“Nice comfy room, nice quiet hotel, nice price”
Review of The Lotus Suites

The Lotus Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wadsworth
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I found this place on Hotels.com. Got a pretty good rate for staying 3 nights. Its in a nice quiet area. Its not just off the freeway or next to any train tracks. It has a golf course and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Our room was spacious. We had comfortable beds, plenty of pillows. We had a refrigerator, 1000 watt microwave. Wireless Internet was good, never had any connection problems or speed issues during our 3 night stay. TV was older tube TV instead of flat screen HD TV.

Pool area was ok. Not real big or elaborate, but it was ok. Pool temp could of been a bit warmer. Hot tub was small, could only fit 3 or 4 adults at the most.

Free breakfast buffet each morning was nice. Comfortable setting, and pretty good food. Eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, cereal, oat meal, fresh fruit, coffee, juices, milk. This worked out nice, didn't have to stop somewhere & pay for a breakfast each day.

We drove 20 min each day to the Waukegan Metra, and rode into downtown Chicago & checked out the museums. Train ride was an hour long each way. Freeway was just as long from downtown to hotel. We shopped at Gurnee Mills Outlet mall, about 10 or 15 minute drive from hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank WIBob54165
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

I appreciate you taking time to write this review and I hope you give us the oppurtunity to serve you better during your next visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2007

My family just got back from staying at this hotel for 2 nights. First they only had us down for 1 night which we did not know until we tried to get into our room after spending the second day at Great America and they locked us out of our room. They quickly resolved it. The rooms were clean. The pool is VERY small and the hot tub, not even worth visiting as it does not work at all. Just like sitting in a hot tub of water, no jets work on it. The employees were pretty rude though. I actually went down for the breakfast buffet at 8:45 with my 2 small children. The employees decided that they wanted to take down the buffet as it ends at 9. I still had at least 10 minutes. They started shutting down stuff and taking it away while I was trying to get food for the kids. I did get them something and opt not to eat myself. The employees were saying loud enough so I could hear that GEEZ, the buffet closes at 9. I think their clocks were off a little and plus, I didn't see any reason to hurry up and take everything away as everything was FULL. What was the harm in it. Overall, the location was good and the rooms were good but watch out for the crappy employees at breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rjk0303
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me apologize for the inconvenience you faced during breakfast, I am sure it was never the intention of the previous management to do so. However, we are currently under new ownership and management since March 2008 and we apologize for your previous experience.

We can assure you that you will never face any employees being rude or the breakfast being taken out before 9.00 am. It is my understanding that our breakfast is now out until 15 minutes after on most occasions.

I hope you do choose us in the near future and give us a chance to show you our hospitality.

Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed here back in 2005 for 2 nights. Then it was excellent and not to far from Six Flags & Gurnee Mills Mall. This year we stayed for 3 nights. But now the beds are getting way too old, and the pillows are terrible. It has been 6 nights since I woke up with a stiff neck from the bad beds, and I am still in pain. The breakfast is still verygood, frenchtoast, eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns and juice, coffee, ect. The place is pretty nice, on a golf resort. Big rooms and nice kitchen area with a table for 4. Nice pool and hottub.
Never did use the workout room. The staff was very helpful when we ask for something, like getting an extra blanket and places to order food. We like the place, But I will not go back, until I know they have updated the beds! Next year we will try somewhere else, and I hope we get better beds with same everything else. Someone let me know when they do, so we can go back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you because of the beds, however we did go through a lot of changes since the new management took over since March 2008. I can personally assure you that if you decide to choose us, you will be pleased.

We will be looking forward to your stay with us in the near future and to assure you are well taken care of, please email me directly at dos.wadsowrthil@hawthorn.com for your reservation.

