“An oasis in the middle of the woods”
Review of The Lotus Suites

The Lotus Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wadsworth
Winchester, Virginia
“An oasis in the middle of the woods”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Nothing spotty about my trip. I was on a business trip and planned for one night, but as soon as I checked into my room I called down and said "make it 2 nights." Totally comfortable room, bed was great, and I couldn't have been happier. In my case, I had no time to enjoy some of the amenities as I was there to work. But wow, what a great place to do so. I recommend getting a suite as I did, as it allows you to work in one room and then close the door and go in the separate bedroom. Wifi was perfect, easy to log on, nice and quiet room, and there's plenty of restaurants within 2 miles for when you have to get away for an hour. The location was surprising to me as my Garmin took me on some back roads and I thought "great, another fleabag in the middle of nowhere" but man, it was a very welcome respite.

Room Tip: Had a suite, and it was great value for the money.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IamOptimusPrime
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Sir,

I thank you for your lovely comment and I am very glad that this indeed work out very well for you purpose of visit. I hope you come visit us again, and I will make certain you recieve the same level on comfort and content everytime.

During your next trip, hopefully if it is during the golf course being open, I would recommend playing a round of golf or even fishing.

Once again I thank you for your stay and looking forward to your patronage.

Director - Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cadiz, Kentucky
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in November 2010 and it was wonderful! I actually lenghtened my stay several nights because it was so nice. However, they debited my bank account $20 a day when I checked in, in case I used any amenties. This overdrew my account. I was told by the hotel staff that it wasn't really a debit. My bank (PNC, Zion, IL) disagreed and continued to charge me overdraft fees until my account was overdrawn by close to $500.
The hotel did reverse their charges and the debit/credit does not appear on my statement but my bank (PNC) would not.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologize for the inconvenience with the bank. Typically with most of the hotels, there is a incidental fee of $20 and up held on your card, above and beyond the room and tax amount. This is typically released on the day of your check-out, if you have not used any of the additional paid services such as long distance calls, pay per view movies and more. With credit cards, the money is released within 24 hours, but with the debit cards, the banks take any where from 2 to 10 business days. Our front desk agent should have made you aware of the same and I apologize for that. Because of this inconvenience we will make certain in the future we will give you a VIP treatment and a free upgrade to one of our suites. Please take a print out of this and show it to our front desk agent during the next visit.

Director of Sales
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed in two rooms in October to get together with family and shop in Gurnee. The rooms were really spacious and well laid-out. The pool was nice and clean, as were the rooms. The beds were really comfortable. The service was very spotty, however, and that goes a long way in making or breaking your stay. The problems we had were that the entry really reaked of animal urine. The second night we stayed we got another room for arriving family, and that room had a strong urine smell too, and there were no other rooms available and the hotel was trying to get us to pay for that room, even after they went into the room and confirmed the urine smell, which had been heavily sprayed to try and mask the smell. The breakfast the first morning, while having a good variety, was not staffed well. Everything was out and not refilled in a timely manner, and the waffle batter was so thin that it wouldn't make a waffle. They were constantly out of silverware, even coffee and juice! The second morning, however, they had a good staff person who kept things filled and the batter was correct and we had a great breakfast. So all in all, I would say that this hotel's amenities were good, but the service made our stay only average.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

I appreciate you taking time to write this review and I hope you give us the oppurtunity to serve you better during your next visit.

Tracy, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while being evaluated at the Cancer Treatment Center in Zion. We had a room with one king bed and one queen the beds were very comfortable and had plenty of blankets and pillows. The sink and mirror were outside the bathroom which was very handy with 2 people getting ready in the morning. It had a good size refridgerator and microwave in room with sink and counter space too. There was also a huge mirror over this kitchenette area which helped with 2 of us putting on make-up. It was very peaceful and the staff was extremely nice and helpful. The shuttle driver (Robert) that drove us back and forth to the hospital was the best! They have a great breakfast: waffles, hot bar with different things each day like biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage or ham, scrambled eggs. They also had a cold side with fresh fruit every day, boiled eggs, and yogurts. They offer evening cookies at the front desk that were good. They have a Thursday night social evening where they have a choice of foods and drinks for free to enjoy. My daughter tried out the pool and it wasn't too cool or too warm, and it was well maintained. There was also a hot tub. There was a workout room next to the pool area. The area is rather secluded but nice. We even took a walk in the subdivision behind the hotel. The gold course looked beautiful, they had it set up for a wedding too. It was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Hawthorne Suites during a weekend trip to Great America. We booked 2 rooms (with 2 beds each - 1 King and 1 Queen). The rooms were beautifully appointed, clean and spacious. The sink was outside the bathroom./shower - which depending upon your tastes, is a good thing or bad thing. The complimentary toiletries were minimal (1 bar of soap and 1 bottle of shampoo - no lotion, conditioner or shower cap) - but this didn't bother us as we came prepared.

We had requested connecting rooms - and although the Hawthorne did not seem to have them, they did place our 2 rooms right across the hall from one-another, which was VERY much appreciated and convenient!

The room had a nice kitchen area w/fridge, sink, coffee maker and microwave. A nice table that seats 4 was a nice plus. The grounds are off the beaten path and very green, quiet and lovely. Very quiet at night. The beds are super comfortable - the most comfortable I've experienced in a hotel.

