“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Columbus, Georgia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I wished I had read customer reviews prior to making reservations. I chose this hotel because of Marriott's reputation of great service,clean rooms, and convenient location to Great Lakes. However, we were very disappointed with our stay this past weekend at Springhill suites-Waukegan. Once we stepped off the elevator on the 2nd floor, there was an awful,nauseating smell. Not sure how to describe it but I believe the carpet needs to be replaced. Once we arrived in our room the smell continued so I do believe the carpet needs to be replaced. The bed linen had hair on it and was dirty-I bought fitted sheet,pillow case, flat sheet from Target for us to sleep on. There was an access panel above the shower dripping ice cold water...probably from AC unit. There was different stages of mold in the shower. Management needs to see this rm.213. So glad we were there for one night. Awful...certainly not worth the money. Will not be back. Disappointed from Georgia.

Room Tip: Stay away from rm 213
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tee T
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Tee T,
Thank you for sharing feedback and for bringing these concerns to my attention. I am very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. I sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service as this is definitely not up to our high quality standards. I can assure you this has been addressed and we will make improvements for a more positive experience. Your feedback is important to us and we are again very sorry for your unhappiness with your stay. We hope to have an opportunity to make amends and provide you with a more positive stay in the future. Thank you again.

Adam Lopez, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Castle, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here 4 1/2 years ago when another son graduated from boot camp and it was perfectly fine. I don't think they've done a thing to the place since then and we were hugely disappointed. I chose this hotel based on Four criteria: Reviews, Previous visit, Marriott name, proximity to the naval base for boot camp graduation. Marriott should be ashamed to have their name on this hotel. The staff is friendly. (I think almost everyone we met in Chicago was friendly.) But I have to blame the management for allowing the property to get like this. The hotel is supposed to be non-smoking. The first room we were given shared a wall with the elevator and reeked of smoke. My husband and I started to unpack and settle in, convincing ourselves it was no big deal. Then we asked each other if we could tolerate two nights here and headed to the front desk. We hated to be a pain, but the person at the desk seemed aware that the elevator had a noise issue and quickly offered us a different room. They also said when they were finished with the air cleaner in another room, they would move it to this one. The no smoking policy appears to be an issue. Our new room was not wonderful. It was mildly dirty. The shower had a peeling ceiling. The extra shower jets were nice but the shower door was not designed for this and leaked a lot. The separate toilet area had a sliding door and it was very dirty along the floor. Little things like two conditioners but no shampoo were just mild inconveniences. The towels were stiff and low quality...not what I'd expect of a Marriott. The hotel was noisy. Lots of doors slamming all night. The exercise room was cardio equipment. It was actually well kept. Breakfast was average. Our big issue came when we turned down the covers of our bed. We'd gone out to dinner, came back and showered...and when I turned down the covers, there was blood on the top AND bottom sheet. Definitely not Marriott quality. We were so tired of traveling and making a fuss that my husband just went down to the desk for new sheets and we made the bed. We put up a sign for no maid service the next day, figuring we'd rather live with the bed we knew we made. When we checked out, we were charged full price. There was no note of apology for our inconvenience. I could not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not near the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bbarn
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
bbarn,
Thank you for writing. It's unfortunate to hear that we were unable to provide the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. This is definitely not up to our high standards, and we sincerely apologize for the areas that we failed to meet your expectations. I appreciate you bringing these concerns to my attention as guest satisfactions is our number one priority. Your review has been addressed with our staff and improvements will be made for a more positive experience. We value you as our guest and we do hope you'll give us an opportunity to make amends the next time you travel to Chicago. Thank you.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are great, breakfast was good, comfortable beds, quiet, close to base and Walmart, highly recommended, we we're here for sons graduation and they were very accommodating and made sure our stay was pleasant and I would definitely return

Stayed October 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Roger T,
Thank you for your great review and feedback from your experience at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. We're glad you enjoyed a quiet stay and found our comfortable accommodations well suited for your visit while attending your son's graduation. We appreciate your recommendations of our great hotel and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hotel itself was great. Maids were awesome..very helpful and kind, though could use a crash course in English. Everything clean, new, and we had a great breakfast! My only concern was when I booked the hotel. When I first called the hotel directly, I was told I was given a special "navy graduation" rate. About a week later I found the same room on a discount web site. I called back to see if Marriot would match the rate. I was told to "go ahead and book with them"! I would think Marriot would want the business through them and only upon searching myself did I find a phone no. to call for your rate guarantee. I filled out the online app. but since it had been over 24 hours the rate was matched but no 25 percent additional off - that's okay. Upon my arrival, I was informed the navy grad. rate was even lower than I was quoted. Makes me a little leary that the pricing can change so much! Even when I called for the rate guarantee I was told it was up to who reviews my app. whether or not I would get an additional percentage off - some would let it slide! I am visiting Chicago in the early Spring and thinking it is better to wait until the last minute to book anywhere. Other than that, you have a great hotel!