A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past few years. Initially, I loved it. The service was solicitious of my comfort and worked hard to accomodate all my needs. For example, I stayed for business, and couldn't often stay for the breakfast. The night clerk went out of her way to make sure I had something--oatmeal, fruit, juice, etc. to take with me. I also loved the syrups available for the 24 hour coffee available in the lobby. I stayed in a studio, and never felt the room was too small or the bed uncomfortable.

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed some subtle changes, and not for the better. At one time, I would have given the hotel the highest rating possible. Then, they removed the syrups a couple of years ago, and while they replaced them with french vanilla and regular creamers, I just don't have the same fondness.for them. The last time I stayed, having arrived there after a snowstorm, they shut down breakfast 30 minutes early. They apologized and scrambled to make accomodation, but if they'd just stayed open, or would have called me to find out if I were coming down to breakfast, this could have been avoided. Also, I'm not familiar with this area, needed to take a cab back to my place of business, and needed one that could take a credit card.It was only after I pleaded that they made the calls to the cab companies for me. Perhaps it was just a bad or stressful day, but I felt that type of service should have been a given, not a privilege. While I would have rated this an outstanding hotel at one time, it is still an above average stay, clean, and worthwhile. If they worked on a couple of these issues, it could be back up to excellent.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologize for your past experience, we have been under new ownership and management since 2008.

I assure you that your next stay will be pleasant. We have our breakfast hours from 6.30 to 9.00 on weekdays and 7.00 to 10.00 on weekends.

We have made a lot changes and upgrades since your stay in 2006 and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us during your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2006

I made my reservation online at the Hawthorn suites website. I had a confirmation number and everything but when I got to the hotel the attendant couldn't find my reservation. He told me that there were rooms anyway and that he'd checked me in. He convinced me that I'd made reservations at the Hawthorn Suites in Vernon Hills by mistake. I called the Hyatt Passport customer service and the Hawthorn suites reservations and no one could find my reservation. In fact they said that they don't handle reservations at this location anymore (huh?).

I brought groceries and pizza and everything so I needed a full kitchen. The attendant first checked us into a studio suite but I'd reserved a 1 bedroom. He checked us into a 1 bedroom after waiting but it still didn't have a full kitchen. He proceeded to check us into a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen for the studio suite price. The dishwasher was broken and the bedrooms are quite small. There were not all the kitchen utensils to work with like at other full kitchen suite areas like a pizza cutter and cutting board.

I decided to stay at the hotel and asked the manager if I could keep the same room at the same rate and she said that I couldn't. Well we decided to downgrade to the one bedroom. It is nice but once again the bedroom was small. There is a small refrigerator and a microwave oven and a lot of cabinets and counter space with a sink. However the handle on the toilet broke. I notified the attendant and she sent someone in to fix it. Breakfast was meagre and not like the embassy suites or homewood suites and it didn't change from day to day. I told the attendant when I would be checking out and I even asked if I would be paying the same rate. She said that I would but when I checked out I was only given the reduced rate for my trouble for two nights and I was given the rack rate for the third night though I was promised something different.
I might probably return to this hotel but not right away. The ballrooms are beautiful and the pool area is nice. There is going to be a nice indoor waterpark soon. I was very comfortable and near the outlet malls and Wisconsin but I was very disappointed in the rooms, the breakfast, and the check in/check out experience--billing.

3  Thank LorettaDN

Dear Madam,

I apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay back in 2006. However, we have a new ownership and management since 2008 and we can assure you if you do decide to stay at our hotel again you will have a great check in and check out experience and you reservation will not be misplaced.

With regards to the kitchenette suites, we currently only have our one bedroom suites and two bedroom suites equipped with them. While making reservations please emphasize your need for kitchenettes.

Once again I do apologize for your sour experience and it will be our pleasure if you stay with us in the future. Please email me at dos.wadsworthil@hawthorn.com for your next reservation and I will make sure you will recieve the best value.

Jeshal Sheth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadsworth
The Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, BW Premier Collection
The Inn at Market Square
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion

Been to The Lotus Suites? Share your experiences!