The free buffet breakfast is okay - nothing spectacular. There is a waffle maker, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, biscuits and gravy, and eggs (scrambled with ham, or plain omelets). The coffee is available 24/7 and comes out of a dispenser - nice to have at all hours, but not very flavorful. The dining area is nicely appointed and spacious. It was busy - but ample seating during our stay. We did eat there on the day we went to Great America - but went to the Cracker Barrel on Sunday after checking out.

The pool was clean - but not very big. In fact, this was one of the key aspects of our visit - we really wanted a spacious pool. The photos online are misleading and make the pool appear bigger than it really is. I was really quite shocked when I got there. But because we were the only people in the pool when we arrived - it was okay. Had there been even 2 or 3 more there - it would have been crowded. Unlike one of the other reviewers stated - the pool was NOT cold. It was, in fact, on the warm side - like tepid bath water.

The staff was exceptional and professional. Thanks to Gilbert who checked us in and accommodated our every request with gracious kindness and hospitality.

The Hawthorne is an easy drive to Great America and Gurnee Mills - if you don't mind an extra 15 minutes in the car. To us, it was well worth a few extra miles drive to come back to a clean, quite and lovely setting.

We would definitely stay here on future visits.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at The Lotus Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Sir,

I thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. Let me take this oppurtunity to assure you that you will have all the required bath amenities and a better breakfast presentation. We would like to serve you and your family during your next visit and make it memorable. Although we are off the beaten path you and a lot of our other guest have enjoyed the location and the greenery surrounding us. It is only because of guests such as you that we at the Hawthorn Suites have gained populairty and been able to excel stay over stay.

Jeshal Shet
Regional Director of Sales
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The place exceeded our expectations. We chose it due to its proximity to Six Flags. Well, first of all, they upgraded us for free to a two king-size beds room because a smaller one was not ready. The room was spacious, a rare feat in mid-range hotels these days. It also had a mini-kitchen, which we always find very convenient traveling with kids. The hotel itself sits right next to a golf club (I'm not a golf enthusiast, but those of you who are, may find this very convenient).

The hotel serves a basic breakfast in the mornings. They also have a pool. Another convenience is the guest laundry room where you can wash and dry your clothes.

I'd say the only shortcoming is that there's no food nearby (the bar/restaurant of the golf club was closed), so you need to drive a couple of miles to the nearest restaurant - still, it's only a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

I truly appreciate you taking time to send us your thoughts and comments. We are thrilled to know you were upgraded and that you enjoyed your stay. We will make sure we will enhance our breakfast options sooner than later.

We will also make sure to train our front desk to give you options of restaurants in the area. We have the Shanty which is located a mile from us and they give all our guest 15% discount. Also if you were here over the weekend, we have the Friday Night Fish Fry with Jazz Music at the Cove which is located within the hotel, adjacent to the golf course.

Due to our remote scenic and serene location we have partnered with restaurants to offer our guest 15 to 30% discount on their meals.

Hope you do choose to stay with us in the future and present me with an oppurtunity to serve you better.

Regional Director of Sales and Marketing
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This was my first time staying at this location. I stayed for 3 nights while in the area on business. First of all, for the golf lovers, the hotel shares the property with a very nice golf course. I wish I had brought my clubs and added an extra day to my trip to play 18. In any event, here's my take on this hotel.

I arrived after sunset. The first thing I noticed was this place is located in a rural/country setting. No other hotels or businesses around it, a couple of houses down the road, but for the main part, this hotel is surrounded by peaceful NW Illinois countryside. The parking lot was well-lit. The lobby was clean and inviting. The front desk person was very friendly and got me checked in relatively quickly.
I stayed in room #224. It was big, clean, and well appointed for my needs. The room had a kitchenette including a microwave, coffeemaker, minifridge, and sink. There were barstools and a breakfast bar.
A decent sized kitchen table with chairs, couch, television and coffee table rounded out the living portion of the room.
The bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. There's an iron and ironing board neatly hidden behind a mirrored wall unit. The bathroom was clean and the shower had lots of pressure and hot water.
Of utmost importance was the availability of wi-fi in the hotel. It worked great in my room, the lobby, breakfast area, and parking lot.
My only disappointment was the television which probably needs to be replaced. Everything and everyone on the screen had a reddish hue, which tells me it's about time for the thing to retire.
The breakfast bar had waffles, eggs, sausage, cold cereal, toast, coffee, juice, yogurt, and hash browns to choose from.
This hotel caters well to the business traveler. It's approximately a 15 minute drive from Six Flags so if you're going to the area for that it's another option besides the places closer to the park, in the middle of all the congestion.
If business brings me back to the area, I'll stay here there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

I thank you for all your positive comments and I thank you choosing us for your past stay and for your future stays as well. I apologize for the television issue and I will make certain we have that rectified, however we are moving to flat screen televisions by year end so you should be in for the treat.

Also if you forget to bring your clubs along, you can always ask the front desk and we can have the golf course rent you one. If not I will give you my personal clubs if necessary.

We truly appreciate your patronage.

Jeshal Sheth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadsworth
The Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, BW Premier Collection
The Inn at Market Square
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee

Been to The Lotus Suites? Share your experiences!