“A Wonderful Home Away from Home”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed in this hotel a number of nights over a 3 week period while conducting business nearby. The days were long and the work situation was stressful. I selected the HI Express based on location and price. My first call was to see if there was availability that very night. I spoke with Daniel who was expremely accommodating and held a room for me for my arrival. Over the next 3 weeks, every time I entered the hotel for the evening, I was greeted by name with a smile and always asked what could be done to make my stay more comfortable. I dealt with Tony, Daniel and Ryan during my stay and all 3 of these gentlemen went out of their way to make sure that my stay was as comfortable as could be. The facility was clean and quiet and the beds and breakfast were more than adequate. What sets apart the HI Express is the quality of the staff. These young men recognized the situation and went out of their way to make my stay wonderful. Should business dictate, I will return to this facility and have recommended it to others.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank travelmom60
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2009

Dear Guest,
It truly made our day to know that our efforts were not left unnoticed. Providing a consistent positive experience is very important to us. Knowing we have impacted your stay positively encourages us to do even better, thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on our vacation to Six Flags Theme Park. When we checked in everything seemed great until we got to our room and it was the wrong type of room, the desk clerk even read back the hotel room type. We went back to notify him that it was the wrong room. We reserved a double queen suite with sleeper sofa, wet bar, and refrigerator. He told us that the only one of those left was the room right off of the lobby (they had two rooms directly off of the lobby). So we took it. Our window was right next to the enterance of the hotel and you could hear every single person coming and going. You could also hear all the people gathered in the lobby loudly talking and walking past the room. We left for most of the day to go back to the park and returned to the room to find that you could see all the lights from the parking lot shining into the room, and the "black out" curtains are fake! Only the lighter linen type curtains went over the entire window, the other one was for decoration only. As before, people still constantly walking in and out of the lobby and we could hear them right outside the window. To make matters worse, it's 11:00pm and the people above us are jumping around all night and pounding on the floor. Then of course, we find that there is no wetbar set up! The next morning was probably the worst part of our stay. Woke up to really loud music being played on their grand piano out in the lobby. Opened the curtains to find some lady staring into the window talking on her cellphone. Went to get the complimentary breakfast which was a joke. Eggs were cold and watery, juice was litterally just orange water, everything else was decent enough to eat at least. There wasn't anywere to sit in the lobby for it, so we took everything back to the room. We left for check out and told them about all the problems. We weren't offered a single thing and were hurried out of there. I wrote the hotel after receiving an email to do a survey based on my stay and suprisingly got a reply from the manager there. We were offered a percentage off our stay for that night and a percentage off our stay if we ever go there again! First of all, bad offer and second of all, we never even received it to this day and we went there in June! AWEFUL HOTEL! Never had a problem at any Holiday Inn until I stayed here.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2009

Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologize that the service we provided did not meet your exepectations. Our goal is to provide quality service consistently. Your comments provide us with valuable information so we know that we need to work on delivering better service. We have looked into the noise issue and lighting issue you brought to our attention and we will try to resolve it the best possible way we can. Thank you for the opportunity to host your stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2009

I've stayed here a couple times when visiting my husband at Great Lakes Naval Base, and I have a room booked here for the upcoming weekend. This is a new hotel, and it's VERY clean, which is my number one consideration when booking a hotel. The staff is pretty friendly. They have a hot continental breakfast. In my expereince, it includes scrambled eggs, biscuts and gravy (yum), cinnamon rolls (think store bought, def not bakery fresh), cereal, bagels/toast, bananas, coffee, juice, etc. There's probably more that I'm forgetting. The pool is kind of small, but I have yet to swim in it. They also have a whirlpool by the pool. Some of the rooms include jaccuzis (for an additional price). I stayed in one of those rooms for one of my stays, it was nice. Nothing super fancy, just a big deep tub with some jets. But those rooms cost a little extra. The beds are VERY comfortable. The TVs are flat screens. They have free wireless access, which I think all hotels should consider a requirement for guests. There was one time when it wasn't working, I just called the front desk, they reset the router and it was working a few minutes later (I have that same probably at home on occassion). As for the "thin walls" I find that it is pretty much the same as what you would find at any hotel. I could hear my neighbors TV and I think even snoring at one point, but that's what you'll find at pretty much any other hotel, so good luck avoiding that.

Nearby, there is a bowling alley, some dining options, a Wal-Mart. Guree is a few minutes away to the north.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this hotel and I'll continue to stay there when I visit my husband at Great Lakes.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank notmargaret
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2009

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive stay experience. We appreciate your business and loyalty. Our staff is committed to making your every stay a success. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we have missed any opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Brand new facility (or at least I think it was new - it looked and felt new). Extremely courteous staff during check-in and check-out. Large spacious comfortable rooms. Love the flat screen TV. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 66traveler2009
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2009

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive stay experience. We work hard to ensure that we provide the best guest service possible. We hope to see you again soon whenever you are in the Waukegan-Gurnee area.

