This hotel is located a short distance from Great Lakes Naval Base, restaurants, major highways, shopping and shopping malls. Location is fantastic if you have business anywhere from North Chicago to Milwaukee.
We visited this location on 26, December. The hotel was basically empty. We arrived a few hours before check in, and not only was "early check in" no problem but our reservation was upgraded to a Suite because of our Priority Club status. Thank you for that Holiday Inn! If you are paying cash plan on a $100.00 hold on your card, on top of the money you are spending for the room, for incidentals. I am not sure what incidentals you can put on your room in a hotel that has no restaurant, bar, room service, shuttle service etc. I thought that was ridiculous considering the circumstances but "policy is policy".
When booking a "Suite" here please do not expect a MGM Grand Suite. The Suite gives you a love seat sized couch, an extra chair and an extra little area to accomodate the extra furnishings. The room was basically clean athough my son did find a "pony tail holder" left from a previous guest on the sheet. The bathroom was spotless and the overall cleanliness of the room and hotel was excellent in my opinion. The mattresses were incredibly worn and soft. If you need a firmer matress for comfort this was not the place to find it. That was really the only problem we had with the room furnishings.
The glaring negative in our stay was the group, or couple that was partying until 1230 in the room next door to ours. That was tolerable since this trip was a Holiday for us as well. The pounding of the headboard on our wall, from the next room at 0400, awakening all of us was really a touch that wasn't needed during this stay. I understand no hotel can figure what kind of behavior their guests are going to engage in during a stay. Considering the fact the hotel was literally 5% (maybe) occupied we could not figure out why they wouldn't put a room or two between the few guests they had on the third floor. All of the sound and noise from the room next to ours was easily heard which lends credence to the adage "paper thin walls". I was awkwardly trying to explain to my 10 year old son, the "noise" coming from the next room was from weight lifting or something.
They offer free breakfast which actually is not half bad. Eggs, sausage, a pancake making machine, biscuits and gravy,etc, were all available. One of the best free breakfasts we have run across in a hotel.
Overall this hotel is a decent value for what we paid for it (less than $100.00 for a night. I was not expecting the "Ritz". I was expecting a place to sleep close to areas we had a limited amount of time to travel to. My expectations were met but definitely not exceeded. This trip will be my only stop at this location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This brand new Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Waukegan, Illinois is near Six Flags Great America and Great Lakes Naval Base.Our Waukegan hotel provides premium amenities and an ideal location off I-94 near the Gurnee Mills Outlet Mall, the Greenbelt Forest Preserve and the scenic Illinois State Beach Park. Your family will enjoy a comfortable stay at our Waukegan hotel near Six Flags Great America, one of the largest theme parks in the US. Our hotel in Waukegan also offers quick access to many other area attractions, like the Rink-Side Family Entertainment Center, Russell Military Museum and the Wildlife Discovery Center. Downtown Chicago is just 45 miles from our Waukegan hotel. Business travelers looking for lodging in Waukegan will be pleased by our Waukegan, IL accommodations, located near Amhurst and North Point Industrial Park and area businesses including CDW, Abbott, Baxter, Akzo Nobel and HSBC. Take advantage of our business services, which include three large meeting rooms, catering available. 24-hour business center and free high-speed, wireless Internet access for your convenience. During your stay at our smoke-free hotel near Six Flags be sure to enjoy the indoor pool, relaxing whirlpool, 24-hour fitness center and complimentary hot breakfast bar. Check out our great Waukegan hotel room deals and start planning your trip to the Great Lakes region today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Waukegan
- Holiday Inn Express Waukegan