“Expected more from a Marriott ..”

Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Warrenville
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If I was not told about the recent multi million dollar renovation, I sure wouldn't be able to tell. The place was clean but the room furnishings and coloring seemed dated and dark. On an extended stay hotel like this especially a Marriott Residence Inn, I do expect easy access to the front lobby, a nice decent full breakfast bar and exhaust fan in the bathroom. They must've somehow forgot to upgrade the entrance and bath since the front door is so tiny that coming in or out is difficult especially with luggage nor is there an easy way to just park at the curb and wheel the belongings in using a hotel luggage cart because you can't with the raised curb and steps nor is there a place to unload conveniently. Breakfast selection seemed OK but the bar closes at 9am so residents who have say early medical appointments at the nearby cancer clinic won't be able to make it back in time for a late breakfast (across the street at the Hyatt, the breakfast bar is open till 10am). I was stunned that there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. On an extended hotel, that should be a must. They do furnish courtesy vans to take residents to nearby places within 5 mile radius. However, their operating hours are very limited and nothing on weekends. They do have complimentary social hours on weeknights but the selection is pretty poor as compared to the Hyatts across the street. The staff at this hotel were nice, friendly and very helpful. If you don't mind a tiny entrance with no way to unload your luggage conveniently and a darker room with dated furnishings, this place should be OK to stay. If you want something better than what I had described above, then choose the two Hyatts across the street. If you are patient with the cancer clinics nearby with a long term treatment schedule, you should choose other facilities like the Hyatt than this one.

Room Tip: Tour the facility first as well as other hotels in the area before deciding especially on a longer t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Christina S, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

YWW168:
Thank you for taking the time to review your past stay at the Residence Inn Warrenville. I am disappointed to read your dissatisfaction with the hotel furnishings and decor, though I am pleased to see the hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and you were satisfied with the level of cleanliness we maintain. I will share the feedback regarding the building's features that were an inconvenience to you. We are always looking to improve our team and our product, therefore guest feedback is much appreciated. Thank you again, take good care.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. We were with two children and they too had a great time. The room was much nicer than others in the area, with a completely separate bedroom. Others have a partial wall dividing the living and bed rooms. The kitchen had a stove top, full sized refrigerator and microwave. While I didn't need those things, I am sure they are great for people staying longer term. The nice touches were the microwave popcorn in the room, the full sized coffee maker and four bags of coffee. Most times I have to find housekeeping and ask for additional coffee. The pool and sauna area fit the bill for our kids and there was plenty of seating and towels. I found the staff to be very friendly and they went out of their way to chat with the kids and ask if they were having fun. Breakfast was a full selection of both hot and cold items. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a stay end on bad terms at a nearby property. At the suggestion of an employee, we headed across the street to voew this property. It was for amuch smaller room, but with no option and a deceht rate we decided tht we wiuld in fact go ahead and move. We sat down with the manager, Dana Plug and explained our current situation. Shesaid that she understood why we were moving qnd that se would be happy tp have us. After discussing placing a hold on the room until we could officially talk it ove as a family, we left. The following day when we went to make the resrvation, the director of sales told us that no hold had been placedand due to FEMA and thetornados, we no longer had a room. While I do sympathise with th victims, I to needed a room. After letting u now that the sister property did not have any vacancies and they could do nothing for us, we left. Ms. Plug called us back to let us now that FEMA hadbtaken the rooms and that se too, could do nothing. She explained that she had worked under the management that we were xurrently dealing with and she understood undr plight. After being very upset that we could not stay, we started calling around and found out that thy did indeed have the rooms that we had orignally wanted. We went ahead and called and the man at the front desk toldbus that soetimes thy had cancellations but that they would not be able to have us anyway. I can not say what made them decided that a guest who had just spent over $30,000 at a competitor in the area was not a suitable guest but at least the management could not have strung us along and simply been upfront in the desire to not catr to us so that we could have found altrnate accomadations. This has left us with no desire to stay at any Residence Inn, or any Marriott at all for that matter.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Kim J.:
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your previous experience at the Residence Inn Warrenville. I apologize we were unable to accommodate your reservation request as we were at full occupancy over your requested reservation dates. Though we are a very high occupancy hotel, we try our best to accommodate all reservation requests as we value all guests and appreciate your interest in our hotel. In the future, my recommendation would be to try and make reservations well in advance to ensure availability as we invite you to stay with us when visiting the Warrenville/Naperville area next. Thank you, take good care.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here every week on business for a year, and this is a great place to stay. The rooms are clean and well maintained, and the staff is always willing to help out. They have hot breakfast every day that changes daily and a happy hour with free beer and wine and a rotating menu. The pool and hot tub area are clean and inviting, and the exercise room has everything you need for a great workout. It's located on a quiet street and you can take a nice well-lighted run around the walking trail in the evening to decompress (It's a little over a mile.) There are plenty of unique non-chain but reasonably priced restaurants nearby and the front desk. There are also standard sandwich shops and fast food too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I really like Residence Inns and this one met my expectations for Comfortable, Clean and Quiet. The staff were all nice and friendly. Hot breakfast was OK, but definitely not bad and the social hour snacks and drinks were a very nice bonus! I was travelling for business and if it brings me to the area again, I will stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while she was undergoing outpatient therapy at a nearby medical facility. She ended up being admitted to the hospital, so it was just me the second week.
It wasn't exactly a vacation, I was pretty blue. But the staff here really lifted me up. They could
not have been nicer. Dana P., the assistant GM, was especially kind and accommodating when
I spoke with her by phone to arrange our accommodations. She really lifted me up. And
Matthew, the night mgr., was extremely friendly and supportive. He offered to keep the pool
and whirlpool open to me after the normal closing time because I couldn't use them any
earlier due to my work schedule and hospital visits. This experience has renewed my faith in
mankind!

