“Sunday Roast!”

The Coach & Horses Inn
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Really really lovely friendly place and have been here serveral times but the last couple of times we have been we are very disappointed in the roast meat. The beef was still very red(which i know some people do eat it like this) but it was very tough to cut and really chewy so not as enjoyable as previous visits! A friend had said to us she had this experience a few months back but we thought we would give it another go but not impressed because we use to love it and never had anything to moan about. But If this is now how you cook your meat then it might be worth telling the customer so they are aware and can make their own choice in what they have. Apart from that everything else is just lovely! Pudding's to die for!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Coach & Horses Inn

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed for three nights on business . Very comfortable stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They made us feel very welcome. The food was of a very high standard. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Highly recommmended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on business in the area, preferring to stay at small inns with rooms. I usually find these quite friendly places when you are on your own and better value for money than large hotel chains.
There is bags of authentic character in the oub and the rooms in the courtyard have been designed to fit in with this very sympathetivcally. The food was also very good as was the wine.
I was a little disappointed that this is far more a restaurant than village pub that serves food. I understand that puns have to focus on the trade that birngs in the income and makes them successful. There seem little area to sit and relax with a drink in, more geared up to people waiting for tables to go into the mainm part of the inn, which is the restaurant. I think I expected to meet up with locals in the bart and maybe chat to some of them, but it doesn't seem that kind of venue.
I did enjouy the food but was disappointed that no one came to ask if my food was all right and once I had eaten my main course I was ignored completely. It would have been nice to have been asked if I would like a dessert or another galls of wine. In the end I went to the bar and got my own.
There was a large party in as well as a good few people who seemed to be regulars who seemed to know the chef by name. I jusy felt they were given the best customers service and because I was dining alone I was quietly forgotten about. Pity, as I did like the food and my room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Had a good meal here last night, 13 April, apart from the wine at the bar..
This white wine at the bar, presumably the house wine, was like drinking grapefruit. I would not recommend it. Don't know what they had done to it.
Had to have lemonade to take away the taste. Don't think I was the only one as a glass of the same wine was abandoned by someone else on another table.
Never had this problem here before. Hope they will change their house wine as don't want this to put me off one of my favourite places to eat..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
davmcp, Owner at The Coach & Horses Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Many thanks for your review & sorry you did not like the wine style choosen on your recent visit that we would have been more than happy to change if asked .

we offer 4 white wines by the glass to cover most tastes listed on the blackboard behind the bar & you are most welcome to" try before you buy" .

Côtes de Gascogne, Cuvée Jean-Paul, France (1)
fresh, dry and lively with the tang of sweet grapefruit

Sauvignon Blanc, Sierra Grande, Chile (2)
vibrant, dry, lemoney sauvignon

Pinot Grigio, Sanvigilio, Pavia, Italy (1)
tangy dry Pinot with apple and citrus notes; sauce for a seafood salad

Chardonnay, Austarlia (3)
oaked chardonnay, full bodied and peachy, quite concentrated flavours

Riesling Kabinett, Kreuznacher, Nahe, Germany (4)
fruity, fresh and elegant with a bouquet reminiscent of summer flowers

Our white wines by the glass have a scale from 1-5 :
(1 ) denotes drier style
(5) denotes sweeter style

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This place is amazing value for money. It has friendly staff, comfy beds, good beer and is only a short cab ride from Le Manoir if you're going there to eat. Breakfast was excellent. Meals in the evening are reasonablly priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have eaten here before and its always busy so you need to book.
Whilst the food is good I found on this occasion that everything was accompanied by some sort of rich sauce. Although you sometimes want that, Its nice to have the choice.
Having said that, the food is well presented and hot and the service is good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
davmcp, Owner at The Coach & Horses Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your review & positive comments , There are items served with a sauce on our winter menu but we can always serve it seperatly in a sauce boat or serve the dish with no sauce , We are happy to serve any dishes the way you would like them just ask when you place your order.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just returned from The Coach and Horses where we stayed for a weekend away exploring Oxford. Our room in a stable block to the rear of the pub was spotlessly clean and sufficient for our visit, with tea and coffee making facilities. We were made extremely welcome and enjoyed meals in the busy pub/ restaurant both evenings booking is DEFINATELY recommended. The seafood specials were delicious as was the steaks .Breakfast was the usual traditional fayre was served in the restaurant - which looks a bit grubby in the light of day but very enjoyable and freshly cooked. Despite my recommendation I doubt we will return as I found the bed extremely uncomfortable : (

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiselhampton
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Jurys Inn Oxford
Jurys Inn Oxford
#7 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Coach & Horses Inn? Share your experiences!