“Perfect stay, indoor pool ... For naval graduation”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Ideal location! Everything across street( Starbucks, Walmart .. Tons of eating places!)
Staff is great
Rooms are big and indoor pool a plus with kids!
Perfect hotel for naval graduation... Close to base and too
Notch at a steal of a price'
Has a bar and great breakfast buffet

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Jilltheory
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Jilltheory,
We appreciate your review and complimentary feedback from your stay with us at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. It's fantastic to hear that our great location, friendly staff, and variety of amenities perfectly suited your travels. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us for naval graduation, and we hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I used Marriott rewards points to book this stay, so I didn't have to pay any out of pocket. We stayed here the night before my brothers boot camp graduation from Great Lakes. My parents live within an hours drive from Great Lakes but since we had to be at the facility by 6;30, it was just more convenient to get a room for the night. Upon arrival the hotel was everything I wanted it to be. Well updated and very clean. I thought the separate toilet and shower rooms were very convenient especially for getting ready in the morning with 5 people in a double queen room. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to our early check in. We used their shuttle to Great Lakes in the morning so we wouldn't have to have the car searched and everything else. Everything was peachy until it was time to go to sleep. The beds in this room (406) were the most uncomfortable that I have ever slept on. This even includes stays a flea bag Motels in my younger years. Both of the queen beds dipped in the middle causing you to roll into one and other. They both also had an unbelievable creaking noise when ever someone rolled over. In short, the only person that got any sleep was the one sleeping on the couch. You come to a hotel to sleep, not for the decor. If this is the quality you're going for, I won't be coming back. This issue needs to be addressed pronto.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ferdusing
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

ferdusing,
Thank you for writing. We appreciate your feedback on both positive an opportunities for improvement. I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy the comfortable stay you deserve. I assure you we will take your comments into consideration to improve our property and overall guest experience. We value you as our guest, and do hope we'll have an opportunity to provide a more positive stay in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We traveled for the Naval Base graduation, and since these happen every Friday, the hotel is very accommodating: military graduation discount, affordable shuttle transportation, and early breakfast. The staff was very friendly, especially the bartender, who was gracious when we arrived late and tired Thursday night. The décor is beautiful, the room very pretty and comfortable.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice with a little extra room with the couch and desk.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GreenFamily777
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

GreenFamily777,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience with us at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while attending the Naval Base graduation, and we're glad our friendly staff, comfortable accommodations, and complimentary services added value and convenience to your stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I wished I had read customer reviews prior to making reservations. I chose this hotel because of Marriott's reputation of great service,clean rooms, and convenient location to Great Lakes. However, we were very disappointed with our stay this past weekend at Springhill suites-Waukegan. Once we stepped off the elevator on the 2nd floor, there was an awful,nauseating smell. Not sure how to describe it but I believe the carpet needs to be replaced. Once we arrived in our room the smell continued so I do believe the carpet needs to be replaced. The bed linen had hair on it and was dirty-I bought fitted sheet,pillow case, flat sheet from Target for us to sleep on. There was an access panel above the shower dripping ice cold water...probably from AC unit. There was different stages of mold in the shower. Management needs to see this rm.213. So glad we were there for one night. Awful...certainly not worth the money. Will not be back. Disappointed from Georgia.

