“Good for a variety of tastes”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Shanty

The Shanty
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Wadsworth
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions
Seattle, Washington
“Good for a variety of tastes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

It's sort of loud and very informal, with Wednesday and Friday fried food specials, but we enjoyed it. My baked walleye was slightly overdone, but the sauce was good. My husband's fried cod was very good, and my vegetarian cousin had an "eggplant napoleon" sandwich he said was excellent. We were there on a Friday, and the three-man band started up, with oldies well performed. I'd go again.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Debora_R_25

Milwaukee
“Good food and fun--but watch out for large groups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our party of 4 enjoyed our Saturday evening dinner at The Shanty in June 2013. Plenty of parking on the premises and our wait at 6:00 was not long at all. The sea bass in banana leaves and the tequila and orange grilled salmon were the highlights--quite good. The two classic shanty steaks (ribeye) were not memorable nor were the semi-warm vegetables and rice that came on the side. The only real complaint was the party of 15 that was seated next to us towards the end of our meal. After that flash mob meandered in, the decibel level increased significantly. We couldn't wait to get out of there so we could hear ourselves talk and went to a Starbucks in Gurnee to do that and to grab a post dinner coffee.

We will recommend The Shanty to friends and will be back at some point. Hopefully, the table of 15 won't.

1 Thank CobrasU8
Chicago, Illinois
“Just GO, they were on the food network!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Shanty has all the charm and quaintness that you've heard about. The buzz is true, It's a romantic just for two or a family of twenty two ideal restaurant. So go, your food is going to be delicious, unique, and cooked by a 5 star culinary cowboy who can keep this oasis afloat just by doing what he's doing night after night before riding off into the sunset of food folklore. Yes Yes, they can cook like the dickens! So how's about the reason for the average rating? If all the heart and soul stays is in the kitchen then the water served at the table is going to be bitter. What I mean is the waitstaff isn't invested and/or management isn't either. Maybe they are all family or family's family but they aren't feeling the fever of the potential this place could have to make Chicago foodies trek to Whadsworth, IL. or even do a highway stop off for more than petro.
When we inquired about any cider that was offered on the menu as we are gluten free, our waitress said sorry we don't have anything like that here. We had requested gluten free accommodations for the salad, the soup, etc. but my prime rib came sitting on top of piece of wheat bread and the waitress never paused once as I lifted my steak off and removed the bread from under it. It was an oversight I am sure and I really enjoyed the steak, but poor attention to detail.
The next day we ate lunch at Captain Porky's, The Shanty's sister restaurant, located right next door. They offered both gluten free beer and cider and I joked that I couldn't have one at lunch time but the gentleman said that they share the kitchen with The Shanty and it's available at both establishments if we wanted to come back later for dinner.
So I could have had cider with my dinner the night before if my waitress had known, cared, or asked!? Again, attention to detail.
The Shanty's 2 star waitstaff doesn't pair well with the 5 star food which makes the experience just average.

Michigan
“Excellent Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

While driving on I94 home from visiting family in Wisconsin, we stopped for dinner at The Shanty. An awesome country atmosphere with reclaimed local barn wood decor yet modern style sets the tone for the great food and service. Even though the parking lot was packed, we were able to get a seat from the friendly hostess right away, and were promptly greeted by our server, who gave us fast friendly service the entire evening. We were given pretzel roll bread and bean salad to start, very good! My husband enjoyed his bison burger and I the Shanty Burger, however the restaurant offered finer dining choices such as salmon and filet mignon. We sat in the front dining room, where the tables are a little close, a little music in the front room would help from hearing everyone else's conversations. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to any couple for a evening out.

1 Thank MemberP
kenosha, wi
“THE best sea bass ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I finally got around to dining at the Shanty. I love just about any kind of fish, but my favorite is sea bass. There aren't many restaurants that even have sea bass on the menu and when I found it was on the Shanty menu, I just had to try it. The sea bass here is the BEST I have ever had. It is served in a banana leaf, the seasoning is just perfect and it is cooked to perfection. Accompanying vegetables are prepared perfectly. When I need my next sea bass "fix" I will definitely be going back.

1 Thank bobbi1849