“Great spot for casual kid frienly dinner!”

Calzone & Macaroni Co.
Ranked #12 of 124 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Fast casual
Reviewed June 8, 2013

First visit with our four kids and they just blended in with all the other kids that were totally out of control. So that was good.

Macaroni came out pretty fast because the kids were excited and we like the fact there is free refills.

Sports on the TV-good for Dad!

Salad Bar-good for Mom!

3  Thank Adam L

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been here twice, the first time alone the second time with my family.The first time I ordered a calzone with spinach, onions, ricotta, mozzarella, chicken, and pesto. The ingredients were all fresh and the presentation was a lot better than it was for the first reviewer: it was a nice looking and good tasting golden brown calzone. The pesto came on the side with a side of marinara too. Both had good flavor. I did think the calzone was kind of small for $10 but they show you the size right when you order so it was no surprise.

The second time we went we tried some of the gluten free options we had a gluten free wrap and a gluten free flat bread(pizza). For my son we got the kids Mac and Cheese with spinach so he would get some veggies. The food, again, was all good. I believe they use Udi's gluten free products (pizza crusts and wrap, not sure on the pasta and calzone dough) and the co-owner said they prepare the gluten free items in a separate kitchen since their father had celiac's (not a need for us, but good to know for others). My wife, who eats gluten free, was impressed with all the options and said she would definitely come back and tell some of her friends who also eat gluten free.

So, in the end, this is a nice place with some good food. The only downside for me is that the portions are not that big. This is not the sort of place you are going to bring leftovers home from. Yet, the quality of the ingredients, nice atmosphere inside the small restaurant, and food do help make up for that.

I am sure we will be going back.

2  Thank TheBrooklynMet
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Forget the rest of the menu (though it IS good I am sure) and go straight for the lobster Mac. I've had lobster in gourmet places in port cities, and this one is by far better!

It is slightly pricy, but not outrageously.

Hope they keep making it work!

2  Thank DJBT
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Nice to see a new place(not a chain) in the area. Salad bar is fresh and oven looks amazing. I had a macaroni which is something I will be back for, but i will try a calzone next. Place is nice and clean as well!

2  Thank Ed S
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was highly anticipating the opening of this restaurant as the owner/chef is from one of my favorite restaurants (Park Street in Mundelein). Not only that but calzones and macaroni?! How can you go wrong... or so I thought. We phoned in an order for 7 people and I picked it up. First issue is that we had ordered calzones, macaroni, and 2 sandwiches. After I paid they said my food was around on the other side of the counter. I grabbed the stuff and said, "This is it?" and the server replied that it was. I got all the way to my car when I realized that I didn't have the 2 sandwiches. I walked back in and the cashier said it was around the counter. Well it was - but at a different location than my calzones and macaroni were picked up. Just a suggestion here but how about you put everything I ordered in one place? Also one person asked for fruit with their sandwich. They told me to grab it when I came in. I assumed the fruit would be a fruit cup - it's not. You can pick an apple or an orange. Just a little odd.

So now onto the food. 2 of us had the Buffalo chicken macaroni and that was really good. But the 3 of us who ordered calzones were a bit disappointed. 2 created their own and I shared a large cheeseburger calzone. We all agreed that they needed more flavor and that there should be some sauce on the inside! They give you sauce on the side but I think flavor wise it needed some sauce inside too. My last complaint is that the large size calzone is not worth the extra $3. It's not that big. Especially when you can get a calzone from Pizza Italia in Vernon Hills and it's huge and tastes excellent for about the same price! And the cheeseburger one was burnt (see picture). I have to cut this place a break and say I will give it a month or so and then try it again. Any new restaurant deserves a second chance after they have worked out a few of the kinks.

3  Thank Espo65