“Very nice hotel - great staff.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Great Lakes Navy base which is about a 10-minute ride away. No complaints at all. It is located right next to a shopping center, in a nice neighborhood. Hotel was very nice. Queen room was quite large and clean. Staff was very friendly and professional. The breakfast buffet was small but had a nice selection of food. There are lots of fast food and sit-down restaurants, as well as stores (Home Depot, Wal Mart,etc.) in the area.

I would definitely stay here again. We flew into O'Hare Airport - about a 45-minute ride to the hotel, with no traffic but traffic in Chicago can be extremely heavy at times, so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: Book early. Hotels in this area sell out quickly if there are any events going on at the navy base.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a smaller HIE but it's newer and nicely balanced. We stayed in an oversized queen room. It was probably the biggest room we have seen. Lots of space and super clean. Breakfast was nice with eggs biscuits and gravy cereal... yogert juice and the breakfast room was spacious. Front desk was friendly. We went to great America and it was an easy shot to get there. Overall architecture great place to stay highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel staff was hospitable, when I was charged in error for local calls, the staff called me immediately to explain and correct the error. Also the staff person stated she would fax me a corrected statement. My room was updated and clean and early check-in was not a problem. I would suggest more fruit for the breakfast. The location was great, easy access to shopping(walmart, eateries,bowling and Gurnee Mills, Great America)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I travel a lot for business and I've stayed at a lot of hotels.

Pros:
- This particular hotel was clean, updated and very hospitable.
- When my thermostat didn't turn on upon entering my room initially, a quick call to the front desk resulted in the front desk guy coming up within 5 minutes to fix it successfully.
- Beds were comfortable, if a bit soft but I'd rather that than too hard.
- Super close to a lot of amenities: food, shopping, bowling, etc
- Plenty of free parking.

Cons:
- Internet. Not sure what was up with it, but connecting was slow and page loads were as well. I didn't have a VPN that I needed to use but I would question the speed if that is your need.
- Shower was just fine aside from the fact that there were gaps in the materials that lined the shower (looked like granite but it wasn't) and there was no silicone in the gaps. Didn't detract from the shower but since I'm fixing up my own house I tend to notice things like this.\
- They have a biz center but the computer was painfully slow. I used it to access my work email so I could print something off. Opening Acrobat, I thought the computer would just freeze. It finally opened and I was able to print. But seeing as I needed to fax what I printed out and there was no fax, that will have to wait for my next hotel tomorrow.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Visiting my son at the Naval Base for his birthday and the place we like to stay didn't have the size room we needed available so we decided it would be nice to find a place with a hot tub to relax in after dinner and shopping in Chicago. So I called the night before to be sure they did have a hot tub. Was told they did and that the online price was better than what they could give me so I got online and booked a suite. Upon arrival the check in desk had a sign up saying the jacuzzi tub was not working. I expressed my disappointment since that is why I booked this room and the clerk (who btw was friendly) offerd to let us cancel our reservation and find someplace with a hot tub. We had just driven 6 hours and the last thing we wanted to do was drive around looking for a room so we checked in to our suite. No problems with the room, it was clean, with a microwave,mini fridge and sink area. It had 2 queen beds, which I thought were fine, and a sofa bed which according to my son was not too comfy. Bathroom was small but it was clean. Breakfast was fine, what you would expect and there was plenty. If you want a clean room close to the base this would be a fine choice.There are many nice places with suites in the area for the same price we paid though so I prob wouldn't stay here again simply because we did go down and look at the pool/ hot tub and by the looks of the water it didn't quit working overnight and since I called specifically about the hot tub I would have appreciated the courtesy of being informed that yes they had one but no it would not be available during our stay.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This was my second stay and visit to the area ( Recruit Training Command )
The location was great for us and plenty of resturants in the area. My granddaughters kids ,well adults but always your kids :) , really like the 24hr McDonalds right in front of the hotle. Price is right too if traveling on budget but dont want to stay in a slum ( like my last visit which they will never let me forget >.< See past reviews
Rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and also helped for those trying to save a little money. Indoor pool was clean and warm. Over all I would recommend this Hotel to travelers.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 5FishingStooges
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hotel is located a short distance from Great Lakes Naval Base, restaurants, major highways, shopping and shopping malls. Location is fantastic if you have business anywhere from North Chicago to Milwaukee.
We visited this location on 26, December. The hotel was basically empty. We arrived a few hours before check in, and not only was "early check in" no problem but our reservation was upgraded to a Suite because of our Priority Club status. Thank you for that Holiday Inn! If you are paying cash plan on a $100.00 hold on your card, on top of the money you are spending for the room, for incidentals. I am not sure what incidentals you can put on your room in a hotel that has no restaurant, bar, room service, shuttle service etc. I thought that was ridiculous considering the circumstances but "policy is policy".
When booking a "Suite" here please do not expect a MGM Grand Suite. The Suite gives you a love seat sized couch, an extra chair and an extra little area to accomodate the extra furnishings. The room was basically clean athough my son did find a "pony tail holder" left from a previous guest on the sheet. The bathroom was spotless and the overall cleanliness of the room and hotel was excellent in my opinion. The mattresses were incredibly worn and soft. If you need a firmer matress for comfort this was not the place to find it. That was really the only problem we had with the room furnishings.
The glaring negative in our stay was the group, or couple that was partying until 1230 in the room next door to ours. That was tolerable since this trip was a Holiday for us as well. The pounding of the headboard on our wall, from the next room at 0400, awakening all of us was really a touch that wasn't needed during this stay. I understand no hotel can figure what kind of behavior their guests are going to engage in during a stay. Considering the fact the hotel was literally 5% (maybe) occupied we could not figure out why they wouldn't put a room or two between the few guests they had on the third floor. All of the sound and noise from the room next to ours was easily heard which lends credence to the adage "paper thin walls". I was awkwardly trying to explain to my 10 year old son, the "noise" coming from the next room was from weight lifting or something.
They offer free breakfast which actually is not half bad. Eggs, sausage, a pancake making machine, biscuits and gravy,etc, were all available. One of the best free breakfasts we have run across in a hotel.
Overall this hotel is a decent value for what we paid for it (less than $100.00 for a night. I was not expecting the "Ritz". I was expecting a place to sleep close to areas we had a limited amount of time to travel to. My expectations were met but definitely not exceeded. This trip will be my only stop at this location.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Neutralatbest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan? Share your experiences!