“Unique experience!”
other traveler has booked this property
BEDROOM BEDROOM
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
EXTERIOR
KITCHEN
LIVING ROOM
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

kevin d
Southport, United Kingdom
“Unique experience!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 for a stay in April 2013

Never stayed in a place without the use of a key!
The kitchen/living area is completely open on one side- at first it seemed a bit strange, but we soon got used to it! The bathroom also is open, so you can shower etc & watch the nature around you- plenty of humming birds hoover around whilst you are busy!
We saw monkeys and toucans in the large gardens which surrond the property and plenty of other wildlife too.
It's located about 800 metres up a steep dirt track- the owner lives in the adjacent property (about 100 metres away but you are completely private). There is a key coded entry to the properties.
If you dont like bugs or the fact that the property is open, then this isnt the place for you.....however if you want an experience that you've probably never had before then this is definitely the place to stay!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: different to anywhere else
Liked least: fighting insects
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Oregon
Reviewed November 25, 2012 for a stay in March 2011

A romantic getaway
Management Response
Nov 25, 2012
Can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Emmanuelle.
Joyce B
Orlando, Florida
“Loved our vacation, but cannot completely agree with other reviewers.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 for a stay in October 2012

My husband and I recently returned from Villa Toucan. Our daughter and son-in-law joined us on the second evening of our eight day stay. The house was beautifully situated with abundant wildlife in every direction. We saw both howler and spider monkeys, toucans, aracari, red and black/green poison dart frogs, aguti, tarantulas, orb weavers, etc. at the house. One night we left bananas on the counter of the open kitchen and awoke to only peels on the floor...lucky monkeys! Another morning an aracari flew into the glass and sat in the sink quite stunned. Then he recovered and flew off. Another small yellow bird wasn't so lucky. We spent most of the week hiking, stand-up paddling, and photographing wildlife. After reading about the kindness of the owners, I feel I should mention our experience. Manuel was gone for the week, so we didn't have a chance to meet him. I e-mailed Emanuelle a week prior to our arrival to let her know we would arrive Saturday mid afternoon. Her reply was, "As I have no one before you you can check in as early as you want [lets say after 8AM] For the activities we can speak about them once you arrive and can help you to book." We arrived as planned (around 2 PM) and nobody was in sight. We walked to their house nearby, but only the dogs were there. We unloaded our bags and went to the beach for awhile. When we returned, Emanuelle seemed surprised we were there. She said she hadn't expected us until evening. She told us her husband was away for the week and gave us a gate opener as she wanted the security gate closed. Having just arrived, this made me a little uneasy. The next day (Sunday) Emanuelle came up and told us there was some suspicious activity during the night, noting that her dogs had a different kind of bark. She went on to say that if it happens again, she will shoot a warning shot with her 38 caliber gun. That was the last time we saw her the entire week. She made no attempt to meet our daughter and son-in-law, and we really didn't feel the warm welcome and helpfulness many others commented on. The house itself was nice, but in need of some repairs. The closet door didn't close, the bathroom door latch was loose, nothing big...just a bit tired. We found everyone else in the area to be very friendly. There was a real sense of respect for the environment. Many travel sites referred to the Caribbean side as full of crime and drugs. We have been all over Costa Rica and felt as safe there as anywhere else. All in all we had a wonderful week.

Liked best: Wildlife
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Management Response
Oct 17, 2012
Mrs Blick,
After your first email, my impression was that you were going to arrive the morning. It was a very sunny day and I left with my 6 years old to the beach. My employees were on site but they apparently left while you arrived, but were there when we came back from the beach I was surprised because they didn't tell me that you were there and I usually greet my guests right away.
We live in the middle of the jungle and we have a gate, it is rue that when I am alone there with a little girl,
i prefer the gate to be closed and asked you to do so. I do not have a 38 but a "noise gun" as if my dogs frantically barg it doesn't mean that we have intruders, it can be wild animals and I do not like when they barg because they disturb our guests.
For your son in law and your daughter, I propose to go and pick them up, you told me you were all set.
We are not intrusive lanslord and I let you know as I said to all our guest that my house is 50 meters away and you are more welcome to pass by and have have a glass, a chat with us at anytime.
I am sorry you thought I was not welcoming but it is more discretion than anything else. I saw that you enjoyed your stay in the caribbean and that what count.
Pura vida .

Emmanuelle.

for your
Courtenay...
Matawan, New Jersey
“Unbelievable!! A wonderful experience!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Villa Toucan during the 1st week of September. We didn't really know what to expect but all of the reviews seem to be great so we went. We had a wonderful time here! Villa Toucan was clean, and the views were incredible. I brought a book with me to catch up on reading, but never read. I was too distracted by the monkeys, toucans, hummingbirds, all of the wildlife right in our own very backyard! The whole house is open, with the exception of the bedrooms which you can close shut. If you close the doors at night, no bugs will come in so don't worry! You wake up to Howler Monkeys which is amazing. The bathrooms were so cool! They are outside, but facing the jungle and very private. I loved it and now I prefer it this way!! There are tons of beaches (gorgeous beaches, incredible) and places to eat/shop nearby. You do need a car as the villa is located up a large hill and the towns are spread apart. Villa toucan was very safe/remote. The owner, Emmanuelle and her daughter were SO NICE and extremely helpful. If you need anything, Emanuelle is there. Fresh eggs from her chickens, yoga classes (which we attended one w/ her at Treehouse Yoga down the road, AMAZING!), dinner suggestions etc...whatever it is, she is very accomodating and ready to help. Again, the Villa was very private so you don't feel like anyone is on top of you or even checking in...Oh - and we also had a cleaning service come a couple of days as well. Fantastic! We learned a lot about nature, wildlife, and just life itself being out here in Costa Rica. It was definitely an adventure, we saw things we never dreamed of, and all in all it was an increbible journey off the beaten path....I would highly recommend Villa Toucan in Punta Uva if you are looking for an experience like this one!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Living in the jungle and waking up to the Howler Monkeys
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Families with young children
Raphaele...
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“most fabulous place on earth”
Reviewed August 16, 2012 for a stay in August 2012
person found this review helpful

We absolutely loved our stay in Villa Toucan. We were woken each morning by the roar of the howler monkeys and treated to a bird show every afternoon as we watched the toucans flying by right in front of our porch. The windows and doors are all well screened, so we didn't have any bugs in our rooms, yet we were still able to see very interesting creatures like grasshoppers and walking sticks all around the property. The girls were able to eat fresh eggs from the chickens and we had filtered water in the kitchen. Although we did walk to the beach once, it's preferable to rent a car if staying here as it's faster to get to the beach that way. Oh, and even in the middle of the jungle, there was excellent wifi so we were able to skype with family back home! We love staying here, we will be back next year!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the views and wildlife
Traveling group: Teenagers

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
East Sussex
Reviewed May 30, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing