“Room was nice enough but BEWARE the wireless network upgrade”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vernon Hills
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The room was nice enough for the price--a clean and up-to-date bathroom and an okay kitchen (with limited counter and cabinet space), but I was very unhappy with the internet services. They provide a free connection with limited bandwidth and offer to sell you a higher-speed connection, but BEWARE. The higher speed connection must be purchased separately for each device. This is a ripoff.

Room Tip: Beware the upgraded internet options--it must be purchased separately for each device.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Jeremy S

Reviewed September 17, 2013

It is a very nice hotel and the staff is great. However, I gave this rating because the raise in rate changes is unacceptable. I was here for a very long time. The rates went up over the summer and I was told that they would go back down. After paying the higher rates for those 3 months, I was then told that they would not, in fact, be going down, at least for a couple of more months.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about our guest service; however, we apologize that our hotel rate changes were not communicated to you properly. In response to your feedback, I am working with our staff to ensure that they understand our rate plans, how they fluctuate and the proper messaging to use when speaking with guests on this topic.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cvh@extendedstay.com.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Location - Excellent location. It is at the end of a huge shopping complex. There are many shopping complexes and a Mall within walking distance. Since it is at the end of it, there is no noise. It is in a very safe area.
Conveniences - If you don't have a conveyance then they have a shuttle every Sunday morning that will take you to grocery shopping.
Guests - Most people staying here are professionals who are here for few month assignments.
Room - This is a renovated property. All in all the room, bathroom, kitchen, etc were good. One of the things I noticed is that depending on the floor you are in, you may smell the food being cooked in other rooms, and that's because the kitchen exhaust pipe is common. You will smell the food aroma in the hallways too.
Laundry - Washers/Dryers were always available. I made it a point to use them at odd hours and days. May be that helped.
Front Desk - People at the front desk were very nice and helpful in all shifts.

The only reason I gave it a 4 star instead of 5 is because of the food smell of other rooms in my room and the state of carpet everywhere [which is understandable due to high usage].

Room Tip: If you want to see some nature then ask for the pond facing room. If you want to see activity then a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are glad to hear that the convenience of amenities such as washer/dryer and Sunday shuttle added to your stay. We appreciate you letting us know about the smell in the hallway, we will work with the housekeeping staff in controlling the smell of food. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with great sleep quality, service and that you enjoyed the location.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

You have all near by, except for downtown, but you almost have a little bit of everything. The guest service is very nice and the rooms are very comfortable. All the staff is very friendly, beginning with Gisela and at the end with MIRIAN. Yvi, the new trainee, took the job very professionally and my personal experience was great. I barely missed my house back home. I will recommend this place to anyone that may need a place to rest after a long business day.

Room Tip: Well...it does not have either a restaurant or a swimming pool...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such positive things about us. I am proud of our team for making this your home away from home.

The entire team and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Thank you for my stay for pleasure! The staff are so sweet here, they are always kind and sweet to me !especially like Diana. She is great. Give her a raise.

love the morning breakfast bar.
thanks so much

Room Tip: stay away from front door and smokers
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Shirley - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We love hearing from our guests especially with such positive feedback. We are so happy to read that you loved our grab-and-go breakfast as well as how friendly the entire team was to you during your stay.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's a little far from many things but it is quiet and clean. The staff is personable and very helpful. The new breakfast bar is great.
There is no crime in VH and the people are courteous and friendly. I will be back often.

• Stayed: November 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Josh - Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback, we truly appreciate hearing from our guests. The staff and I love that our hotel is 'tucked away' while at the same time being within walking distance to so many local businesses, restaurants and stores. We are so glad that you enjoyed this feature as well.

Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

As a hospitality executive, I am very happy to have this facility as my temporary residence and can comment with a modicum of industry expertise on why they are terrific. It begins with the manager, Jillian, who from day one greeted me with cheer and has obviously instilled that vibe within her team who are excellent with guests (not just me, I observe their encounters with others). The facility was recently remodeled (beautiful) and is very user-friendly from a guest perspective. I am happy when I return!

Room Tip: They have great views East and South.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel. My staff and I take a lot of pride in our hotel and always strive to provide a clean room and excellent service to all of our guests. I will be sure to share your remarks with the entire staff, including Jillian.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon Hills
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
#1 of 2 in Lake Bluff
Residence Inn Chicago Lake Forest/Mettawa

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest? Share your experiences!