And, by the way, the facility was great. Very clean and well maintained. They had everything
I could possibly need -- complimentary breakfasts (very good!), complimentary snacks/light
meals in the evening, nice indoor pool and whirlpool, exercise room with high quality
equipment that's clean and well maintained, and a laundry with decent washers and dryers.
Location is close to many restaurants and movie theaters.

I could not have been happier with the facility or staff! THANK YOU! --Chuck W., St. Charles,
IL

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room location. Parking spaces are close to the door.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles W
Reviewed May 9, 2013

So bad I checked out after one night when reserved for three, found another hotel nearby same price much better accommodations and service.

At first glance the hotel seemed to be a nice, cozy (little) hotel, pleasantly decorated. Upon entering the room, I noticed that the furnishings were badly scarred and old. They placed new curtains, duvet, etc to camouflage but the door to the kitchen cabinet was hanging from the hinges, the sofabed mattress was so disgusting it could not be slept on, but other areas were decent. The room was also tiny in comparison to most residence inn suites.

Although the hotel itself had plenty of rooms, they only issued rooms on the first couple of floors. The entire top half of the hotel was completely dark and they said there were no rooms available for change when I complained about my accommodations. They did not even offer to change the room after other guests checked out as I had a reservation for multiple days. I decided to check out of the hotel and find other accommodations instead of ruining my entire visit because of a bad stay.

I travel often for business. I am a Marriotts reward member and normally receive great value during my stays at Residence Inn. I've stayed in 5 (26 nights) already this year (2013). This is by far the worst experience I have had. I hope that this is a privately owned hotel because it is definitely not typical of those owned by Marriott. I read the other reviews and thought I must have entered the twilight zone or maybe they gave me the worst room in the hotel (207 - accessible - they did not have any other rooms available.) I hate to think that I was treated differently because of sex, race, appearance, etc....but I felt very unwelcome by several staff members. I would never stay or recommend this particular hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rdwarrior319
Dana P, Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We apologize your visit was less than satisfactory. Due to our high occupancy during your visit we were unable to select a room on a higher floor and apologize that your room layout was not what you were expecting. We take pride in our appearance and the satisfaction of our guests and are making improvements to enhance our guest experience. If at any time we may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with the General Manager. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenville
Hyatt Place Chicago/Naperville/Warrenville
HYATT house Chicago/Naperville/Warrenville
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago-Naperville
Hilton Garden Inn Naperville/Warrenville
Hotel Arista
Hotel Arista
#1 of 18 in Naperville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Naperville

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville? Share your experiences!