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a little Italian gem Waukegan, Illinois has. I have now eaten at this restaurant three times and each time it just gets better and better. From the lobster ravioli to the wood fired pizza I have not been disappointed. We just keep going back. The staff has been wonderful - it is nice to eat and not feel rushed out the door. Clean, cozy and friendly atmosphere. Give it a try - I think you will also be a pleasant surprise.

3  Thank Candy H
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Was amazed to find real Italian pizza in Waukegan. I have been to Italy and although almost impossible to recreate here in the states, Fiamico has done it just as well as some of the great New York restaurants. It's a hike for us, almost an hour, but I'll make it as often as I can.

3  Thank B_J_D_123_1
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My signature dish is Linguine con Vongole, and every time I try a new Italian restaurant, I order it (I'm still searching for one to beat the fabulous dish I stumbled upon at Beppo's in Florence). I was a bit surprised to find Fiamico served theirs with tomatoes. Not that I don't like tomatoes; they just watered down the dish. No freshly grated Parmesan, just a glass shaker on the table. The atmosphere was nice and some tables have a view overlooking the harbor.

1  Thank SanFranciscoHiker