“EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2017

Very racist experience! We sat there for two hours and were never served. Received our drinks and an appetizer, but never dinner. Were sat all the way in back. AND, witnessed others who arrived with us EAT AND LEAVE, while our food was "never ready". EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

Reviewed February 1, 2017

Disappointed in this place....wanted to go to Roemertopf in Mascoutah, but they weren't open until 5...so we drove here. Never again. Bland. Meh. I almost cried when I took my first bite of the Jaegerschnitzel....NOTHING compared to Roemertopf. Don't agree> Go to Roemertopf and try their version of whatever you had here....you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed January 26, 2017

I love German food so when hubby saw the Groupon, he bought it with me in mind. We drove to tiny Fosters Pond and entered in the back door. Waited several minutes. No one came so we made our way to the dining room and were invited to take a seat. The decor is very overdone. Lots of German/Bavaria style items and many items that are not even close to being representative of Germany (Chinese stands, pots, Americana -clocks, lighting, etc.) There is so much "stuff" the quaintness of what could be a dreamland palace has long been buried in too much clutter.

The menu was German. We were offered the soup and salad bar with our order and were told some delicious soup would be ready very soon. It was already 1:30. We went to the salad bar which consisted of about 8 items, cottage cheese, beets, stewed tomatoes, cabbage, three bean salad, and a few other items. No lettuce, no items to actually make a salad. No soup.

We ordered sausage platters with sauerkraut, potato pancake, and applesauce. Very good. Applesauce was like it was from a package. But the rest tasted just like I have eaten in Germany many times. When finished we looked to see if the delicious soup was ready at the salad bar yet. Nope.

The waiter was very attentive and offered us drinks to go. So service was good. Not sure it was worth the drive, but if you happen to live in the area, it might be ok. It was a little pricey for what you get, and the atmosphere needed some updating/cleanup/freshening.

Reviewed January 21, 2017

Well, I don't have German in-laws or family recently enough immigrated to know what good German food "ought" to be. I do know that my wife and I both enjoyed our meals which were a welcomed break from what chain restaurants and trendy places offer. It was nice to enjoy something different and unique in a historic place with atmosphere.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

Let me start by saying if you make snap judgements about a restaurant by looking around the dining room, don't come to Dreamland Palace without leaving your judgement hat in the car! The decor in this place is flea market vs. yard sale vs. your grandma's attic! Tacky comes to mind, along with dusty and the latter doesn't really belong close to food that Is being cooked in an area I can't see but which I imagine is equally dusty. Aside from the decor, stay away from the salad bar. It's not even located in the dining room, but down a hallway by the cashier and in the midst of the gift shop/museum. It consists of a bunch of pickled veggies, cottage cheese and lukewarm soup. We passed on it even though it came with dinner. Before getting to the food, I will say that the owner of the place stopped at our table to chat after we ordered our appetizer and he didn't leave until the appetizer (which had been delivered to the table while he was talking) was cold! We finally began eating it while he stood there yapping (he WAS friendly and interesting to talk to but we were there to eat...not make small talk!). We wanted German food and that's what we ordered. I got the Sauerbraten and my husband got the Weinerschnitzel (breaded veal with fried egg on top). Both entries came with potato pancakes, applesauce and red cabbage. We both agreed that the entrees were ok, but the red cabbage was so strongly flavored with cloves that you couldn't taste anything else...I normally love red cabbage and was very disappointed with this. My husband ate his but agreed that the cloves were overbearing. We had a difference of opinion about the potato pancakes. They are served paper thin with a tiny plastic cup of applesauce which is brought out sitting ON TOP of the potato pancakes which you are going to EAT! Sorry...I'm not a fan of having serving dishes placed ON my food...bring those out on a tray and sit them down NEXT to my dinner plate! The red cabbage is served the same way...on TOP of food on your plate! My husband likes thin potato pancakes but these were so thin they would have been tasteless without the applesauce to eat with them. All in all, we were just ok with our visit to Dreamland Palace...I can't say we will be in a hurry to get back there. It's rather charming in a kinda creepy way, but the food (at least the 2 entrees we tried) was just marginal. The cluttered, dusty atmosphere is fine if you're interested in old, German themed collectibles but they need to hire a staff to keep them dust-free and clean...dust bunnies just aren't appetizing! In a year or 2, we may try this place again. At our age, memories fade and we may even forget we weren't all that impressed this time!