Reviewed June 10, 2009

First of all, I was so disappointed by this experience that I intended to write about it as soon as I returned home, but I've been sick with the flu, no doubt made worse by my lack of sleep while staying at the Holiday Inn Express - Waukegan.
I stayed here because it was close to the Great Lakes Naval Facility; I was there to see my son graduate from Boot Camp. I also had business in Chicago, so it was a combination trip.
And might I add, when I complained at the Holiday Inn, I was told there was nothing they could do because I PRE-PAID through Expedia. First mistake! (If they had tried to accommodate me, this could have been turned around and I would be writing a glowing review about great service instead of this).
NEVER STAY IN ROOM 101. Even the mgr admitted it was a bad room. Adjacent to several doors (which opened and shut with LOUD clicks and slams):
>The exit door, leading to the back parking lot. It opened at shut at all hours. It didn't help that some guests set up a gas BBQ in the parking lot, so there was lots of additional activity of people going in and out to the "temporary grill".
>The door to the stairs. (Elevator was apparently "out of order" so nearly everyone had to use the stairs on my end of the bldg.)
>The door to the Work-Out room. Which doubled as a day care/kid's entertainment center I guess. Kids screaming. Mom's yelling at their kids to get off the equipment.
>The door to the pool, which was usually propped open by the guests. The echo of people playing in the indoor pool was quite loud. Even at 10:00 at night (which was midnight for me).

There were several things that were "out of order", besides the elevator. Work-out equipment. The (only) printer in the business center. (I wanted to use to to print directions.) The guest laundry? Also "out of order".

The first night I was too tired to complain or move to another room. I turned the fan on high for white noise...I slept okay.
The next night was AWFUL, but I was relieved to see the tour bus pulling out the next morning, and thought the rest of my stay would be okay. But the third night? Another tour bus (full of kids AND adults) pulled up at 7:30 or 8:00 and it was constant chaos for hours. People walking up and down the halls with cocktails, yelling at their kids and/or their friends from one end of the hallway to the other.

Other little things. No decaf or herbal tea -- I asked. Who doesn't have herbal or decaf in a motel which offers an extensive "free' breakfast?

I called the desk twice (politely) to complain about the noise and the condition of things.; the people I talked to were very nice, and AGREED that it was noisy and that a lot of things were out of order. But then again, I PRE-PAID, so I was stuck. The people at the desk were quite nice, but offered no solutions. Moving to another room might have resolved the door slamming issues, but the entire motel seemed to be over-taken by the rowdy "tour bus" guests.

In my opinion, the motel made a lot of money off of these large obnoxious groups at the expense of the quieter, more respectful guests.

The only good things I can say? The rooms were spotless. Quality house-keeping was the best part of my experience. The complimentary breakfast was well-stocked, clean, and had an impressive selection of both hot and cold items. Definitely one of the nicest breakfast rooms (decor-wise AND food-wise) that I have seen anywhere in the country.

Below it asks about:
Business Center? Yes, but one very slow computer and an "out of order" printer.
Fitness Center? Yes, but the Stairclimber was "out of order" and it was over-run with children.
Swimming Pool? Yes, but it was FULL of tour bus groups and their were piles and piles of wet towels everywhere, no matter when I considered using it. I could see excess hair floating on the surface of the pool. It looked dirty.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank BHS24
CHILR, General Manger at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2009

Dear Guest,
We apologize that your stay with us did not meet you expecations. Certainly, training and maintenance issues would be addressed, to resolve the issues you have indicated. I can assure you that prompt response and resolution is a priority for myself and the rest of our staff, we will make sure that we do better in the future. Thank you for taking the time to let us know the areas of improvement we need to work on. We hope you give us the opportunity to show our commitment to creating a positive stay experience for our guest by giving us another try when you are in the Waukgen/Gurnee area.

Reviewed May 28, 2009

My family traveled here from MA to attend my brother's Naval Graduation at Great Lakes. The hotel was a perfect spot for our large group. My parents, my two toddlers, my husband and I all stayed in a large 2 bedroom unit. There were pocket doors between the rooms which did provide some privacy for my parents. The rooms were VERY clean and comfortable. The fridge, microwave and coffee maker were very helpful to prepare snacks for the children. Although there isn't a restaurant on site, there is a complimentary HOT breakfast served every morning which was great! They even had a high chair for my daughter. I really do think the staff makes this hotel so great! Both the general manager and a gentleman named Dan (?) gave us wonderful recommendations for dining, places to entertain the kids ( We went on the Jelly Belly Tour & Navy Pier...but Six Flags is also very close) and other places of interest. I certainly recommend this hotel and their courteous and helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jessbernier2003
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2009

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Waukegan/Gurnee team's goal is to provide our guests a "home away from home" experience that would make each stay comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you for letting us know that we have succeeded in doing so for you and your family. We congratulate your graduate and we hope you come visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 27, 2009

There were four adults and 2 toddlers in our party, and we had come here for my son's graduation from Navy boot camp. The proximity to the base was very convenient, and Dan, the manager was gracious, knowledgeable, and eager to help us find our way around an unfamiliar town, for places to eat and play,

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Louise123Ma

Dear Guest,
It was such a pleasure to know that we have provided you with a positive stay experience. Our team endeavors to provide each of our guests quality guest service and accurate information to ensure that your trip is a successful one. We hope to remain your preferred hotel provider whenever you are in the Waukegan/Gurnee area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan? Share your experiences!