“Don't Expect Five Stars when you are paying for Three...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Don't Expect Five Stars when you are paying for Three...”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hotel is located a short distance from Great Lakes Naval Base, restaurants, major highways, shopping and shopping malls. Location is fantastic if you have business anywhere from North Chicago to Milwaukee.
We visited this location on 26, December. The hotel was basically empty. We arrived a few hours before check in, and not only was "early check in" no problem but our reservation was upgraded to a Suite because of our Priority Club status. Thank you for that Holiday Inn! If you are paying cash plan on a $100.00 hold on your card, on top of the money you are spending for the room, for incidentals. I am not sure what incidentals you can put on your room in a hotel that has no restaurant, bar, room service, shuttle service etc. I thought that was ridiculous considering the circumstances but "policy is policy".
When booking a "Suite" here please do not expect a MGM Grand Suite. The Suite gives you a love seat sized couch, an extra chair and an extra little area to accomodate the extra furnishings. The room was basically clean athough my son did find a "pony tail holder" left from a previous guest on the sheet. The bathroom was spotless and the overall cleanliness of the room and hotel was excellent in my opinion. The mattresses were incredibly worn and soft. If you need a firmer matress for comfort this was not the place to find it. That was really the only problem we had with the room furnishings.
The glaring negative in our stay was the group, or couple that was partying until 1230 in the room next door to ours. That was tolerable since this trip was a Holiday for us as well. The pounding of the headboard on our wall, from the next room at 0400, awakening all of us was really a touch that wasn't needed during this stay. I understand no hotel can figure what kind of behavior their guests are going to engage in during a stay. Considering the fact the hotel was literally 5% (maybe) occupied we could not figure out why they wouldn't put a room or two between the few guests they had on the third floor. All of the sound and noise from the room next to ours was easily heard which lends credence to the adage "paper thin walls". I was awkwardly trying to explain to my 10 year old son, the "noise" coming from the next room was from weight lifting or something.
They offer free breakfast which actually is not half bad. Eggs, sausage, a pancake making machine, biscuits and gravy,etc, were all available. One of the best free breakfasts we have run across in a hotel.
Overall this hotel is a decent value for what we paid for it (less than $100.00 for a night. I was not expecting the "Ritz". I was expecting a place to sleep close to areas we had a limited amount of time to travel to. My expectations were met but definitely not exceeded. This trip will be my only stop at this location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Neutralatbest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I picked this hotel because it was nearby to a job, but also because there was food and shopping very close. The hotel itself was very much up to the normal standards of Holiday Inn Express - just what I need while on a road trip.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel when I was on a business trip in June 2011. Took the wife along as well and both of us enjoyed staying at this hotel. Since I was on a business trip, we got a really good rate that was negotiated by my office. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly and breakfast was good. Although there was a gym and a swimming pool, we did not use these amenities. But the gym looked clean and had a good number of exercise machines. If I were to go back to the Waukegan area, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lji2000
Monticello, MN
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is a newer hotel and in excellent condition, very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was hot enough (I like really hot showers). The wireless worked well, but internet was overall a little slow for my tastes. The breakfast was typical for a Holiday Inn Express. The only problem with breakfast was a broken juice machine. The staff was very friendly with good local restaurant advice. I stayed in a room with a joining door to the next door room and could hear my neighbor's TV and phone conversations. Good thing he wasn't a night owl.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 16, 2011

This property was about 10 to 15 minutes away from Six Flags. They had breakfast in the morning and a VERY comfortable bed. The front desk staff and supervisor were awesome! There was a mistake in my billing and they took care of everything and gave me a discount to use on my next visit! We will be back in the summer! Very clean rooms, great shower, and nice room amenties. Good location too. It was around alot of dining places, a La Fitness, and shopping.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keinika
Seattle Washington
Reviewed January 13, 2011

My husband, brother and I stayed her one night while visiting family. All the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Hotel room was very modern and clean. We all felt very weocome and will stay again. You will not be disapointed!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Stayed here 3 nights with extended family for my son's naval graduation. Hotel was very clean, beds were comfortable and staff was extremely friendly. Breakfast was good each morning and we appreciated them having it ready early on the day of graduation. The location was great. Close to base, restuarants and shopping. I would highly recommend staying here if you are attending a naval graduation

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan? Share your experiences!