Room Tip: Stay away from rm 213
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tee T
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Tee T,
Thank you for sharing feedback and for bringing these concerns to my attention. I am very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. I sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service as this is definitely not up to our high quality standards. I can assure you this has been addressed and we will make improvements for a more positive experience. Your feedback is important to us and we are again very sorry for your unhappiness with your stay. We hope to have an opportunity to make amends and provide you with a more positive stay in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here 4 1/2 years ago when another son graduated from boot camp and it was perfectly fine. I don't think they've done a thing to the place since then and we were hugely disappointed. I chose this hotel based on Four criteria: Reviews, Previous visit, Marriott name, proximity to the naval base for boot camp graduation. Marriott should be ashamed to have their name on this hotel. The staff is friendly. (I think almost everyone we met in Chicago was friendly.) But I have to blame the management for allowing the property to get like this. The hotel is supposed to be non-smoking. The first room we were given shared a wall with the elevator and reeked of smoke. My husband and I started to unpack and settle in, convincing ourselves it was no big deal. Then we asked each other if we could tolerate two nights here and headed to the front desk. We hated to be a pain, but the person at the desk seemed aware that the elevator had a noise issue and quickly offered us a different room. They also said when they were finished with the air cleaner in another room, they would move it to this one. The no smoking policy appears to be an issue. Our new room was not wonderful. It was mildly dirty. The shower had a peeling ceiling. The extra shower jets were nice but the shower door was not designed for this and leaked a lot. The separate toilet area had a sliding door and it was very dirty along the floor. Little things like two conditioners but no shampoo were just mild inconveniences. The towels were stiff and low quality...not what I'd expect of a Marriott. The hotel was noisy. Lots of doors slamming all night. The exercise room was cardio equipment. It was actually well kept. Breakfast was average. Our big issue came when we turned down the covers of our bed. We'd gone out to dinner, came back and showered...and when I turned down the covers, there was blood on the top AND bottom sheet. Definitely not Marriott quality. We were so tired of traveling and making a fuss that my husband just went down to the desk for new sheets and we made the bed. We put up a sign for no maid service the next day, figuring we'd rather live with the bed we knew we made. When we checked out, we were charged full price. There was no note of apology for our inconvenience. I could not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not near the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bbarn
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

bbarn,
Thank you for writing. It's unfortunate to hear that we were unable to provide the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. This is definitely not up to our high standards, and we sincerely apologize for the areas that we failed to meet your expectations. I appreciate you bringing these concerns to my attention as guest satisfactions is our number one priority. Your review has been addressed with our staff and improvements will be made for a more positive experience. We value you as our guest and we do hope you'll give us an opportunity to make amends the next time you travel to Chicago. Thank you.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are great, breakfast was good, comfortable beds, quiet, close to base and Walmart, highly recommended, we we're here for sons graduation and they were very accommodating and made sure our stay was pleasant and I would definitely return

Stayed: October 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Roger T,
Thank you for your great review and feedback from your experience at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. We're glad you enjoyed a quiet stay and found our comfortable accommodations well suited for your visit while attending your son's graduation. We appreciate your recommendations of our great hotel and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hotel itself was great. Maids were awesome..very helpful and kind, though could use a crash course in English. Everything clean, new, and we had a great breakfast! My only concern was when I booked the hotel. When I first called the hotel directly, I was told I was given a special "navy graduation" rate. About a week later I found the same room on a discount web site. I called back to see if Marriot would match the rate. I was told to "go ahead and book with them"! I would think Marriot would want the business through them and only upon searching myself did I find a phone no. to call for your rate guarantee. I filled out the online app. but since it had been over 24 hours the rate was matched but no 25 percent additional off - that's okay. Upon my arrival, I was informed the navy grad. rate was even lower than I was quoted. Makes me a little leary that the pricing can change so much! Even when I called for the rate guarantee I was told it was up to who reviews my app. whether or not I would get an additional percentage off - some would let it slide! I am visiting Chicago in the early Spring and thinking it is better to wait until the last minute to book anywhere. Other than that, you have a great hotel!

Room Tip: double queen suite is roomy and 2 sinks are great to have. Also separation of shower and toilet is w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Georgette S,
Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our clean accommodations and value added amenities to meet your satisfaction. Your feedback is important to us, and I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you encountered with the pricing discrepancies in reserving your room. I assure you that I have addressed this issue with our staff in order to provide a more positive experience and consistency in service. We value you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again the next time you visit Chicago. Thank you again.

Adam Lopez, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!