“Worth a Visit”

Jason's Deli
Ranked #11 of 123 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: American, Soups, Fast Food
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
vernon hills, il
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I did and its now a favorite for me. They have a variety of organic (mostly) sandwich options, including the ability to define your own options, and decent salad bar. You order at counter, get your own salad/drink, sit yourself, and meal is brought out to you. So its just slightly classier than fast-food, slightly more expensive, but better quality & more healthful.

• Visited April 2012

China
“Papa Joe's The Way To Go”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Papa Joe's was a nice change up in the food choices for me. I had been traveling in Vernon Hills for work and stopped by after noticing their signage fronting N. Milwaukee Ave. It is a short 5 minute walk from the Hotel Indigo where I was staying and seemed like a good place to check out.

I was warmly greeted at this store by a person who spoke perfect English (previous reviewer must have had a different experience!) who took my order quickly. I had the Papa Joe's sandwich. It was great and the quality of ingredients was much better. Having eaten at Panera Bread the day before the difference was night and day. Panera Bread was more greasy, seemed that the ingredients weren't that fresh. At Jason's Deli the food looked and tasted much more clean and fresh. The size of the sandwich wasn't that big but I was starving so probably ate it really too fast.

Apparently there is free soft serve ice cream, but for me that negates the experience of trying out a place that is focused around more healthy fresh options. The staff pointed out the free ice cream but I politely declined.

• Visited November 2011
Barrington, IL
“Liked the food, hated the atmosphere - or lack thereof”
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Our first time at any Jason's. We tip-toed just inside the door and grabbed a menu. A minute or two into reading all the different ways you can request your sandwich, the manager came over and gave us an overview. Usually we hate it when anyone asks "is this your first time here?" because it makes us feel either stupid or like outsiders...... This manager did make us feel welcomed and indeed pointed out this is more than an ordinary deli (ie subway, jimmy johns, and the like) He sold us on the food. Jason's is seriously trying to provide ORGANIC foods at regular prices, We were amazed. Very good meat quality and quantity. Order your sandwich EXACTLY how you want it. Nice salad bar (many organics, not yet 100% but they are working on it)

We liked the food and offerings and we would have been impressed, but we downright hated that industrial bare-floor, open-ceiling with hvac duct work look! Hope Jason's didn't pay a designer to do it because NO talent was involved in assembling that drab warehouse. It's cold, uninviting, uncomfortable and feels dirty. In fact, many things WERE dirty. Multiple pieces of silverware had CHUNKS of food left on them, as were many of the black stacked dishes for the complimentary ice cream (I shouldn't complain - it was free, right?) Floor - again, dirty. Counters by drink dispenser - not wiped down. I have to doubt Jason's entire cleaning routine based on the examples we saw. They were NOT busy - so no excuses. And BTW Jason's - please hire people who can speak the local language which is English. Ironically, it appears the non-english comprehension folks had the job resposibility for all the cleaning issues. Maybe they can't understand the cleaning guidelines ..... And when you point out a dirty utensil to them, ask for a clean one and they give you a deer in headlights look - you have a problem. We readily recommend the food - just carry it out!