“Enjoyed the food and the atmosphere”

Dreamland Palace in Foster Pond
Ranked #18 of 42 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2017

Well, I don't have German in-laws or family recently enough immigrated to know what good German food "ought" to be. I do know that my wife and I both enjoyed our meals which were a welcomed break from what chain restaurants and trendy places offer. It was nice to enjoy something different and unique in a historic place with atmosphere.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

Let me start by saying if you make snap judgements about a restaurant by looking around the dining room, don't come to Dreamland Palace without leaving your judgement hat in the car! The decor in this place is flea market vs. yard sale vs. your grandma's attic! Tacky comes to mind, along with dusty and the latter doesn't really belong close to food that Is being cooked in an area I can't see but which I imagine is equally dusty. Aside from the decor, stay away from the salad bar. It's not even located in the dining room, but down a hallway by the cashier and in the midst of the gift shop/museum. It consists of a bunch of pickled veggies, cottage cheese and lukewarm soup. We passed on it even though it came with dinner. Before getting to the food, I will say that the owner of the place stopped at our table to chat after we ordered our appetizer and he didn't leave until the appetizer (which had been delivered to the table while he was talking) was cold! We finally began eating it while he stood there yapping (he WAS friendly and interesting to talk to but we were there to eat...not make small talk!). We wanted German food and that's what we ordered. I got the Sauerbraten and my husband got the Weinerschnitzel (breaded veal with fried egg on top). Both entries came with potato pancakes, applesauce and red cabbage. We both agreed that the entrees were ok, but the red cabbage was so strongly flavored with cloves that you couldn't taste anything else...I normally love red cabbage and was very disappointed with this. My husband ate his but agreed that the cloves were overbearing. We had a difference of opinion about the potato pancakes. They are served paper thin with a tiny plastic cup of applesauce which is brought out sitting ON TOP of the potato pancakes which you are going to EAT! Sorry...I'm not a fan of having serving dishes placed ON my food...bring those out on a tray and sit them down NEXT to my dinner plate! The red cabbage is served the same way...on TOP of food on your plate! My husband likes thin potato pancakes but these were so thin they would have been tasteless without the applesauce to eat with them. All in all, we were just ok with our visit to Dreamland Palace...I can't say we will be in a hurry to get back there. It's rather charming in a kinda creepy way, but the food (at least the 2 entrees we tried) was just marginal. The cluttered, dusty atmosphere is fine if you're interested in old, German themed collectibles but they need to hire a staff to keep them dust-free and clean...dust bunnies just aren't appetizing! In a year or 2, we may try this place again. At our age, memories fade and we may even forget we weren't all that impressed this time!

Reviewed November 12, 2016

We took my parents for authentic German food. The selection is impressive; it was hard to choose which schnitzel to get. I found the Alpine Schnitzel to be very good, but the spaetzle didn't come near my mom's homemade spaetzle. The salad bar was a bit lackluster, but the soup was tasty. My husband wasn't impressed with his selection at all, and he found the sides to be lacking (two spoonfuls of applesauce in a tiny dish). Tasty food... Not bad for the location... Not sure if we'll go back...

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

I've been twice now and it's fantastic. It is authentic German and I love all the little kitch decorations. If you are looking for a great sundown dinner location, the dining room faces west and is stunning. I hate chains and unique places like this need to be treasured. Great Harley stop or family dinner location. The Ripchen was excellent.

Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

Riding the Harley along RT 156 , we seen a German restaurant sign.. Noticed it was lunch time we turned around.

So glad we did! The history of this place alone is worth a peek. It was was a stagecoach stop..

We had a friendly conversation with the owner and to our surprise he brought us out a complimentary order of potatoes pancakes. DELICIOUS.. Served with applesauce.

Dreamland Platter was delicious and the Bratzel was out of this world!

Please stop in and enjoy some delicious authentic German food... Must try to potato pancakes! I am a new fan.