Room Tip: double queen suite is roomy and 2 sinks are great to have. Also separation of shower and toilet is w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Georgette S,
Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at SpringHill Suites Waukegan. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our clean accommodations and value added amenities to meet your satisfaction. Your feedback is important to us, and I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you encountered with the pricing discrepancies in reserving your room. I assure you that I have addressed this issue with our staff in order to provide a more positive experience and consistency in service. We value you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again the next time you visit Chicago. Thank you again.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel overall us gorgeous. Soothing colors, nicely appointed. Check in was smooth and the staff was nice. The rooms are very smartly laid out. We stayed as 2 adults with one child in a king suite. Perfect for our little one to head to bed earlier than us. The pullout bed is in its own part of the room, and the light from the tv didn't wake him. The king bed was very comfortable.

Now to the details. When we pulled put the hideaway bed, there were tons of crumbs and a large spill on the bed sheets, so I'm assuming housekeeping didn't change these after their last use. Gross. We found replacements in the closet thankfully.

Breakfast. I don't expect much from hotels with free breakfast. However, at 7:30 am on a Saturday, there was no juice, milk, waffles, or bagels. The countertop looked as if it hadn't been cleaned all morning. And we were in the breakfast area for 15 mins before we saw a staff member. When I asked if they had any milk, she seemed pretty put out by my request.

Based on those experiences, we won't be back. Because family lives in the area, we travel here often; we'll choose a different marriott site next time.

• Stayed September 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
KristyS,
Thank you for writing. We appreciate you brining these items of concern to our attention, and we sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. This is definitely not up to our standards and we would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. Your valuable feedback is important to us as we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. We will make improvements for a more positive experience, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again the next time you travel to Waukegan. Thank you again for writing.

Adam Lopez, General Manger
Beloit, Wisconsin, Usa
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Decent price for a nice but not too large hotel not far at all from Six Flags and Gurnee Mills, which are fairly easy to get to from the hotel and were visible out my room window. Very clean and newer. Nice looking place. Quiet except for ten minutes or so of a wedding party Saturday night which woke me up at 1:38a. Lobby quadruples+ as meeting area, breakfast eating area, computer area, and small bar area (in back), but it works out pretty well. Good breakfast with plenty of options, hot and cold. Great staff and wonderful house keeping, although one of them may have had half a bottle of water from my little in room refrigerator. Not enough shampoo at first, but was given plenty upon request. Paul Mitchell hair and body products. Very decent citrus soap. If you want to swim or let your children, this hotel has an unfortunately cold and small pool, and, the worst part: NO hot tub. We got an executive suite on the top floor (5) with two queen beds. Not bad for hotel beds. Nice room all in all. Best part: Particularly liked that the toilet and shower occupied two different rooms with a closet between them. I absolutely hate it when I'm drying myself off after a shower and my towel accidentally rubs the toilet :( Advertisements for rooms online need to be updated. Even my 11 year old daughter noticed that the water provided in our suite was not Fiji, as was claimed. Also, never saw the daily newspaper or was told about the supposed market credit, which I never used because we ate out except for breakfast (no on site or adjoined restaurant). A lot of entertainment in the area and other stores nearby in case you forget anything. Excellent free parking on all sides of building so you can park near the door closest to the elevator if you choose. All in all, a great value!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Gregory M,
Thanks so much for your review and recommendation! We appreciate hearing from you and taking the time to share your comments. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. Your business is important to us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Best regards,
Freedom, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The decorating and furnishings at this hotel are very modern. I loved the divider between the desk and the bed. It could be opened and you could see through, or it could be closed so the light was diffused so your partner could sleep.

Separate toilet and shower rooms with a sink in each are also a nice touch! Shower jets were nice too!

Staff was very accommodating and helpful with local area directions.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tap0629,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel and for recommending us. I will pass along all of your comments to our team during our next weekly meeting. We look forward to seeing you again!
Thanks again,
Adam Lopez, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Candlewood Suites Chicago Waukegan
Residence Inn Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

Been to SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!